Around Kerbin in 80 days - Triop's adventure, a live blog.

Triop

We are now near the place where Jeb took his final toilet break (see page 1).

wWmMgjd.png

08nqxUQ.png

RIP Jeb, you have all the privacy you need now in heaven. -_-

Next up:

NynY70U.png

It's getting dark...I hate driving in the dark. My buggy doesn't have lights because having lights on while driving slows down my graphics. <_<

LdsheqN.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

Out of likes again!

47 minutes ago, Triop said:

I almost had a heart attack . . . :blink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YV3THBGo8

Whoa!

I watched the flip sequence a few times.   Just over a gentle crest, the back end bounces up twice.  On the second one, while the rear wheels were off the ground, the left-front wheel comes up a bit.  Then the rover pivots to the right as only the right-front wheel was in contact.  When the left wheels touch down, the rover is going sideways and the contact drag has it flip and tumble.  Fortunately ending upright.

Looks like @GDJ and @Hotel26 were both right.  Perhaps you need to soften the suspension and put some fins on, especially fins and a spoiler to keep that rear axle down.

And paint it red.  Because red ones go fasta! :)

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

Out of likes again!

Whoa!

I watched the flip sequence a few times.   Just over a gentle crest, the back end bounces up twice.  On the second one, while the rear wheels were off the ground, the left-front wheel comes up a bit.  Then the rover pivots to the right as only the right-front wheel was in contact.  When the left wheels touch down, the rover is going sideways and the contact drag has it flip and tumble.  Fortunately ending upright.

Looks like @GDJ and @Hotel26 were both right.  Perhaps you need to soften the suspension and put some fins on, especially fins and a spoiler to keep that rear axle down.

And paint it red.  Because red ones go fasta! :)

Hahaha ! That's an amazing analyses, you should be my live sports commentator. &)

I'm not going to put fins on this thing, it's balanced perfectly for me.

There is always a risk of crashing/flipping, I'll take it any day. :cool:

*And paint it red.  Because red ones go fasta!*

Painting is something I might do later . . . :ph34r:

JI8bo1d.png

CAPTAIN'S LOG, STARDATE 6 DAYS AND THEN SOMETHING:

So we are about 50kms away from cp 3, so we set up Checkpoint 4.

PHYjsuF.png

MPGUcUN.png

bIjvZz7.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

giphy.gif

eq44ywi.png

Htio9rE.png

cWrvH1G.png

m5TmjoK.png

So I just sank into the ground . . . <_<

Ok, the Kraken obviously want's me to fail . . .

But I'm not gonna give up.

Tomorrow I will fly a new buggy to checkpoint 4 and continue my trip.

I've been fair with the game, the game was not fair with me . . .:angry:

I have no idea yet who will drive the buggy...

Edited by Triop

12 minutes ago, Triop said:

Spoiler

m5TmjoK.png

R.I.P., Bill.  You drove Bugger all well.

Damn, already 2 KIAs.

So I just sank into the ground . . . <_<

Ok, the Kraken obviously want's me to fail . . .

But I'm not gonna give up.

Tomorrow I will fly a new buggy to checkpoint 4 and continue my trip.

I've been fair with the game, the game was not fair with me . . .:angry:

I've heard that we still need some sort of loading stabilizer, like @whale_2's WorldStabilizer.

I have no idea yet who will drive the buggy...

"And here's the Astronaut Complex.  Normally buzzing with the sights and sounds of Kerbals veteran and recruit planning and training for new missions.  But today, for unknown reasons, eerily quiet and empty."

Edited by Jacke

@Triop

Go into your game settings.cfg file and double check what your DT_PHYSICS_FRAME_LIMIT is. 
When I had the ground problem my limit was set too high (0.1 seconds per frame) and reducing it to 0.06 seconds per frame helped quite a bit. You can do this manually by using a text editor app on your computer to change the value (much more accurate than doing the in-game settings).

It's something to do with not enough time for the game to simulate the ground physics properly. We don't have to worry much about that flying or going up in space, but driving on the ground is far more complex.

Give it a try. You got nothing to lose.

15 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Go into your game settings.cfg file and double check what your DT_PHYSICS_FRAME_LIMIT is. 
When I had the ground problem my limit was set too high (0.1 seconds per frame) and reducing it to 0.06 seconds per frame helped quite a bit. You can do this manually by using a text editor app on your computer to change the value (much more accurate than doing the in-game settings).

It's something to do with not enough time for the game to simulate the ground physics properly. We don't have to worry much about that flying or going up in space, but driving on the ground is far more complex.

In my settings.cfg, I've got this, which I think is default for KSP 1.6.1.

PHYSICS_FRAME_DT_LIMIT = 0.04

44 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Go into your game settings.cfg file and double check what your DT_PHYSICS_FRAME_LIMIT is

I'm in my game file cfg file right now, but I can't find DT_PHYSICS_FRAME_LIMIT . . . :blink:

I did managed to paint my shuttle, looks are everything. :lol:

7sCkUZG.png

To be honest I don't want to change cfg files, we will take it, everything the Kraken throws at us, we will take it, we will

giphy.gif

:cool:

TBC

26 minutes ago, Jacke said:

In my settings.cfg, I've got this, which I think is default for KSP 1.6.1. 

PHYSICS_FRAME_DT_LIMIT = 0.04

I've managed to find the physicsframethingy and it is set to 0.04 here aswell (I'm playing 1.6.1.)

Edited by Triop

9 minutes ago, Triop said:

I've managed to find the physicsframethingy and it is set to 0.04 here aswell (I'm playing 1.6.1.)

Ok @GDJ just for science purposes I've set my psything to 0.6

I will report when I "feel" changes. :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

Please, send a helicopter or something to Edberry. He nearly lost his life to save Jeb, you cannot leave him to walk through a whole continent!

By the way, why don't you use Persistent trails? It would be nice to see the path your different buggies and rescue missions took. (Although your MS Paint drawings are very informative and accurate)

Edited by PunkyFickle

10 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

Please, send a helicopter or something to Edberry. He nearly lost his life to save Jeb, you cannot leave him to walk through a whole continent!

By the way, why don't you use Persistent trails? It would be nice to see the path your different buggies and rescue missions took. (Although your MS Paint drawings are very informative and accurate)

Edberry is fine, he can get a ride back with Val.

The persistent trails mod looks cool, I might use it later, for now I'm going to keep planting flags every 50 km.

Let's continue:

We got the cargo jet ready on the runway, waiting for Bartner Milkin Kerman (engineer) to load his Bugger.

UN77su0.png

KY5Tw0h.png

The Bugger is to wide for the cargo jet . . . <_<

We need another solution:

DiRiqj7.png

R&D once again helped us out and designed us a carrier.

We are ready to go, Bartner will be our new driver. Checkpoint 4 has dissapeared after Bill crashed, so we have to guess where that point was.

bsxw9XT.png

Coming in to land:

vN37zK0.png

ZhvpGaa.png

PESmE3l.png

zESeR6v.png

Perfect ^_^

TBC

Edited by Triop

21 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

Now I wanna try putting it to 0.6 to see what happens! And maybe try lower and higher settings. 

17 hours ago, GDJ said:

WHOA!! TOO HIGH!!

Maybe 0.06

I liked the orange too, but it's camo for now.

I've "landed" about right on the spot, 4.8 km to ride for cp 4.

PGghijS.png

Hope I don't run into quicksand this time . . .

VLfBeZf.png

So far so good: Checkpoint 4 (again)

1oCn0vJ.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

So we where about to continue our trip to the first bridge when I suddenly saw we took some damage.

nyQir55.png

We can't have things sticking out of our body, so we took it out.

whZDZ1s.png

SnZGYfC.png

Too bad I can't repair it, but I can repaint it. :lol:

El99Lpc.png

That is good news, that means I can repaint the buggy whenever I want. :cool:

TBC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.