Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

47 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I had already posted about the Lockheed 1105, but this video is just great - it not only shows how giganormous this monster would be, but somehow the youtuber found a BBC's report about it!!!

Geez imagine the part count...

Posted (edited)

Boeing sent a mission to ISS and a malfunction on the craft left the astronauts stranded.

SpaceX will launch a recue mission. :)

What could be more Kerbal? :D

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cwy47w9yndpo

(oh, boy... Elon Musk must be laughing his cheeks out!)

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made less entertaining.

8 hours ago, DDE said:

Konstantin Chaykin's ThinKing

1.65 mm

scale_720

But why!?

Perhaps a desperate attempt to reduce the exposed surface for attacks? :P

I've started Chertok's Of Rockets and People. Expect this thread to be enriched.

Let's start with the way the memoir introduces Glushko. He drove his Olympia from the Mittelwerke to the Rabe Institute with the handbrake on, the brakes are letting off smoke by the time he arrives and demands help with his car trouble.

His passenger is Georgy List, his unwilling subordinate and a former deputy director of ZIS, the Soviet truck-making center and one of the country's bigges car whizzes. Of course, Glushko forbade him from giving him advice while he was driving.

There's this fantastic video from a Russian pilot getting screwed by a malfuction on his SU-35 Fly by Wire system.

TL;DR. the damned thing could not be flew into level flight because something kicked in firewalling the engine and pushing her nose up.

In the end, the pilot managed to go into a controlled spiral descending into the airstrip and activated the drag chutes over it to force the craft into a (very low) altitude stall, almost trying to kill the tarmac with the craft's landing gears.

Kraken knows how many landings I did using the chutes like that! :)

I would love to link the video here, but the pilot exercised some coloured verbiage during the event and the video didn't cut the audio out on these occurrences (nice opportunity to learn how to curse in Russian, by the way).

But you can find the video easily on Youtube by using the phrase "Pilot Saves Crippled Su-35 (FCS Failure)"

If anyone speaking Russian finds a Forum friendly video for this stunt, please advise! :)

"When almost all permanent writing was done in ink, steel ink erasers were in wide use before the invention of chemical ink erasers. Metal erasers were essentially small knives, used to shave away or scrape off ink from a writing surface. This was the downfall of Metropolitan Life office boy George Millet, who fell on an ink eraser kept in his breast pocket while trying to evade the kisses of six steno girls on his 15th birthday. Millet was stabbed in the heart and died on the way to hospital."

12 hours ago, DDE said:

"When almost all permanent writing was done in ink, steel ink erasers were in wide use before the invention of chemical ink erasers. Metal erasers were essentially small knives, used to shave away or scrape off ink from a writing surface. This was the downfall of Metropolitan Life office boy George Millet, who fell on an ink eraser kept in his breast pocket while trying to evade the kisses of six steno girls on his 15th birthday. Millet was stabbed in the heart and died on the way to hospital."

Jesus Christ! It's real!!! :confused:

On 9/10/2024 at 9:03 AM, kerbiloid said:

After surfing the Novosti Kosmonavtiki forum, his biased fairy tales are even not funny.

This forum probably became a riot during the Staliner drama, no? :)

Edited by Lisias
brute force post merge

17 hours ago, DDE said:

Jeez that sounds awful, but I have a phobia of most sharp objects so yeah.

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

This forum probably became a riot during the Staliner drama, no?

Absolutely no.
80% were sure that they will return either by this Starliner, or by Dragon.

~10% were sure that they will stay living there.

P.S.
Also, there was a wordplay question: "Кто сядет за Старлайнер?" / "Who will sit by/for Starliner"

A wordplay:
1. "will sit" = "will land"
2. "will sit" = "will be sitting in a prison"

19 hours ago, DDE said:

office boy George Millet, who fell on an ink eraser kept in his breast pocket while trying to evade the kisses of six steno girls on his 15th birthday. Millet was stabbed in the heart and died on the way to hospital."

Love hurts.

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

Metal erasers were essentially small knives, used to shave away or scrape off ink from a writing surface.

Spoiler

The-Death-of-Marat-detail-by-Jacques-LouLdQ5xtvz3l_wXjjv45vwwtYLHHi5iYh1nPKaJfI5images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWV9AV4hr9Rtye61LmFYG

She returned to edit her post.

The most educated race

Spoiler

in the Middle-Earth.

A combined paper cutter and ink eraser.

Screenshot-2021-09-22-184052.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Also, there was a wordplay question: "Кто сядет за Старлайнер?" / "Who will sit by/for Starliner"

A wordplay:
1. "will sit" = "will land"
2. "will sit" = "will be sitting in a prison"

You know, I think they are right on the money on this one.

This damned thingy had the same problems on the 2nd Orbintal Test. I mean... They sit on their hands on the problem since then?

Lockheed's Orion was launched to the Moon and came back at 2022, right? Someone at Boeing surely had received the memo...

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The most educated race

They surely know how to make you open your heart to them... :sticktongue:

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made slightely less entertaining...

11 minutes ago, DDE said:

Canberra PR.9 bombardier was an afterthought...

nzvuvDs5G_4.jpg?size=564x1221&quality=95

In English Electric’s defence I’m pretty sure PR indicates it was for photoreconnaissance, meaning this was designed to go as fast as possible at high altitude on a single, precalculated route.

This guy probably just had to push some buttons to activate the cameras when a buzzer, triggered by the pilot, rang, indicating they were over the target area.

Reading about the Canberra a little just now I have to say, what bad luck it and other early Cold War jet bombers built around WW2 era specifications had. It was supposed to be the jet powered replacement for the Mosquito, a legendary aircraft.

But by the time it came on the scene, the Soviets already had a horde of MiG-15s with the GSFG- ironically powered by reverse engineered British engines- and had war broken out would probably not have had the spectacular record its prop ancestor had.

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

ironically powered by reverse engineered British engines

All late-1940s Soviets jet planes were. Including MiG and Su fighters, and Il-28, carrying the first serial nukabomb RDS-4 aka Tatiana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Nene

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Derwent

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

This guy probably just had to push some buttons to activate the cameras when a buzzer, triggered by the pilot, rang, indicating they were over the target area.

It looks like he has his own sight, with red cap.

The original Mi-24 took first flight today. But that's not I came with here today.

I came here with BZh-1 titanium helicopter pilot mail (13 kg for the cuirass and 3 kg for the ZSh-3B helmet)

bronezhilet-armija-sssr-mnogo-foto-49651

1_scymaqBMo.jpg?size=461x604&quality=96&

The guy looks really confused what sci-fi franchise he's supposed to be in

The Kerbal among humans: Scott Winton and his Facet Opan flying... thingy. :)

Can't make a turn without scratching the wings on the ground (just like my planes on KSP!). I wonder how much "maintenance" :D the wings would need before taking off again!

And since we here:

A bit less Kerbal (no ground scratching!), but in the same spirit!