Update predictions?

Drop your predictions for what the next Dev Update article or video will hold. I’m really hoping for a more in depth look at the mechanics involving colonization. At start to finish progression of colonizing a planetary body would be awesome from delivering resources, mining it from the planet, and then achieving a self sufficient colony that becomes a Extra-Planetary Launch site would be awesome!

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Another something that fundamentally tells us nothing about the state of the game or the new mechanics that will govern a large amount of the gameplay.... So the usual

Well, there isn't much else to show off. Orbital mechanics isn't going to change. We already know that they are using Unity for the game engine. We already know most of the engines and drives they are using. The only things they can talk about is the colony and logistical mechanics, if they have them figured out. They could also talk about multiplayer, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

So they only really have new planets, parts, and animations to show off. So yeah, more of the same.

11 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Well, there isn't much else to show off.

There's a lot to show off, don't remember our discussion last week?

On 9/30/2020 at 1:16 PM, shdwlrd said:
On 9/30/2020 at 11:32 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

That all said, there are some things I would like to know more about in regards to things other than planets (the thing we have been shown the most).

Things like:

• What mechanics will govern how future engines will work?
  • Will they be all-in-one solutions or will I have to build the powertrain from multiple parts like in KSP IE?
  • How will building craft work and what has changed in comparison to how we already build them? 
  • How is radiation a factor to be considered and are engines the only things that produce it? (cough geomagnetic fields and solar storms in kerbalism cough)
  • Will all the resources we need be available or will we have to manufacture and/or farm them?
  • How will technological progression be handled?
  • Does science collection still exist?
  • How is science collection changed if it does?
  • Do finances still play a role in the game?
  • If so, how will financing our space programs be handled?

Nothing listed here i would consider spoiling the game. But these are game play questions they rather not answer at the moment.

They seem to be perfectionists when they decide to show us something. (Frankly, I don't blame them.)

17 hours ago, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A new publisher.

I would NOT be suprised in the least.

17 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Another something that fundamentally tells us nothing about the state of the game or the new mechanics that will govern a large amount of the gameplay.... So the usual

Yeah, Lets be honest, for all we know, they are twidling their thumbs during the day. No real updates or teasers have been released since the old (1st) dev blog, where we see a little in-game alpha build of it.

14 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Well, there isn't much else to show off. Orbital mechanics isn't going to change. We already know that they are using Unity for the game engine. We already know most of the engines and drives they are using. The only things they can talk about is the colony and logistical mechanics, if they have them figured out. They could also talk about multiplayer, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

So they only really have new planets, parts, and animations to show off. So yeah, more of the same.

Unity Game Engine. ARE THESE GUYS NUTS?????? UNITY???? You really expect Unity to run all of that data and telemetries, gravity, etc. Unity barely functions without problems as is. Use the game engine from Elite Dangerous or some other big space game that cares about gravity and size and all the stuff KSP cares about.

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

Unity barely functions without problems as is. Use the game engine from Elite Dangerous or some other big space game that cares about gravity and size and all the stuff KSP cares about.

Lol at saying that unity barely works and citing Elite Dangerous as a game with an engine that works.

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

Lol at saying that unity barely works and citing Elite Dangerous as a game with an engine that works.

Better than Unity. Most of the lowest rated games are made with unity or a copy of unity

Graphics are abismal in many Unity run games.

That's because Unity has a lot of crap games made for it. Cities: Skylines run on Unity, and it's a really beautiful game. The problem is the same as with all low cost options - low barrier to entry for people who don't know (or care) what they're doing. Cities in particular was made by an established developer (Paradox), and it is good. For most games, Unity is OK, even if it does get used for a lot of cheap asset flips.

A dedicated engine would likely be a better choice, but that's usually the province of serious simulator houses like Microsoft, Eagle Dynamics or Bohemia Interactive. 

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

Better than Unity. Most of the lowest rated games are made with unity or a copy of unity

Graphics are abismal in many Unity run games.

For once I agree with @Dragon01, I would add that it doesn't help that the free version of Unity forces you to have the logo while the paid one doesn't.

@mcwaffles2003 i still stand by both responses. None of them are game spoilers, but now isn't the time to address them.

Some items on the list still may need to be fleshed out, some items may be in development, while some items just isn't worth the time to do an update for at the moment. 

As I said, the devs are perfectionists when they release stuff. This community can be really tough on the developers at times. (Look at the old dev notes from Squad.) I bet they're willing to play the bad guys for not releasing info rather than rile the community up with options and features that can't make it into the game, or have changed from the original concept. (Looking at KSP1 in regards to multiplayer, atmosphere properties, etc.)

The only reasons we have gotten updates is to show off a feature, something they think is cool, to show the method to their madness, and worth their time to make. (Usually rolled all up one video.)

Right now we know they have a playable alpha and still are testing and developing features. Most of the things you are asking about I wouldn't even bother talking about until there was a beta release.

4 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The only reasons we have gotten updates is to show off a feature, something they think is cool, to show the method to their madness, and worth their time to make. (Usually rolled all up one video.)

Right now we know they have a playable alpha and still are testing and developing features. Most of the things you are asking about I wouldn't even bother talking about until there was a beta release.

I feel like elaborating on the new features of the VAB would be worthy and they can hide any parts they don't want us seeing. They were open enough to give us a peek so far and demonstrate the subassembly feature. IDK, this just seems like a basic enough feature to already be fleshed out enough to show off and it's something I think we would all like to see.

13 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I feel like elaborating on the new features of the VAB would be worthy and they can hide any parts they don't want us seeing. They were open enough to give us a peek so far and demonstrate the subassembly feature. IDK, this just seems like a basic enough feature to already be fleshed out enough to show off and it's something I think we would all like to see.

The various assembly buildings and features would be a good option for an update. There's a few things I can think of that would make me say not now.

It could be finished but not linked to the various launch sites in the game. It could be feature complete, but very janky operation of the features. There could be a part feature they don't want to expose. (They should be able to work around it, but it's a reason.) It could be they don't know what to call the colony and orbital assembly buildings. 

6 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Called it :P

No?

6 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

the new mechanics that will govern a large amount of the gameplay

I would say that knowing that individual kerbal stats are no longer just a placeholder that does nothing but an element of gameplay tell us a lot.

It seems like they're going with something more complex than mere G-limits and that "mood" stat that was cited in text could be a part of the LS system and if it is it could be that supplies are only a part of it (being lighter compared to mods* on the mere supplies side and having some habitation / living space stat for longer stays it's exactly something I expect).

(yes, it's not what we're most curious about but it's a good reveal)

* I'm not including Kerbalism in this, that's outright hardcore in everything

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

No?

I would say that knowing that individual kerbal stats are no longer just a placeholder that does nothing but an element of gameplay tell us a lot.

It seems like they're going with something more complex than mere G-limits and that "mood" stat that was cited in text could be a part of the LS system and if it is it could be that supplies are only a part of it (being lighter compared to mods* on the mere supplies side and having some habitation / living space stat for longer stays it's exactly something I expect).

Dude.... they revealed how the kerbal animations will react to the g-meter. THAT!... is core gameplay right there. I'm going to definitely shape my campaign and build my ships with this mechanism in mind.

>.> 

5 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:
2 hours ago, Master39 said:

No?

Dude.... they revealed how the kerbal animations will react to the g-meter. THAT!... is core gameplay right there. I'm going to definitely shape my campaign and build my ships with this mechanism in mind.

What else is there to talk about? What do you want to talk about?

2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I posted above

• Will they be all-in-one solutions or will I have to build the powertrain from multiple parts like in KSP IE?
  • How will building craft work and what has changed in comparison to how we already build them? 
  • How is radiation a factor to be considered and are engines the only things that produce it? (cough geomagnetic fields and solar storms in kerbalism cough)
  • Will all the resources we need be available or will we have to manufacture and/or farm them?

These are a few of the questions that come to mind that wouldn't spoil the game yet still govern large parts of gameplay relevant to the core experience

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Just now, mcwaffles2003 said:
3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I posted above

• How is radiation a factor to be considered and are engines the only things that produce it? (cough geomagnetic fields and solar storms in kerbalism cough)

Okay. Please start a discussion about one of those then.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

I have before.. but us discussing them doesn't tell us anything about what the devs actually have in store though. So talking with everybody here about them wouldn't really do anything with regards to discovering what is actually in the game.

Just now, mcwaffles2003 said:
2 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I have before.. but us discussing them doesn't tell us anything about what the devs actually have in store though. So talking with everybody here about them wouldn't really do anything with regards to discovering what is actually in the game.

Oh. Let's keep discussing the Kerbal G-force thing then, that's interesting.

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

I bet mood will impact boom events. Keep your colonies comfortable to live in and it will be more self-sufficient than a cheap tin can with a drill, a launchpad and a few biodomes attached.

Every game i look forward to is getting delayed so yeah, KSP2 meh, give us a date of a new KSP patch or a 60 dollar expansion for this good game i have and i dont care about 2 years from now...

or even worse 4 years to have a good stable game.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

I bet mood will impact boom events. Keep your colonies comfortable to live in and it will be more self-sufficient than a cheap tin can with a drill, a launchpad and a few biodomes attached.

I would risk saying that that's a given, my speculation is that it could be used as a "destination" for the whole life support system, everything influences "mood" and so you have a LS that has consequences (Kerbals in bad moods are next to useless) but that doesn't kill half of your kerbonauts (remember, a lot of bases, stations and infrastructure in this new game) if you misclick when using the time-warp.

Add a "lowest mood during mission" value to the mission end screen and you have a parameter to prove that you care about LS.

Edited by Master39