[1.12.1] JNSQ [0.10.0] [23 Sept 2021]

Galileo

Finally got my first rover on the Mun. That was one hell of a trial! Makes me really appreciate just how much blood, sweat, tears, green, and metal goes into navigating in space!

A month ago I didn't care about SpaceX's latest rocket test. Watching another SpaceX launch today? Today I saw one of my failed attempts with JNSQ to get my tiny rover into space.

Edited by Mitokandria
typo

On 4/18/2023 at 2:51 PM, SpaceCube2000 said:

Is there any way I can use a different sunflare from the one that's included? 

Yes, it certainly is possible.  I think you would have to replace the JNSQ configs and textures with your own.  But I don't know enough about it to tell you how to do that.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:51 PM, SpaceCube2000 said:

Is there any way I can use a different sunflare from the one that's included? 

Yes, I do that on all my installs. Copy the new Sunflare files onto your scatter and JNSQ ones and then there should be a JNSQ scatter Sunflare config that you need to set to either true or false it says in it what to do and it should work.

• 1 month later...

So I'm curious... How do you get a plane to land on Eve? If possible.. I'm using Opt plane parts and the 2700k heat limit isn't enough, which I figured would be the case. So I decided to try the 10m inflatable heatshield in the front. It doesn't quite cover the wings, but I made the wings real small, since ya know, Eve. That works for a bit, but then the plane flips around, so I put one on the back too. It mostly works but decoupling them while streaking through the air is uh rather difficult and they aren't exactly aerodynamic...

2 hours ago, Nori said:

That works for a bit, but then the plane flips around, so I put one on the back too.

Putting heat shields on both ends is my preferred strategy for trying to land anything big on any large atmospheric body. In addition to the aerodynamic stability benefits, twice as much thermal protection in case the plane does start tumbling is very helpful.

1 hour ago, Nori said:

It mostly works but decoupling them while streaking through the air is uh rather difficult and they aren't exactly aerodynamic...

What I tend to do is this:

• Put both heat shields far away from the center of mass.
  • Wait until the plane slows down to terminal velocity and stops tumbling.
  • Decouple the heat shield on the top.
  • Wait until the plane flips over so that the other heat shield is on top.
  • Decouple the other heat shield.

This ensures that both heat shields are released in the direction they are being pulled away from the plane by drag, so that they don't break anything.

Sometimes the plane doesn't stop tumbling, making this approach impossible. In that case, I still wait until terminal velocity is reached, but then try to release the first heat shield about 30 degrees before it reaches its highest point in the tumble cycle. This often works, but sometimes I need to reload a few times before getting the shield to leave at the right angle.

If all else fails, you could put detachable parachutes on the wings, and decouple the heat shields after the parachutes deploy.

Hope no one minds me posting this here for the purpose of advertising or self-promotion, if so feel free to take this post down. 

After having been playing JNSQ since 2019 I have finally achieved the goal of conducting a Lindor 5 Tour, though I could have earlier done so I felt it made more sense to focus on the Mun, Mimmus, and Duna before then. Hope you all enjoy the video, and thank you @Galileo for this amazing mod! 

So how do you deal with the extra heating JNSQ has on reentry? Particularly to someplace like EVE? What I run into is I put a 2.5m heatshield on a 2.5m fuel tank and well, the fuel tank explodes. I think it's conductive heating or something. Can't recall the terminology. So then I always end up having to upside the heatshields. Is this the correct thing to do? 

~Edit: Aaand, if I manage to make it far enough, then I have issues with the ship flipping. Tried a bunch of stuff but haven't found a good option to stop that.

Edited by Nori

On 6/17/2023 at 3:32 PM, Nori said:

So how do you deal with the extra heating JNSQ has on reentry?

I haven't tried JNSQ Eve yet. I have also used oversized heat shields. I think that's the safest way. I also found that with a shield the same size as the rest of the ship (for 2000K rated parts) it will overheat if you maintain prograde. However I was able to survive with the same ship at a 45 deg angle... the extra drag helps slow it down higher in the atmosphere. I once reentered Kerbin without a shield... and reached 99% max temperature. 

The 10m inflatable shield is the best if it's unlocked. To avoid flipping over, fins help. And also keeping mass closer to the front. Landing with engines is hard. Putting 10m shields on bottom and top helps stabilize it. This is what I did in stock Eve with a huge ship: https://imgur.com/a/QRmHdyg

8 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

I haven't tried JNSQ Eve yet. I have also used oversized heat shields. I think that's the safest way. I also found that with a shield the same size as the rest of the ship (for 2000K rated parts) it will overheat if you maintain prograde. However I was able to survive with the same ship at a 45 deg angle... the extra drag helps slow it down higher in the atmosphere. I once reentered Kerbin without a shield... and reached 99% max temperature. 

The 10m inflatable shield is the best if it's unlocked. To avoid flipping over, fins help. And also keeping mass closer to the front. Landing with engines is hard. Putting 10m shields on bottom and top helps stabilize it. This is what I did in stock Eve with a huge ship: https://imgur.com/a/QRmHdyg

After a entire day of frustration I finally figured out a way to make it work I have 2.5m asparagus stages fuel tanks around a 3.75m tank with a Kerbal Atomics Aerospike engine. I put 3.75m heatshields on the bottom of all the 2.5m tanks. That seemed to work really well for heat, but the drag was too much. I put tail fins on the other end to try and control it better but it would inevitably flip. I finally figured out it was the drag so I but a 10m inflatable shield on the top, it changed the drag enough that  it now doesn't flip. Relatively simple solution I suppose though it messes up my docking a little bit. I don't think I'll be going back to the surface of Eve after this. ha..

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a strange bug with JNSQ rescale 10x. It looks like my KSC is underground. I can't seem to figure out why. It works fine at default JNSQ scale.

Current Setup (with bug?):

JNSQ+JNSQ_Rescale10+GPP_Secondary+GPP_Rescale10+GEP+GEP_Rescale10

But this seems to work fine:

JNSQ+GPP_Secondary+GPP_Rescale2.5+GEP+GEP_Rescale2.5

I'm doing a little more troubleshooting, but I'm worn out from the 20min load time each time I make a change. Will try JNSQ Rescale 10x without GPP and GEP.

Edit: Happens without GPP and GEP as well.

Edit 2: Ok. After looking through the player.log file myself I noticed an accidentally nested gamedata folder. Seems I accidentally used Copy instead of Cut when extracting the JNSQ_Rescale folder. Readding other mods now.

Edit 3: Fixed. Cause: User Error. Resolution: delete extra ReScale folder.

Player.log
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtJ0gZSLiapDg7JwFnrKGnFUp-EUEQ?e=FD25Bx

Edited by Mitokandria
Added Troubleshooting

On 7/2/2023 at 1:07 PM, Mitokandria said:

If anyone is interested I'm working on a 10x Delta-V Map. Subway style like the Community Delta-V Map. It's not exactly going to be as accurate but it'll at least be a rough guide for anyone that needs the extra help.

You probably already know this, but FYI...  Going from 1/4 scale to real scale (10x) should double all the delta-v from the original delta-v map.  This should be exact for interplanetary trajectories, but is probably an slight overestimation for ascent/descent delta-v.  This is because, despite increasing the planet size 4x, we're typically not ascending to (or decending from) an orbit that is four times higher.  For instance, on Kerbin we might typically ascend to a 100 km orbit at 1/4 scale, but at real scale we might go to 150 or 200 km.  It doesn't take twice as much delta-v to do that.

51 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

You probably already know this, but FYI...  Going from 1/4 scale to real scale (10x) should double all the delta-v from the original delta-v map.  This should be exact for interplanetary trajectories, but is probably an slight overestimation for ascent/descent delta-v.  This is because, despite increasing the planet size 4x, we're typically not ascending to (or decending from) an orbit that is four times higher.  For instance, on Kerbin we might typically ascend to a 100 km orbit at 1/4 scale, but at real scale we might go to 150 or 200 km.  It doesn't take twice as much delta-v to do that.

I've been using the stock scale as a base instead of using the 1/4 scale. I am finding it is a slight overestimation of about 100-500m/s  (LKO) depending on ascent losses. Not the most accurate, but sufficient in assisting with planning and design.

So far I've used it to plan one-way trips from launchpad to minmus/mun and it's been fairly accurate. It might be a bit less accurate once I start going beyond Kerbin, but we'll see.

5 hours ago, Mitokandria said:

I've been using the stock scale as a base instead of using the 1/4 scale.

That likely won't be accurate for everything becuase we changed the physical properties of several (most?) bodies.  JNSQ is not just a simple rescaling of the stock system.  Everything was reexamined and tweaked.  Some of the moons had significant reductions in size and mass.

15 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

That likely won't be accurate for everything becuase we changed the physical properties of several (most?) bodies.  JNSQ is not just a simple rescaling of the stock system.  Everything was reexamined and tweaked.  Some of the moons had significant reductions in size and mass.

Oh. I hadn't considered that. :valsad: Trial and Error with some occasional trig it is then.

22 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Wouldn't TWP help? It uses the planetarium for its calcs.

Honestly I've always had TWP installed, but found it a little intimidating. I finally learned how the porkchop selection works in MechJeb last year so I'll give it a proper go at using it. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Mitokandria said:

Honestly I've always had TWP installed, but found it a little intimidating. I finally learned how the porkchop selection works in MechJeb last year so I'll give it a proper go at using it. Thanks!

The dV map that comes with JNSQ should be accurate for interplanetary stuff at 10x if you double the numbers.  Why reinvent the wheel?