Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

2 hours ago, DDE said:

This is a legitimate "hot and high" takeoff technique

Now that was wild, yes it makes sense then you think about it.
Yes I know VTOL planes has the option to use an runway, who let you  especially taking off with heavier load than you could using trust only but never thought helicopters could do this. 

On 4/16/2023 at 5:51 AM, Lisias said:

There's no such thing as too much wheels!!!!

LOL, well it has the obvious problem that it tend to divert power to the spinning wheel making it less capable than using a single rear wheel. 
You could fix this using an belt around lower wheels making it an weird halftrack. 

It reminds me of an weird steam locomotive with 3 layers of wheels like this except they got smaller and smaller.  That was a scam project trying to get investors, they probably told them this crazy idea had some benefit. 

Last part here has some gems, probably designed for soldiers who had never operated an boat, like the breaks has no effect in water and you can use helmets to remove water. 
Earlier it had an issue in my point, not the tow cable passing trough the crew compartment and driver as you simply use an cable able to handle some times the power of the winch. 
Yes cables get damaged but I don't think the cable on this was in everyday use.

But the front air intake who require opening an closing all the time to avoid flooding or choking the engine, why not an lightweight funnel as part of the canopy to both get air into the crew compartment and the engine. In an watercraft in rough sea loosing engine power is very very bad as you can not point your bow against the waves. 
Some used one of these things going from Denmark to Sweden or Norway. As the ferry costs for trucks was to high :) 

And the real solution to the trolley problem. 
yl6VkSVh.jpg
Solve it before it becomes an problem for anything but the trolley. 
I looked at it for quite some time before realizing that is was an trolley solving solution. 

In contest, this is the railway station I use most days going to work. It has an platform on each side and a central rail who can be used to bypass gods trains or parking trains. 
It had three platforms earlier but that was not needed. 
But at the platform shown closest witch has only the option to redirect trains correctly or into the bridge foundation, who has limited use in running trains on timed schedules. For normal use the closest switch would never been used and might be bolted in turn left position 

But tracks goes downhill from here into an good sized railway station much larger than this and I assume they want to catch anything loose early. 

39 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

'Rock Island Auction Company'

How long until Ian McCollum photobombs The Chieftain by sheer accident? At least we know Drach and Rex aren't going to show up. Hopefully.

Unless someone decides to auction off USS Midway.

10 minutes ago, DDE said:

'Rock Island Auction Company'

How long until Ian McCollum photobombs The Chieftain by sheer accident? At least we know Drach and Rex aren't going to show up. Hopefully.

Unless someone decides to auction off USS Midway.

LOL did not notice it was for sale, and as I understand its plenty of them around. Duck tour and people doing crazy stuff. 
But before buying an WW 2 amphibious craft from an expensive action site I would get some expert help. 
The old student joke, I have an large can of rust removal so I will dissolve your car. 

I really surprised no one posted this here yet!!! :)

What could be more kerbalistic than Elon Musk destroying his launchpad (what he probably did a lot while playing KSP, by the way!!!)

this-photo-from-april.jpg

https://universemagazine.com/en/starship-leaves-a-huge-crater-on-the-launch-pad/

6YlC21XUncksqzae_hQK-eXT1dl1ZQJo7oGvGDYF

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3bhgxd/apparently_you_can_destroy_the_launch_pad/

17 hours ago, Lisias said:

I really surprised no one posted this here yet!!! :)

What could be more kerbalistic than Elon Musk destroying his launchpad (what he probably did a lot while playing KSP, by the way!!!)

this-photo-from-april.jpg

https://universemagazine.com/en/starship-leaves-a-huge-crater-on-the-launch-pad/

6YlC21XUncksqzae_hQK-eXT1dl1ZQJo7oGvGDYF

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/3bhgxd/apparently_you_can_destroy_the_launch_pad/

True but not in KSP 2 and I assume he he can afford an pc able to run it and if need of serious overclocking who will miss an liquid nitrogen truck or two. 
Its written off an company expense as excessive level simulations. 
Same way as military trains from platoons up to the huge nato exercises. But you also has map exercises for the generals or admirals staff.  

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

@TheSaint

Probably, those guys who repaired the submarine reactor with glue, lost it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22198059/secret-nuclear-submarine-plans-found-wetherspoons-toilet/

"Key detail on HMS Anson’s hydraulics, which control torpedo hatches, steering and buoyancy, were in the dossier."

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say some noob took them to study for his quals, got toasted, and left them in the loo when he went to drain the excess. Dumb kid just ruined his career over a pint of beer.

“It was lucky it wasn’t some deep cover Russian spy.”

LOL. It's a hydraulic systems manual. If the Russians haven't figured that out by now, one manual isn't going to help them.

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

"Key detail on HMS Anson’s hydraulics, which control torpedo hatches, steering and buoyancy, were in the dossier."

At least it's a more plausible selection of topics than the "found on a bus stop" leak, which just so fortuitously cast further light on the HMS Defender incident off Sevastopol.