KSP2 Hype Train Thread

6 minutes ago, Truebadour said:

What kind of features? What "big questions?"

A big one is the feature related to the craft events recorder, placing milestones on the timeline, parallel missions, returning to mission start. There's a lot of stuff that we may find in the game at EA release and that hasn't been talked about yet.

6 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Depends what you expect from the telecommunication. We've seen direct and relay antennas on various footage, so commnet in some form is in place for sure.

I don't really expect anything. I remember when there was no telecommunications and we still had antennas that only served as some cosmetic parts.

I hope we'll have a system similar to KSP1, but I've not seen anything in the footage that hinted at the presence of such gameplay. Might have missed it though.

Just now, Vl3d said:

A big one is the feature related to the craft events recorder, placing milestones on the timeline, parallel missions, returning to mission start. There's a lot of stuff that we may find in the game at EA release and that hasn't been talked about yet.

Hadn't thought about this. I sure hope the saving system has been improved.

Edited by Truebadour

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

You always want quicksave mechanics.

You can have auto-saves if events are recorded, then you just rewind. But that's for another story..

Actually no it's not, I wrote a suggestion to replace F5-F9 with rewind with reversible physics included.

I'm going all out!

PS: I think I'll have to buy a faster clock CPU like Scott Manley did..

Edited by Vl3d

1 hour ago, Truebadour said:

That's quite the vague answer. What kind of features? What "big questions?"

The only thing I've not seen talked about is the presence or absence of telecommunications in the sequel. Most of the other stuff is on the roadmap.

My personal theory about the sneak peek we have almost daily is content taken from recent builds of the game (we can see some features present on some screenshots that are absent the next, and vice-versa).

If you think the content you see on Discord is the dev sandbagging us, then I think you are about to be disappointed on the 24th. I personaly expect less features than in KSP1 in the launch version, because that's what was announced.

This is a very reasonable take

Anyone that suspects a grand reveal with big surprises and assumes the screenshots are purposefully hiding something good is dreaming

Much more likely the content is hiding some rough edges

15 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

You can have auto-saves if events are recorded, then you just rewind. But that's for another story..

Actually no it's not, I wrote a suggestion to replace F5-F9 with rewind with reversible physics included.

I'm going all out!

PS: I think I'll have to buy a faster clock CPU like Scott Manley did..

reversible timelines would result in absurdly huge savegames. You need to  save all the history of all the inputs the player had in the campaign. With multiplayer and several ships ...  much easier to  use the good and tested  state based system.

2 minutes ago, tstein said:

You need to  save all the history of all the inputs the player had in the campaign.

No, you just save milestones on the timeline and use the on-rails solver. It's trivial.

The hard part is having reversible physics. But that generally requires the same amount of CPU power as having regular physics. Entropy be damned!

I started a suggestion thread about this.

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Vl3d said:

No, you just save milestones on the timeline and use the on-rails solver. It's trivial.

The hard part is having reversible physics. But that generally requires the same amount of CPU power as having regular physics. Entropy be damned!

I started a suggestion post about this.

Save milestones.. so you basically want quick saves to  not have quick saves? sorry if it makes very little sense for me. A  hugely complex system. It is easier jsut to have a lot of save points and always simulate forward from each one.

Again  development time is not for free.. in fact it is very expensive. If there is a simpler solution that can get to 95% of the desired result, the it is very likely going to be used (the only place where I see that being exception is  in USAF procurements)

33 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

You can have auto-saves if events are recorded, then you just rewind.

Auto-saves in a game like KSP 1 or 2 can be more of a hindrance than an actual help, especially if that auto-save only keeps one auto-save at a time. 

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Auto-saves in a game like KSP 1 or 2 can be more of a hindrance than an actual help, especially if that auto-save only keeps one auto-save at a time. 

The timeline would always be in an autosaved state if it has events added to it. If you want to talk more about this head over to the suggestion thread.

On 2/5/2023 at 1:12 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That is one of the things that they're trying to resolve by having a lot of the things players like baked in.  With Mods - the core game is carrying a slapped on thing... and that generally works, but it's not ideal.  So they're baking into the core program a bunch of things from the mods that people like.  Unlike what some people keep incessantly complaining about... they're not going for super-extra-special-fabulous... but instead their own choices of what the game environments should look like.  Wish folks would respect that.

Because so many players have potatoes (and because Console is a bigger market than PC) - if your system is anywhere near the recent XBox or Sony releases... you should be fine.

I really, really doubt that the final specs for 'high end' will be anywhere north of Series X requirements.

However, for people who like to warp spacetime with their GPU, I'm sure in a few years there will be mods available that will convert older machines into sizzling heaps of slag.

23 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Imagine if the game is just mid or God forbid; good(ish). Would people boycott the game over nitpicks and pettiness? We will see soon.

but anyway, i really really doubt there will be boycotting at all with this game, what is there to boycott?

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

Honestly at this point I am more hyped for the incoming reality bomb some people are about to get. 

Well I think we know pretty much that we get, KSP who looks much better and hopefully is much more stable but lacking most of the later features. 
Now the total part list matter here, and the mod scene will come into action but probably not before an couple of months before we get the serious stuff. 

57 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

My hopes and expectations are a little at odds. On one hand I hope it's amazing, on the other I'm not even sure if I can run it. :joy:

I'd rather have "Amazing and requires better hardware" than "Mediocre but runs on my potato."

I can fix the former but not the latter.

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

Imagine if the game is just mid or God forbid; good(ish). Would people boycott the game over nitpicks and pettiness? We will see soon.

I'm expecting Misery-style kidnappings and firebombs given the reasoned debates I've seen so far. God help the mods.