Thread to discuss negative things in a very general way, just see where it goes y'know?

DAL59

I want to do something and I have no idea how to.

More specifically, since I like chiptune songs I'd like to make my own. I'm not expecting anything good, especially in the beginning, most good tunes are already taken anyway.
Software like MilkyTracker is freeware and perfect for chiptunes (probably why it's used so often) and it would be possible to import samples or - if I have the patience - make my own, so access to software or samples wouldn't be a problem.

The problem is writing the music itself. Should I just improvise and see how it goes? Should I start with something specific?

I don't expect to write something that could compete with others. I'd be doing this for fun.

Today I went out to lunch. I watched a guy pour himself a medium Coke, and then proceed to dump four sugar packets into it.

As I was leaving, I watched a lady drive into the parking lot, pull straight into a parking space, then back out and pull back in, this time crooked and overlapping the next parking space. Then she got out and walked into the restaurant.

The other day, when I was going to the grocery store, I was driving in the parking lot past a car on the other side of the road, just sitting there waiting for other people to pass. I thought it was odd, because he was stopped in a strange place, so I looked in my rear view mirror after I had passed to see what was going on. When the traffic cleared he turned left and drove straight into the curb in front of the row of stores. Didn't even tap his brakes. I watched his head snap forward when he hit it, like he never saw it coming.

I'm having a difficult time maintaining my youthful optimism about the future of humanity these days....

This is now second time where I have a customer that seems to not understand scale.

In both cases, for different reasons, they want to represent true topography of a part of country

In the first case the area to be represented was narrow stretch (about 10 m wide) about 10 km long, and the smallest scale that was available was 1:220. Of course, it means that the model would be almost 50 m long. No problem, right? Well, it needs to fit in a classroom.

In the second case, the job is a part of the country about 8 x 8 km and somebody thought that it should be made in 1:3000. The thing is, this particular piece of land sits between two rivers and is as flat as it gets. I'm tempted to have them agree on a 2 mm margin of error in the model, and just deliver a piece of painted MDF board.

41 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I'm having a difficult time maintaining my youthful optimism about the future of humanity these days....

Literally everything I said while driving in the Washington, DC area is not repeatable on these forums.

A big part is the fact that it is way, way too easy to get (and keep) a driver's license in this country (USA).  Last time I got my license renewed, there was an elderly woman in there to get a renewal as well.  Must have been in her 80s.  While I was waiting for my new license to print, she did her eye test.  And failed.  And failed.  And failed.  They kept trying to skirt around the rules by saying stuff like "Maybe your hair is in your eyes", "Are you sure your (coke-bottle) glasses are straight?", "Maybe it's the machine, let's try another one!".  Anything to get this nearly blind woman who didn't seem to know what was going on to keep her license.

I have had people stop in the middle of a parking lot, holding up other cars, waiting for a parking space where the driver was still loading their groceries.  All to avoid having to walk an additional 40-50 feet into the building.

I won't be happy driving until it's legal to push start people who don't go when the light turns green.  Which, in this town, happens at least 20-30% of the time.  Ironically this is the same town where running red lights because you don't want to wait is an area pasttime. 

Oh the stupidity of this is wonderful! 

i complete maths homework right, I show calculations, working out, diagrams, formulas, everything, I've been doing it ever since I started high school. But the ONE TIME I FORGET TO DO IT, MY TEACHER JUST GIVES ME A LUNCHTIME DETENTION. THE ONE TIME I FORGET. No, not just a "You didn't show any of this, could you please not forget to do it on the next piece of homework", or even a note in my diary about not doing it, just a lunchtime detention. This is amazing! I can't wait to not have any lunch today! :D

14 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Oh the stupidity of this is wonderful! 

i complete maths homework right, I show calculations, working out, diagrams, formulas, everything, I've been doing it ever since I started high school. But the ONE TIME I FORGET TO DO IT, MY TEACHER JUST GIVES ME A LUNCHTIME DETENTION. THE ONE TIME I FORGET. No, not just a "You didn't show any of this, could you please not forget to do it on the next piece of homework", or even a note in my diary about not doing it, just a lunchtime detention. This is amazing! I can't wait to not have any lunch today! :D

Wait, what?

Even when I was in “In School Suspension” (and for extended periods at that...) I was given lunch. Can they actually not give you food? Or are you just not going to be in the normal lunch area?

6 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Wait, what?

Even when I was in “In School Suspension” (and for extended periods at that...) I was given lunch. Can they actually not give you food? Or are you just not going to be in the normal lunch area?

so what happened was me redoing the homework completely, kneeling on stairs, for my whole lunchtime. Didn't get to eat at all either so it felt like my body was going crazy.

26 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

so what happened was me redoing the homework completely, kneeling on stairs, for my whole lunchtime. Didn't get to eat at all either so it felt like my body was going crazy.

You need to talk to someone of authority.  This is abuse.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

the teacher is a house dean (there are 12 houses at my school) so it'll just cause more trouble, I did tell my parents but they just said that it wont make me do the same mistake again :mellow:

15 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

the teacher is a house dean (there are 12 houses at my school) so it'll just cause more trouble, I did tell my parents but they just said that it wont make me do the same mistake again :mellow:

I don't mean authority in the school.  I mean police.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

Being forced to kneel on stairs and being deprived of food is not a minor issue.

I know, it was only for less than an hour though and I wasn't exactly locked in some room or something, but it was quite painful. I was shaking and my legs ached for several hours after, so simply walking around hurt very much

59 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

... me redoing the homework completely, kneeling on stairs, for my whole lunchtime. Didn't get to eat at all either...

What school are you attending again ?

2 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

A private christian high school

... right.

Well, maybe put a slip out to the police in the local area. Wouldn't probably change much, but just to let them know.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:50 AM, Shpaget said:

... they want to represent true topography of a part of country

In the first case the area to be represented was narrow stretch (about 10 m wide) about 10 km long, and the smallest scale that was available was 1:220. Of course, it means that the model would be almost 50 m long. No problem, right? Well, it needs to fit in a classroom.

In the second case, the job is a part of the country about 8 x 8 km and somebody thought that it should be made in 1:3000. The thing is, this particular piece of land sits between two rivers and is as flat as it gets. I'm tempted to have them agree on a 2 mm margin of error in the model, and just deliver a piece of painted MDF board.

Is the first one a railway or a road or something ? You could represent it in a few segments.

Also I guess the 2nd one they're just trying to see the river line.

Though honestly I don't get why you wouldn't use a CAD 3D model these days. (I definitely need to learn about them).

36 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Being forced to kneel on stairs and being deprived of food is not a minor issue.

Psh, Punishment in art class used to be "stand in that sink while I throw lumps of clay at you". Didn't exactly scar me for life. Then there was that episode where the noisy brat was made to hold a tennis ball in his mouth...

Kids these days are far too precious IMO, going without lunch is but a minor discomfort.

My grandfather was disciplined with steel rod at school, and he sure turned out okay.

Not that I'm advocating corporal punishment mind, but going to police because you missed lunch? Sheesh.

6 hours ago, Geonovast said:
7 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

This is how Starship Troopers get trained. Welcome to the secret bootcamp!

6 hours ago, Geonovast said:

But they even didn't make him hold a concrete block in hands or bring 300 buckets of water.
Lazy ones, what if he will be a machine gunner?

6 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

A private christian high school

A private school. Trains a private to become a sergeant.

2 hours ago, razark said:

I don't remember eating lunch in high school for three years.

Maybe they have a full day one, as it's private.

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

Punishment in art class used to be "stand in that sink while I throw lumps of clay at you". Didn't exactly scar me for life. Then there was that episode where the noisy brat was made to hold a tennis ball in his mouth...

Happily your art class didn't include bronze casting...

My grandfather was disciplined with steel rod at school

and the rod was new every time, as quickly got bent.

but going to police because you missed lunch?

First of all, because of kneeling. This is an idiotism.
Especially without knee pads. Occupational safety is sacral.