Around Kerbin in 80 days - Triop's adventure, a live blog.

Triop

44 minutes ago, PunkyFickle said:

May the Kraken strike your expedition if you kill Edberry!

giphy.gif

:lol:

Checkpoint 9

YNV0xSA.png

We also gave the buggy a new camo that fits more in the desert.

TBC

36 minutes ago, Jacke said:

The Kraken striking his expedition could be what kills Edberry!

Agreed. :cool:

Edited by Triop

O JEB, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ?

i7iOaOR.png

Now that we get closer to the position where Jeb died, we can see what happened.

Jeb must have thought he could cut off the long safe route by going over the mountain.

His light open buggy got stuck on top of a dune and he must have fallen down while pushing his buggy.

Last picture of Jeb before he died:

ORshHpG.png

We are not going to the buggy, too dangerous.

We wil take the safe route.

TBC

5 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

Took me longer than I thought with kids and life but if you choose to try this version of the bugger I only changed the suspension and have to winglets toggle downforce  

https://kerbalx.com/NickBDesigns/Bugger-NB191

Cool, thanks !

I'll download it and get back with a test report. &)

On 2/6/2019 at 3:25 AM, Triop said:

So, I drove a bit with your Bugger in the highlands to see what it was like. It actually is surprisingly stable when the wheels are well set. By the way, you never gave us your wheels setup, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, what I learnt :

• I see from your videos that you seem to be using keyboard controls. If it is the case, you might want to use the precise control mode (caps lock), which makes less sharp turns when you make small adjustments, with less risk of flipping over.
  • Reducing friction control for your front wheels makes you less able to steer, but less keen to roll over too, which might be better for those long, high speed trips (but you already knew this, most likely).
  • You can add weight under your "engine" part, which will lower your CoM and bring it a bit closer to the center, as well as bring your rear wheels further back a few centimeters for increased stability.
  • You can add control surfaces to make you car stick more to the ground (rather than add mass). Elevons on small hardpoints are a simple way to achieve that (just don't press spacebar). Although you would most likely brake them after a few kilometers...

liMKgH7.jpg

Not the best angle, sorry. Too late for screenshots, now. Notice the rear spoiler and the big battery.

sgAOZbd.jpg

You can see that big battery at the bottom and the front spoiler. By the way, the traction control should be closer to 1, I was experimenting.

24 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

Took me longer than I thought

You were still faster than I was, though!

Here's my attempt. Note that I use FAR, so I don't know what it might imply regarding the elevons if you try to load it. Anyway, I tested the car with FAR, and it might not work as well in stock, I don't know. Also, apparently the big battery was from NearFutureElectrical, which I didn't notice but there is a similar stock one.

26 minutes ago, PunkyFickle said:

You were still faster than I was, though!

Here's my attempt. Note that I use FAR, so I don't know what it might imply regarding the elevons if you try to load it. Anyway, I tested the car with FAR, and it might not work as well in stock, I don't know. Also, apparently the big battery was from NearFutureElectrical, which I didn't notice but there is a similar stock one.

Yeah, I can't even load it to replace the battery.

jW9yowr.png

Your tips are gold btw, very helpfull, I don't have much knowledge when it comes to wheel settings.

Can you upload a version with a stock battery ?

I will surely test in against NBDesigns, maybe even hold a little race... :cool:

I did test @NBDesigns buggy and I like it a lot.

I've uploaded a video on that:

Thanks for all the support and help guys, we can do this ^_^

Edited by Triop

24 minutes ago, Triop said:

Can you upload a version with a stock battery ?

There. I randomly stuck a couple of batteries under the engine, feel free to move them.

sYLT9n9.jpg

Should be updated on KerbalX.

29 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I'd likely make it all NUKE because, well, NUKES!

Obvious improvement :

s0e0Eg0.jpg

37 minutes ago, Triop said:

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to wheel settings.

Play around with friction control. That will change your life. Quote from the wiki :

Friction control determines the responsiveness of the wheels with the ground. Low values will have a lot of slip, so the vehicle will slide or drift. High values will have better traction but may make the vehicle more susceptible to rolling over.

Tweaking wheel settings to improve Vehicle Stability

• Divide the wheels into steering-enabled (traditionally front) and steering-disabled (traditionally rear).
  • Use low friction control on the steering wheels, this will allow them to slip instead of attempting to oversteer the vehicle.
  • Use high friction control on non-steering wheels, this will cause the vehicle to want to go in a straight line and resist changing direction.

This scheme will improve stability when driving at high speed on flat ground. Beware that it will not help much on uneven terrain.

Also don't forget the caps lock.

1 minute ago, NBDesigns said:

ROCKET LEAGUE!!!! Looks good 

We should stop there. If this escalates, he will end-up trying to go around Kerbin with his buggies strapped to multi-stage boosters, send them to space, reach a stable orbit and eventually learn the actual purpose of the game. We can not let that happen.

16 minutes ago, PunkyFickle said:

Friction control determines the responsiveness of the wheels with the ground. Low values will have a lot of slip, so the vehicle will slide or drift.

I've just tested that, I lowered the value and made a drifter, tuning the front and back wheels should provide me with a great drift racer. :cool:

I've always wanted to do this in KSP . . . :lol:

giphy.gif

@Triop:

I did some minor redesigning of the Bugger.

I'm not sure if FAR alters the aerodynamics of ground based vehicles but she's pretty stable at this speed:

QYK9KtQ.png

On my honour: No jets, rockets or wings. Straight wheel power.

Edited by GDJ

39 minutes ago, Triop said:

59.2 m/s

giphy.gif

Do you have the file for me ?

I can arrange that. 

Keep in mind that FAR is still installed, so that may influence the car. To what extent I'm not sure.

I'll post the file link tonight.

2 hours ago, Triop said:

Here you go!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rersp79xqgxo2bb/Bugger (GDJ).craft?dl=0

Should be good up to 45 m/s. Just go slower for a bit until you get the groove with it.

Any issues I can confirm the settings (they should copy over).

Biggest improvement in your original and mine: Turn off the gyro's in the cockpit and set the SAS to pilot only.

Reason: We all push down W to go forward. With the gyro's on, the cockpit pushes down on the front end and overloads the front suspension.

4 hours ago, GDJ said:

I'm not sure if FAR alters the aerodynamics of ground based vehicles but she's pretty stable at this speed:

I would say it doesn't, but my warning was regarding the fact that it might affect the results of the test drives with elevons. I'm not quite sure as to what stock aerodynamics have become, but my design might be a bit overkill if the souposphere is still a thing.

4 hours ago, GDJ said:

On my honour: No jets, rockets or wings. Straight wheel power.

Very honorable, but the spoilers are not meant to increase top speed at all, quite the contrary : the objective is to have the car stick to the ground thanks to negative lift since he had jumps issues, the side effect is that they induce a fair amount of drag and thus reduce the top speed. Btw, the sepratrons are not in my actual design, it was just a joke.

2 hours ago, GDJ said:

Any issues I can confirm the settings (they should copy over).

Biggest improvement in your original and mine: Turn off the gyro's in the cockpit and set the SAS to pilot only.

Reason: We all push down W to go forward. With the gyro's on, the cockpit pushes down on the front end and overloads the front suspension.

I fear the settings don't copy : when I uploaded Triop's original design, the cockpit was full of monopropellant, the reaction wheels were enabled and the wheels settings were set to default (but he didn't fiddle with that at that time, probably). I think he should try to fiddle with them on his own and see what suits him best.

About the reaction wheels, I think (and sincerely hope) from his videos that they were disabled. (I not, this indeed might have been the cause of several Kerbal deaths.) About turning on the pilot SAS, I'd say it's cheating a bit, but I never tried it.

4 hours ago, Triop said:

59.2 m/s

Sigh... I fear for Edberry's life.

16 hours ago, GDJ said:

Good point, I forgot about that.

I've set it to SAS only. (although I'm not planning on using SAS)

I also copied NBDesigns wheel settings, but it seems I'm missing some options here for the damping ?

M8bQwSh.png

13 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

I think he should try to fiddle with them on his own and see what suits him best

Yep, you guys gave me some useful help. &)

13 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

Sigh... I fear for Edberry's life.

Don't worry, R&D is working on that...

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

Check your game settings and make sure “advanced tweakables” is on. This shows more options in game. 

Thanks mate, feels like I'm back in school. :cool:

Dzo4mC2.png

oCRgOSP.png

It's glued to the ground, and all stock, I'm impressed. &)

Edited by Triop

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.