The Elcano Challenge: Ground-Based Circumnavigation (4th)

I thought it would be Minmus first for me, but here's the full condensed trip around Gilly. It's about 45 minutes as is. Most of it is an 8x edited speed, with much of the run being performed at 2x physwarp.

I hope more people attempt this one. It's totally manageable! Although, maybe a clarification should be made about how much "ground transportation" is actually required for a Gilly Run, because even with wheels alone this craft can make some pretty awesome suborbital jumps. For full acceleration I need to fire up the Dawn engine to full thrust to keep the vessel from performing a wheelie. Super satisfying.

Here's a gallery of detes and comparative screenshots:

Spoiler

Where I started:

SdvPwpy.png

Where I Called it Complete:

tZSs8bF.png

Actual complete was a bit further:

Hso0pgn.png

A Breakdown of some times:

iORNuYy.png

and a cool screenshot:

YtkEilW.png

Pretty neat

How did I do?

Edited by Socraticat

22 hours ago, Socraticat said:

Although, maybe a clarification should be made about how much "ground transportation" is actually required for a Gilly Run, because even with wheels alone this craft can make some pretty awesome suborbital jumps

I ended up using upward-facing engines not so much to stick me down as to cut down the suborbital jumps. However, at 6 hours I make your average speed below 4 m/s, and that fits the screenshots; I'm not the ruleskerbal, but on (KSP1) Gilly I found 15m/s was the point at which the journey still felt like big jumps rather than a series of suborbital trajectories spliced together, so to me 4 m/s would seem more than reasonable.

@damerell oh yeah, 4m/s is totally ground based here. But for future reference it's a good debate. At 15 m/s I could have touched the ground far less. At 15 m/s average theres a good question of whether or not you touch the ground enough to consider the mission "ground based".

At 7m/s the jumps become unavoidable. 15m/s is like, half the escape velocity (which is 35m/s). I think I hit between 10 and 15 a couple of times. Lot's of Gilly covered in that time- not much on the ground.

Thanks for watching! I think Gilly looks pretty cool.

54 minutes ago, Socraticat said:

At 15 m/s average theres a good question of whether or not you touch the ground enough to consider the mission "ground based".

Mmm. I would not have been willing to go that fast without kOS support to keep the wheels on the ground more of the time.

1 hour ago, damerell said:

Mmm. I would not have been willing to go that fast without kOS support to keep the wheels on the ground more of the time.

I see what you did there... Yeah, 15 was pretty much a cap for me. I liked 10, but it was only for flats or rolling hills. If I kept the dawn engine on it would flatten the trajectory as soon as wheels left the ground. But I didn't have that kind of battery available, so it was a balancing act. I ended up resorting to manually engaging the thruster for upcoming jumps, recovering from an unplanned launch, or accelerating.

@Socraticat, congratulations on your Gilly circumnavigation!  I (finally) added you to the leaderboards.

Just for reference, I used a pogo-stick on Gilly, using a hydraulic cylinder from the BG pack.  I was able to reach speeds in excess of 7 m/s, which I was pretty happy with.  Not really sure, but I suspect that speeds in the 10-15 m/s range would have been somewhat manageable.  The 7 m/s speeds were just the limit of what the stock (BG) hydraulic cylinder was capable of propelling me to.

that time I reached the green monolith on gilly I never could exceed 4 m/s. even then, I was just bouncing and not really driving.

then again, I had a rover that was optimized as multipurpose vehicle, and not purely to drive. but reaching 10 m/s on gilly seem weird. I did get those speeds on wheels on ovok, which is roughly the same size, but ovok is very flat. and when I got to 10 m/s, at the first jump I covered maybe a 10th of the planet before landing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings all.
I was on the ride when summer 2022, at the time a Reddit guy called Sid Spooki start a challenge KSC-South pole;
I followed him and after that bring my Cybertruck back to runway.
B3Ccb4h.jpeg
(I was doing this with live on YouTube, so the number is full time of videos - not clock on Kerbin)

I already read this topic weeks ago, but see there are some rules:
{Using thrust .... to control .... while above the surface is not allowed
{No ferrying your vehicle on a boat.

as infos in the map, some parts of my travel IS NOT meet the require....
however - this 7080km tour is one of my proudest things I have done,
so I still decide to share it   here.

Wheel in KerbalX (100% stock)
e4uhiltinja91.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

Timelapse and more screenshots

Best shots I pick

Spoiler

YxZmRWO.jpeg
altKN23.jpeg
I call this range "Holy South Walls"
1w7GS6L.jpeg
yotODXg.jpeg
lr8IkjN.jpeg
By thhe end I visited 4 Monoliths on the route

not adopted? Im good with.
Thanks for reading.

question: I am trying a circumnavigation of a small world very close to its star. so close, in fact, that kerbals outside of a habitat will quickly die of overheating. maybe 30 seconds, maybe one minute. I have time to plant a flag if i'm quick.

can I activate the "ignore maximum temperature" cheat for practicality?

@18Watt seems to be away; I am not the ruleskerbal, but my answer would be to track progress by screenshots or something like the SCANsat BTDT, not by flags - but also that it's fine to use the cheat for the sole purpose of flag planting.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:47 AM, king of nowhere said:

question: I am trying a circumnavigation of a small world very close to its star. so close, in fact, that kerbals outside of a habitat will quickly die of overheating. maybe 30 seconds, maybe one minute. I have time to plant a flag if i'm quick.

can I activate the "ignore maximum temperature" cheat for practicality?

Can I take a guess and say it’s 2 Wolda from Whirligig World? I remember having issues with kerbals overheating there during my ill-fated grand tour mission.

1 minute ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Can I take a guess and say it’s 2 Wolda from Whirligig World? I remember having issues with kerbals overheating there during my ill-fated grand tour mission.

it is, yes. but I found out that I have enough time to plant a flag and move on.
my main issue is that I want to plant a flag every 5 km, and that requires stopping the rover. and stopping the rover in such low gravity is extremely complex, especially when i'm on an incline.
so to avoid having to stop the rover, I send out the kerbal in eva to plant a flag, then return on the rover with a jetpack. and for that, I sometimes have no time.

well, wolda has an elongated shape. which, from the purpose of navigating it, it's akin to having two extremely tall mountains on opposite sides of the asteroid. So I spend half the time going uphill, and half the time going downhill.

for the uphill part, the rover moves slow enough that I can plant a flag and return with no problems before getting cooked. for the downhill part, the rover picks up speed (as much as 10 m/s for a fall of several km). well, next time I go downhill maybe I'll just won't plant flags. Or maybe I'll learn to be faster.

on the plus side, I discovered that I can time warp even near the surface, and that when time warping I can save the game even if close to the surface. This means I can save the game before getting out and planting a flag. So I can try it again if it fails. problem solved.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:43 AM, king of nowhere said:

it is, yes. but I found out that I have enough time to plant a flag and move on.
my main issue is that I want to plant a flag every 5 km, and that requires stopping the rover. and stopping the rover in such low gravity is extremely complex, especially when i'm on an incline.
so to avoid having to stop the rover, I send out the kerbal in eva to plant a flag, then return on the rover with a jetpack. and for that, I sometimes have no time.

well, wolda has an elongated shape. which, from the purpose of navigating it, it's akin to having two extremely tall mountains on opposite sides of the asteroid. So I spend half the time going uphill, and half the time going downhill.

for the uphill part, the rover moves slow enough that I can plant a flag and return with no problems before getting cooked. for the downhill part, the rover picks up speed (as much as 10 m/s for a fall of several km). well, next time I go downhill maybe I'll just won't plant flags. Or maybe I'll learn to be faster.

on the plus side, I discovered that I can time warp even near the surface, and that when time warping I can save the game even if close to the surface. This means I can save the game before getting out and planting a flag. So I can try it again if it fails. problem solved.

If you have a probe core on your rover you can just use Kerbnet to place waypoints every now and then, so you don't need to stop.

7 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

If you have a probe core on your rover you can just use Kerbnet to place waypoints every now and then, so you don't need to stop.

I can't, because kerbnet does not work in the whirligig world planetary pack 

Regardless, i could just take a screenshot in map view with highlighted the rover, its "landed" status, and its coordinates. Still, i prefer planting flags

Around Kerbin.  I didn't take many screenshots but I started from KSC and went basically straight west.

Be careful about opening spoilers, they don't warn you how many screenies can be inside...

Spoiler

2XaTj5N.jpg

HxOBxM7.jpg

uNHTvtT.jpg

5VzOUhq.jpg

eBWSWao.jpg

vixBg0a.jpg

qfqgtRW.jpg

yCziYRh.jpg

LztKDFq.jpg

wYfPn3b.jpg

bloOTHx.jpg

DK1PZZ1.jpg

MckiqL8.jpg

v6ttkhu.jpg

2yzm2mI.jpg

TS9M9HM.jpg

1JdQPkp.jpg

qju0PfG.jpg

B9FApZa.jpg

HWXQmRf.jpg

3Xx2LOM.jpg

Wmzsz6q.jpg

80hgqsQ.jpg

5foK652.jpg

Z6YIfLw.jpg

PV7mCBK.jpg

NKfC3Kl.jpg

o7yC5hs.jpg

8l2hnK2.jpg

GAODRyg.jpg

njVrdsE.jpg

ScSPOI6.jpg

30 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Around Kerbin.  I didn't take many screenshots but I started from KSC and went basically straight west.

Be careful about opening spoilers, they don't warn you how many screenies can be inside...

Hide contents

2XaTj5N.jpg

HxOBxM7.jpg

uNHTvtT.jpg

5VzOUhq.jpg

eBWSWao.jpg

vixBg0a.jpg

qfqgtRW.jpg

yCziYRh.jpg

LztKDFq.jpg

wYfPn3b.jpg

bloOTHx.jpg

DK1PZZ1.jpg

MckiqL8.jpg

v6ttkhu.jpg

2yzm2mI.jpg

TS9M9HM.jpg

1JdQPkp.jpg

qju0PfG.jpg

B9FApZa.jpg

HWXQmRf.jpg

3Xx2LOM.jpg

Wmzsz6q.jpg

80hgqsQ.jpg

5foK652.jpg

Z6YIfLw.jpg

PV7mCBK.jpg

NKfC3Kl.jpg

o7yC5hs.jpg

8l2hnK2.jpg

GAODRyg.jpg

njVrdsE.jpg

ScSPOI6.jpg

That was fast! My underwater amphibious rover is only at 7° south after like two hours and a half of driving on the seabed...

Around Minmus, same craft.  Smooth trip, no quicksaves needed at all.  Screenshots are again sparse, I estimate there are some 60km stretches between pics, sorry.

Spoiler

wPrkCZa.jpg

2qmv9K9.jpg

zHpyNOj.jpg

Mi47ECz.jpg

a7BWLKU.jpg

ZAeSs6G.jpg

Xtwclkk.jpg

l7fOeBX.jpg

V7zsxbG.jpg

ftfkt9p.jpg

1FETp2A.jpg

wMSttK3.jpg

JBhPwgU.jpg

nSTXi4c.jpg

PkBcJ2R.jpg

KNMq8KQ.jpg

CePtjdo.jpg

Apparently I didn't take any screenshots between 5:58 (above) and 6:35 PM (below).  I could have sworn I did, but I can't find them.  Given that my speed varies between 40 and 60 m/s, I could have covered around 100km (a third of the journey) here. *akward*  Hope this run still counts.

I basically went straight across the dark part of the highlands on the left, and the picture below is the journey across Minmus' biggest flat.

s5qIE2u.jpg

3wn74KA.jpg

IOEygSZ.jpg

Ti1nPEu.jpg

60inBlH.jpg

rtjMFov.jpg

nNeXzSP.jpg

nYP6ViZ.jpg

DaNqCGq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hope @18Watt is taking a long vacation, and didn't have an accident.

Meanwhile, I circumnavigated another modded planet. It's the minor body 2-Wolda, from the whirligig world planetary pack.

I also circumnavigated Jifgif, from the same planetary pack, but its report will wait a bit longer.

Reminder: the OPM Tal circumnavigation is still awayting confirmation