Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

Today I was looking at my phone and walked into a sliding glass door.

My dog was following beside me in a very excited manner. My phone fell very close tp said dog... why spooked and ran into the same door that I did.

I immediately pictured Jeb for some reason.

Today is the thirtieth anniversary of Aeroflot flight 953. The one where the second pilot decided to let his two kids hop into the seat for a bit, and the son lost control and tugged hard the stick on his way out.

75 dead.

Edited by DDE

11 hours ago, DDE said:

Today is the thirtieth anniversary of Aeroflot flight 953. The one where the second pilot decided to let his two kids hop into the seat for a bit, and the son lost control and tugged hard the stick on his way out.

This was terribly heart-breaking (every one is, but by some reason some are perceived differently than others). They almost managing to get control back, but then stalling again (~2:10) makes things even harsher.

Some time ago, I was toying with an AutoPilot and due an input error, the damned thing nose dived and hug the grass before I could manage to disengage the auto-pilot. Remarkably similar to the 737MAX accidents, and not too much time after them.  My spine froze during the whole "event", and I took some precious seconds before overcoming my surprise and stupor (I immediately correlated that to both crashes, it was really, really awful) before started to salvage the situation.

I couldn't fly a plane on KSP for a couple days after it.

Sometimes, being able to reproduce Real Word "Karbalisms" on KSP can be very troubling...

12 hours ago, DDE said:

The one where the second pilot decided to let his two kids hop into the seat for a bit, and the son lost control and tugged hard the stick on his way out.

Several months later I saved my dad's An-2 by rejecting same offer, lol.

KSP obviously lacks Kerbal Kids in addition to the trio.
They could do funny things onboard, like playing with controls.
Also they would be twice smaller and lightweight, so could replace KerbaLaika, as the developers didn't add test animals.

19 hours ago, DDE said:

75 dead.

TIL.

Reading more on Wikipedia led me to these too similarly shocking incidents- Pinnacle Airlines Flight 3701, where the pilots took it to an unsafe altitude for fun (to join the “club” of pilots who had done so), and Aeroflot Flight 6502, where the captain bet he could do an instrument only landing and thus closed the blinds of the aircraft. No passengers were onboard in the first incident, but both crew were killed. 63 passengers died in the second one and seven more in hospitals. The co-pilot had a heart attack shortly afterward but the captain survived and was sentenced to 15 years in prison, but it was reduced to 6.

All that brings to mind the 684th Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment, which was actually disbanded in 1989 because of an accident in July 1988 that killed civilians in Tiraspol. I don’t know the details but it must have been pretty serious to warrant such action.

On 10/26/2023 at 2:38 PM, DDE said:

Aleksandr Konstantinov, one of the weapons designers who tried to unseat the Kalashnikov rifle during the 5,45 mm rifle trials, had apparently heard that lowering the recoil axis reduces mizzle climb... so he went all. Sources like Popenker claim this was actually built and submitted:

orig

Turns out the developers of FN P90 also had an upside-down gun moment:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by DDE

In 1916, two British destroyers on Dover patrol, HMS Zulu and HMS Nubian, had a very bad meeting with German ordnance. Each of them became half the ships they used to be.

So, at the height of WWI the British had two unserviceable halves of a ship.

Paging Doctor Frankenstein! Enter HMS Zubian.

Zubian.jpg

It wasn't a trivial surgery either. No two ships are exactly alike, even within the same order, and it turned out the beam was different by a whole two inches, but they got everything to fit (presumably, big hammers were involved).

23 hours ago, DDE said:

In 1916, two British destroyers on Dover patrol, HMS Zulu and HMS Nubian, had a very bad meeting with German ordnance. Each of them became half the ships they used to be.

So, at the height of WWI the British had two unserviceable halves of a ship.

Paging Doctor Frankenstein! Enter HMS Zubian.

Zubian.jpg

It wasn't a trivial surgery either. No two ships are exactly alike, even within the same order, and it turned out the beam was different by a whole two inches, but they got everything to fit (presumably, big hammers were involved).

This is not a joke, they REALLY called the thing HMS Zubian!!!

Merging crafts was always a nightmare, by the way... :P

226269839-5b02837d-6f0c-4bfa-965c-802988

A 1966 CPSU Central Committee memo on expanding production of ready-made breakfasts from popped rice. Besides a major point that's rather eye-raising in a Soviet paper (popped rice production lags behind because corn flakes are more profitable), it includes such gems as the Artillery Academy helping design an industrial popcorn machine (after all, it's "exploded cereals") and two full paragraphs on the advantages of Kellog's rice flakes (Rice Krispies?), the failure of the Soviets' efforts to replicate them, and the need to reach out to the British to license production.

https://t.me/tarkhils_channel/2591

15 hours ago, DDE said:

two full paragraphs on the advantages of Kellog's rice flakes (Rice Krispies?), the failure of the Soviets' efforts to replicate them, and the need to reach out to the British to license production.

"Comrades, we can not allow a cereal gap!"

Posted (edited)

When done on a show, it's a beautiful demonstration of airmanship.

When done on a "commercial" flight full of Kerbals err PAX, not that much... :sticktongue:

Looks like me trying to land the plane on the runway... I eventually manage to do that, but... Boy... Thanks Kraken nobody made a addon to make passengers to scream in terror!!! :P

=== == = POST EDIT

nobody made a addon to make passengers to scream in terror

huummmm.... :sticktongue:

Edited by Lisias
:D

Take a plane that it's being mercilessly bashed by the competition, replace the wings and go for the win! :)

(As long Editor don't mess things up!)

Grumman Panther.

(And the wings really made huge difference on the design...)

Maybe apocryphal, ascribed to cosmonaut Valentin Lebedev:

"And why is Gagarin a hero anyway?"

"Ever seen a ten-storey house. Imagine it's full of jet fuel. Imagine you're locked up in a tiny ball on top. Imagine they tell you that, if their calculations are correct, you're coming back alive, and then they set fire to the ground floor."

6 hours ago, DDE said:

That kinda gives me a vibe of Germany converting barges into landing craft for Operation Sea Lion because they had no experience in amphibious warfare beyond Norway.

Oh how American shipbuilding has fallen...

16 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Well, at least those had a decent run... on Lake Ladoga.

21 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

That kinda gives me a vibe of Germany converting barges into landing craft for Operation Sea Lion because they had no experience in amphibious warfare beyond Norway.

Make me think of Sealand and the offshore AAA platforms during WW 2. Idea might make some sense, but would it be much cheaper, powerful or more survival than a warship who can also do other stuff? 
It would also be very heavy targeted like US picket line destroyers during WW 2 in the pacific.