Unpopular Opinions Thread

HCB-11

On 8/17/2020 at 10:55 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

when you have to convert between units of the same system and look up how many feet there are in a mile you're doing something wrong.

It's much better to measure the interstellar distances in 1/40 000 000 th of length of Paris meridian with a metal ruler made in late XIX century.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:35 AM, Space Nerd said:

To be honest, when I lived at the USA for 1 year, I have to convert the imperial numbers to metric to get a sense of scale, since I'm so used to using the metric system.

At least, unlike the currencies, the rate is fixed.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

It's much better to measure the interstellar distances in 1/40 000 000 th of length of Paris meridian with a metal ruler made in late XIX century.

At least, unlike the currencies, the rate is fixed.

Sure, now it is. But what about hundreds of years ago, when an inch was the length of the king’s thumb and a foot was the length of his foot? When a new king is crowned they had to throw out all the old rulers and make new ones...

Well, there's still different non-metrics system in use nowadays. A pint and an imperial pint aren't the same thing it seems (ok it's the imperial pint, the int and the dry pint), and basically no one really cares.

I mean : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint

But as long as you're not in need for collaboration with someone in a different measurement system, everything is fine and no one really cares (and conversion for anything to whatever are quite easy to do). And the medieval systems were in fact rarely based on the actual king, they were defined by a king, and used by its successors. And sometimes, there was a need to reevaluate them. But not on each kings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_weights_and_measures

26 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Sure, now it is. But what about hundreds of years ago, when an inch was the length of the king’s thumb and a foot was the length of his foot? When a new king is crowned they had to throw out all the old rulers and make new ones...

That's why the smartest of the late-medieval guys were recommending to (from memory, lazy to look the title) "take a boot from every of sixteen men, tall or low, when they, say, went out from the church, put them one by one, and treat one sixteenth of the total row length as a foot to measure the plowland".

They instinctively realized that error(N) = error(1) / sqrt(N)

• 2 weeks later...

Elon Musk is overrated: many times his opinions are treated as an expert's just because "Musk said it", when in actuality he's not an expert in the field at all

It also grinds my gears that many times, whatever Elon's companies come up with is given off like Elon Musk himself personally engineered it by the media and Musk's fans, or that he's gonna personally deliver it. Elon's new Model 3! Elon's new plan to colonize the solar system! I've had a professor once say he cried over seeing SpaceX's Mars thingy and got an admiration for Elon after that, even though, you know, it wasn't him that developed that but rather one of SpaceX's teams. It's a product of his company, which I believe all of us can agree is undeniable, but treating it like Elon is the sole reason behind that coming out? Feh.

There's also the hyperloop thing that each time seems more and more like one of those kickstarter CGI "the future is now" kind of scams, but that's an entire different story

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

The Space Community has some pretty extreme views on some things. And since I don't want to cause any contention I won't mention them. But I feel kinda sad about it, there is some things that I just don't see why you would be against.

-

Also, partially mentioned by @Aperture Science. I really am confused by the Elon-love. There is some hard core SpaceX fans out there that hate everything. Like SLS, they say "IT'S BAD" because there is Starship. And some people think that Starship is some kind of holy rocket more superior than anything else that will get us to mars just because Elon has plans with it. I mean, I was shocked by people saying that companies focusing on re-usability are just ripping off Elon. Funny that Blue origin said the same thing about SpaceX when they were first doing reusability. Am I a big fan of SpaceX, absolutely. And I used to be like the Elon-worshippers, hated everything not SpaceX, compared everything to SpaceX, and thought SpaceX is the superior company.

I mean, they wouldn't be there without NASA. I think people tend to forget the successors of before. Personally, I am a big fan of SLS! I like the idea, why make something new when you have the things there to build it? And sure it might be more expensive than the usual rocket. I feel like the same can be said about Space Shuttle, it was a big engineering challenge and it's crazy cool! I have been to the SLS SRB tests and the ground shaking it's just epic! SLS was the dream rocket to watch launch actually for my childhood, I was trying to find ways to save up by 2017.

Honestly, I am not an SLS hater or a guy who hates Starship, I am that guy who is excited for anything that comes up or is supa-cool! I love every single space company, and my favorite right now changes too fast to stay on one! SLS, Starship, or Long March 9... NONE OF THEM SUCK!!!! THEY'RE ALL COOL!!!!!!

---this concludes my rant---

30 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Here's an unpopular opinion for you.

I think there is enough room for improvement that a remake of the Princess Bride movie is warranted.

oh gosh that's a BIG unpopular opinion

Android Tidbits : Displaying formatted strings in a TextView | by Anish  Kothari | Medium

57 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

The Space Community has some pretty extreme views on some things. And since I don't want to cause any contention I won't mention them. But I feel kinda sad about it, there is some things that I just don't see why you would be against.

-

Also, partially mentioned by @Aperture Science. I really am confused by the Elon-love. There is some hard core SpaceX fans out there that hate everything. Like SLS, they say "IT'S BAD" because there is Starship. And some people think that Starship is some kind of holy rocket more superior than anything else that will get us to mars just because Elon has plans with it. I mean, I was shocked by people saying that companies focusing on re-usability are just ripping off Elon. Funny that Blue origin said the same thing about SpaceX when they were first doing reusability. Am I a big fan of SpaceX, absolutely. And I used to be like the Elon-worshippers, hated everything not SpaceX, compared everything to SpaceX, and thought SpaceX is the superior company.

I mean, they wouldn't be there without NASA. I think people tend to forget the successors of before. Personally, I am a big fan of SLS! I like the idea, why make something new when you have the things there to build it? And sure it might be more expensive than the usual rocket. I feel like the same can be said about Space Shuttle, it was a big engineering challenge and it's crazy cool! I have been to the SLS SRB tests and the ground shaking it's just epic! SLS was the dream rocket to watch launch actually for my childhood, I was trying to find ways to save up by 2017.

Honestly, I am not an SLS hater or a guy who hates Starship, I am that guy who is excited for anything that comes up or is supa-cool! I love every single space company, and my favorite right now changes too fast to stay on one! SLS, Starship, or Long March 9... NONE OF THEM SUCK!!!! THEY'RE ALL COOL!!!!!!

As someone who has a lot of gripes with SLS and a lot of hope in Starship,

I think that in a vacuum I would be happy with SLS. Especially if I was in the rocket and it was protecting me from the vacuum. The rocket itself is fine and cool and launching dozens of them and visiting the Moon and landing probes on Europa would be the best thing ever. What I'm actually upset about is the politics and penny-pinching and ulterior motives bogging down NASA's moon program for decades, from people who are not rocket engineers or scientists or astronauts and who need a good healthy dose of overview effect. I am worried that they will foot the two billion dollar bill for the first test flight, then immediately say "We have to pay this every time? This isn't worth it!" and shut it all down, again. I think that until we can launch our politicians personally into orbit there is a big risk that they will stop letting the engineers have their fun. Reusable rockets promise to reduce that risk in the second-best way by reducing the actual cost of rocket launches. Starship promises to reduce it even further by being fully and rapidly reusable.

I guess SLS and the moon program as a whole are somewhat buffered now by incorporating as many commercial partners as they can for crucial roles, such as moon landers and bases and supplies and modules. But that's how I feel about some of this stuff.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

Here's an unpopular opinion for you.

I think there is enough room for improvement that a remake of the Princess Bride movie is warranted.

At least. it can be shortened by removing the narrator's scenes and letting to not skip them manually.

But I have bad feelings about Inigo's cast in the remake.
Probably, it would be another Jar-Jar.

Though, with the modern technologies Peter Dinklage could replace Andre the Giant.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

But I have bad feelings about Inigo's cast in the remake.

That's actually my only concern. Mandy Patinkin was *perfect* as Inigo Montoya every role he's ever been in and replacing him with a lesser actor anybody would be scary at best, and ruinous at worst.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Peter Dinklage could replace Andre the Giant

At least you'd be able to understand his lines.

Actually I just imagined Dinklage doing some of Vizzini's lines and it sent shivers down my spine.

"Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed!? In Greenland!"

Edited by Superfluous J

Hmmm, unpopular opinions I have... This could definitely get me in trouble, but here goes nothing:

Ketchup is better on corn dogs than mustard.

French fries and mayo is a better combination than French fries and ketchup.

A good salsa sauce is the perfect condiment for nearly everything. 

Edited by adsii1970
Fat fingers on mobile device keyboard!

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Hmmm, unpopular opinions I have... This could definitely get me in trouble, but here goes nothing:

Ketchup is better on corn dogs than mustard.

Is it unpopular to like both Ketchup and Mustard on your corndogs? And Fries?

I have disgusted everyone with this one but:

I love chips with Ketchup and Mustard. Tastes so stinkin good

It only works on plain tho

8 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Itsa mee, Inigo Montya, yousa killed my father! Yousa gonna die!

Oh gosh I can't stop laughing!

On 9/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

-

Couldn't be more well said.

19 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Itsa mee, Inigo Montya, yousa killed my father! Yousa gonna die!

Please proceed to self-flagellate for roughly the duration of Princess bride.

As for mayo or ketchup, what's this "or" thing you speak of? It's spelled "and".

You guys might hate me, but I hate mayo. I have never been able to eat it and Chicken or egg salad sandwiches are my least favorite food ever. If mayo is on a sandwich, I have to pile on other things (lettuce or the fillings) to hide the taste of mayo. I also will use mustard as much as possible instead of mayo. Back in middle school, one of my friends loved mayo and would pile it on everything, and  I had to stop eating with him because I thought it was so gross.

So yeah, mayo is one of my least favorite foods. It is down there with cheese which I also find gross. I do have a weird relationship with cheese though. I can't eat cheese by itself (cubes, slices, tacos with cheese (I just don't put cheese in)) and I won't eat certain foods where the cheese has been melted in (grilled cheese, cheeseburgers), but I will eat certain foods with cheese (pizza is one of my favorite foods, lasagna, baked ziti, cheesesteaks). 

4 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

I feel bad for NASA, because SpaceX seems to be taking all the glory. NASA is kept back by their tiny budget and Congress's restrictions. For the SLS, Congress pretty much said, "Use the leftovers from the shuttle program, because we don't want to fund research into a new system." SpaceX is also great at the cheap reusable rockets. A single Falcon Heavy costs $90 -$150 million to launch vs. the Delta IV, which costs $350 million. Also the SpaceX rockets are 100% reusable. They even catch the fairings to reuse them! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.