This and that

VoidSquid

3 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Which you don't have.

Yes, we have. About 20% of the World sales on gaming is a good enough sample space for what I want to do.

Of course, you can disagree - but so, there's nothing more to be said to you, as we will have a critical disagreement and anything else I can say or do will be a waste of time.

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

Yes, we have. About 20% of the World sales on gaming is a good enough sample space for what I want to do.

Of course, you can disagree - but so, there's nothing more to be said to you, as we will have a critical disagreement and anything else I can say or do will be a waste of time.

Agreed.

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

Agreed

9 hours ago, Lisias said:

we can try to do something about.

I'm quite happy with my 1.8.1 install and my selection of mods, and will probably upgrade to 1.9.x when the mods I consider important are good for the new version. In its current state (be 1.8.1 or 1.9.x), I consider KSP complete, everything works for me as I like it to, and the few minor issue I have, I know how to deal with those. I can and will play KSP for years to come.

About the shrinking player base, what do you suggest we the players can do about it?

KSP by its very nature is a niche game, will never be a big crowd game say like all those battle royal games or FPS games. But I've seen it quite often with such niche games that they are loved and played years and years after the developer or publisher abandons them and goes for greener pastures.

I tried to bring in a couple of my friends to KSP, but it's just not "their thing", I have to accept that.

The more I'm happy we have our little community here, and every other day I see a new player posting here, having questions / issues, and I'm happy to help :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

19 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

About the shrinking player base, what do you suggest we the players can do about it?

Figure out why this is happening, and try to shove some sense on whoever is calling the (bad) shots on Squad/Private Division/Whatever.

20 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

I tried to bring in a couple of my friends to KSP, but it's just not "their thing", I have to accept that.

I bought a copy for my son. He played it a bit, but quitted. I asked him why, as he used to like Scott Manley's videos about KSP. He answered: "Dad, I play games to have fun, not to curse the game as you do when the game crashes or do something weird".

Well... I can't counter-argue that.

22 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

The more I'm happy we have our little community here, and every other day I see a new player posting here, having questions / issues, and I'm happy to help :) 

Me too. But this little community is becoming smaller and smaller - and soon it will became unfeasible.

There're less and less people available to answer question, update Add'Ons and everything else that made this community thrive in the past. And the ones that are still available are more and more overloaded fixing bugs instead of answering questions, updating Add'Ons and everything else that made this community to thrive in the past.

9 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

I had asked my friends to check out KSP but they said that they do not play any other games other than minecraft and clash of clans

I has asked some of mine, and they complained that KSP is too buggy to be interesting for them. They are engineers and technicians in many different fields, from electronics to network infrastructure and civil engineering - problem solving careers, and yet, they prefer to do something else to debug this software.

They liked the game proposal, but hated having to debug things in order to play the game.

16 minutes ago, Lisias said:

"Dad, I play games to have fun, not to curse the game as you do when the game crashes or do something weird".

That made me laugh out loud, thanks for sharing :D 

I don't know in what "framework" you're playing (e.g. stock or RSS) or what mods you're using,  but for my installation, it's been quite a while since I had a crash (thanks to LGG's heap padder) or the game did something weird, it runs quite smoothly here.

12 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

If bugs are not squashed, the will multiply

Reminds me of youtube video by ShadowZone some time ago about technical debt

Then came KSP 1.6, and things actually turned for the better. So yes, I totally agree with you, Nigel, bugs need to be squashed, else they multiply.

Edited by VoidSquid

Just now, VoidSquid said:

That made me laugh out loud, thanks for sharing :D 

I don't know in what "framework" you're playing (e.g. stock or RSS) or what mods you're using,  but for my installation, it's been quite a while I had a crash (thanks to LGG's heap padder) or the game did something weird, it runs quite smoothly here.

Reminds me of youtube video by ShadowZone some time ago about technical debt

Then came KSP 1.6, and things actually turned for the better. So yes, I totally agree with you, Nigel, bugs need to be squashed, else they multiply.

1. I have just started using time control. It actually speeds up launches a bit

2. Squad should only create a relase that squashes every single bug. Then they should really think about adding new features. There are about 300 or so open bugs

36 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

If bugs are not squashed, the will multiply

What bugs do you think irritate you?

This last one that I'm solving was specially infuriating.

it interrupted 2 days of my life; it delayed the release of a new Companion Pack I'm co-authoring with a fellow Kerbonaut to add TweakScale support to a very known and used Add'On; not to mention two nights of almost not sleeping - otherwise I could not had finished the stunt in time to have the Sunday to play something (what I still don't know if I will manage to do that, as I need to sleep and Kraken knowns when I will awake - not to mention house keeping that I neglected this Saturday).

On 1.8.0, another really stupid glitch also made a lot of people angry, by the way, and by a silly mistake on the prefab that borked the UI_ScaleEdit that is being used by a lot of Add'Ons - the grievance was such that some Add'On Authors are willing to just drop support for KSP's widgets and talked about to rewrite something from scratch. I don't need to mention how this would clutter the U.I. with non standard widgets. :(  I spent almost 10 days to diagnose this one, because I was hinted in private about a problem on TweakScale while handling events, and all that (unnecessary) drama on "recompiling to Unity 2019" and reworking References to new DLLs, et all, didn't helped as I wasted a lot of time doing what they were recommending just to realise that nothing of that was really necessary.

And this is just me. You talk to some other guys that getting their toes stomped and you will hear similar complains.

I wanna play KSP, I want to give some care to KAX and Impossible Innovations, but essentially I'm just hunting and fixing bugs for the last whole year.

It's extremely hard to keep my Grumpiness Factor ™ in check nowadays.

11 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

No, just a fellow KSP player who tries to help a bit now and then :) 

Ok 

I wanted to just tell you this.

Most modders e.g. @linuxgurugamer@damonvvand @Lisias (these are only a few examples. There are many more I just can't write all their their names over hear. I am not discriminating those names that are not given over here)usually fix bugs before releasing new updates with new parts/features. Squad should learn something from them.

10 minutes ago, Lisias said:

This last one that I'm solving was specially infuriating.

it interrupted 2 days of my life; it delayed the release of a new Companion Pack I'm co-authoring with a fellow Kerbonaut to add TweakScale support to a very known and used Add'On; not to mention two nights of almost not sleeping - otherwise I could not had finished the stunt in time to have the Sunday to play something (what I still don't know if I will manage to do that, as I need to sleep and Kraken knowns when I will awake - not to mention house keeping that I neglected this Saturday).

On 1.8.0, another really stupid glitch also made a lot of people angry, by the way, and by a silly mistake on the prefab that borked the UI_ScaleEdit that is being used by a lot of Add'Ons - the grievance was such that some Add'On Authors are willing to just drop support for KSP's widgets and talked about to rewrite something from scratch. I don't need to mention how this would clutter the U.I. with non standard widgets. :(  I spent almost 10 days to diagnose this one, because I was hinted in private about a problem on TweakScale while handling events, and all that (unnecessary) drama on "recompiling to Unity 2019" and reworking References to new DLLs, et all, didn't helped as I wasted a lot of time doing what they were recommending just to realise that nothing of that was really necessary.

And this is just me. You talk to some other guys that getting their toes stomped and you will hear similar complains.

I wanna play KSP, I want to give some care to KAX and Impossible Innovations, but essentially I'm just hunting and fixing bugs for the last whole year.

Yeah you are right.

Edited by Nigel J. Cardozo

30 minutes ago, Lisias said:

The joys of being a modder, yes, I see...

I'm just a fellow KSP player, so all I can do is to say thank you to our modders from time to time, let them know that all the endless hours they're putting in, are very much appreciated. As I said in another place, without the modding community I'd have stopped playing KSP. And while I don't use TweakScale, I know it's one of the real core mods for many people, so a big thanks to you too, @Lisias :) 

25 minutes ago, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

Squad should learn something from them.

Thing is, Squad is a business, and our fellow modders do their work not for money but for their fun, their passion, their love for the game, and sometimes for our little community. 

The latter is the only thing I can do to give back a bit, helping others as good as I can. And my only "specialty" here is that it seems that I'm the only one trying to help by running a debugger to analyze crash dumps. Well, sometimes I do succeed (thinking of the issue you had recently, Nigel, it was quite satisfying for me that I could actually help you a bit).

Edited by VoidSquid

On a very personal note, life hasn't always been kind to me (well, to whom it is then), but KSP and our little community did help me (unknowingly) through some really bad days. Now things are better for me, so I'm trying as good as I can to give back a bit by helping others.

18 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

On a very personal note, life hasn't always been kind to me (well, to whom it is then), but KSP and our little community did help me (unknowingly) through some really bad days. Now things are better for me, so I'm trying as good as I can to give back a bit by helping others.

That's a good thing about our community

52 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

The joys of being a modder, yes, I see...

I'm just a fellow KSP player, so all I can do is to say thank you to our modders from time to time, let them know that all the endless hours they're putting in, are very much appreciated. As I said in another place, without the modding community I'd have stopped playing KSP. And while I don't use TweakScale, I know it's one of the real core mods for many people, so a big thanks to you too, @Lisias :) 

Thing is, Squad is a business, and our fellow modders do their work not for money but for their fun, their passion, their love for the game, and sometimes for our little community. 

The latter is the only thing I can do to give back a bit, helping others as good as I can. And my only "specialty" here is that it seems that I'm the only one trying to help by running a debugger to analyze crash dumps. Well, sometimes I do succeed (thinking of the issue you had recently, Nigel, it was quite satisfying for me that I could actually help you a bit).

Only modders know our and their own pain

Edited by Nigel J. Cardozo

So now lets get back to the unity analysis thing

According to me, I feel like it is like take for example you are having a bath in your bathroom and suddenly a robot walks in and stares at you and start to film you having a bath. Same thing applies for unity. The robot is unity analysis and the bathroom is KSP and you having a bath is you playing KSP

Very elegant and smooth change of topic, I give you that :D 

Ok then, as you know by now, I'm not a big fan of being spied upon, to say it mildly. I'm well aware that for the young people today, privacy isn't a value per se, but for old me, it is.

For that unity thing, @Snark thankfully took the time to figure out the hosts Unity was talking to, I simply did modify my hosts file:

127.0.0.1    cdp.cloud.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    config.uca.cloud.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    perf-events.cloud.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    prd-lender.cdp.internal.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    thind-gke-usc.prd.data.corp.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    thind-prd-knob.data.ie.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    remote-config-proxy-prd.uca.cloud.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    data-optout-service.uca.cloud.unity3d.com
127.0.0.1    redshell.io
127.0.0.1    api.redshell.io
127.0.0.1    treasuredata.com
127.0.0.1    api.treasuredata.com

And in general, I always use VPN, do not use any "social media", always use not-my-real-identity online whenever possible, and try avoid to provide any personal data when online. What isn't there, nobody can trace :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.