Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

There is nothing as unnatural as a Russian astronomer. The Russian simply does not see the stars, and he sees only the horizon.

Oswald Spengler, 1922

RIAN_5583774_HR_ru.jpg

Fun Fact:  Salt & Vinegar potato chips are like crack. 

Thanks, Canada. 

https://www.tastingtable.com/944459/the-reason-some-salt-and-vinegar-chip-brands-are-more-acidic/

Spoiler

Sea salt and vinegar potato chips were invented in 1968 by a Canadian chemical engineer named Jim Connell

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

It's that time of the year again, when the serious try to compete against the whimsical. Loved and hated for the exact same reasons, not bound by the confines of its own name, the one and only - Eurovision Song Contest.

Any favourites?

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

https://www-m24-ru.translate.goog/articles/nauka/13082015/81898?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Just another story about the invigorating power of natural radiation.

I'm proud to state that Russia didn't hit the dirt, together with others.

I run into those every few years - and it never fails to amaze. 

I swear that my grandfather still had one of those radiation chemistry sets in a closet I rooted around in back in the 70s. 

Kind of doesn't belong on this thread, but I found out there are even versions of the Soviet folk song Katyusha in Ainu (a Japanese language with only about 10 native speakers left) and in some constructed language from Lord of the Rings. Granted, the Ainu version isn't the most high quality version, but it's amazing that there's even a version of this song I thought was sort of niche in such a small language. I also just found instrumental versions of the song on tesla coils and musical calculators. I at least though that was pretty interesting, don't know if anyone else will. 

For something more interesting, Mt. Chimborazo in Ecuador is farther from the Earth's center than Mt. Everest, while not being as high above sea level as Everest is. I guess I can't resist to point out interesting geography facts.

9 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

For something more interesting, Mt. Chimborazo in Ecuador is farther from the Earth's center than Mt. Everest, while not being as high above sea level as Everest is. I guess I can't resist to point out interesting geography facts.

Then there's also Mauna Kea, which is the highest mountain from base to peak at 10-ish Km, but it's a bit less than halfway underwater.