Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

It's almost time for the annual Dragon Boat Festival again. In fact, apart from the boring straight-line acceleration, there are places where it adds something a little more difficult: for example, stopping sharply and turning into a sharp 90° corner (then do it again back to the finish line), or more than a corner

Spoiler
Edited by steve9728

On 6/11/2023 at 12:33 AM, steve9728 said:

It's almost time for the annual Dragon Boat Festival again. In fact, apart from the boring straight-line acceleration, there are places where it adds something a little more difficult: for example, stopping sharply and turning into a sharp 90° corner (then do it again back to the finish line), or more than a corner

Reveal hidden contents

Do they play "the Immigrant Song"?  Any  chance to run to shore, loot a monastery,  and run back?  Dragon-prowed ships aren't exclusively Chinese.

Please ignore boat/ship issues.

12 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Do they play "the Immigrant Song"?  Any  chance to run to shore, loot a monastery,  and run back?  Dragon-prowed ships aren't exclusively Chinese.

Please ignore boat/ship issues.

Man, we are not Vikings hahaha:D

Dragon boats in this country are for "rescue and memorial" at the very first beginning. Actually, I recommend checking out the Chinese wiki link, let Mr. Chrome help you.

4 hours ago, steve9728 said:

Man, we are not Vikings hahaha:D

Dragon boats in this country are for "rescue and memorial" at the very first beginning. Actually, I recommend checking out the Chinese wiki link, let Mr. Chrome help you.

Yes that plan is more in my lane. Obviously downside of an raiding an monastery is the lack of damsels in distress, yes we caused the distress but the lack of damsels is our problem.
Later missions worked on solving this issue, also why you want an navy. Unlucky I don't have any sponsors for this :) 

This only proves, that Americans were believing that the Earth is flat, and tried to photograph the Moon from the balloon, while the Soviet engineers were sure that the Earth is spherical, and found a better usage for that film, by sending it in a space probe.

Hail Probe!

7 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

This only proves, that Americans were believing that the Earth is flat, and tried to photograph the Moon from the balloon, while the Soviet engineers were sure that the Earth is spherical, and found a better usage for that film, by sending it in a space probe.

Hail Probe!

The moon was a sideshow.  If the wind had been stronger we could have seen past the edge and finally discovered the sex of Great A'Tuin. 

10 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Hail Probe!

Yes, but the US did land humans on the Moon Disc first!  No one else could handle the strange math involved in interdisc transfers and landings at the time, though some obscure probe or two may have gotten lucky

35 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Yes, but the US did land humans on the Moon Disc first!  No one else could handle the strange math involved in interdisc transfers and landings at the time, though some obscure probe or two may have gotten lucky

Now lets wait until the glue, attaching them to the lunar disc, gets dry, and they start falling down to the Earth.

16 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The whole perspective plus movement of Jupiter is playing havoc with my brain. 

Ostensibly the orbiter (Juno?) is moving right to left, which would explain the apparent faster speed of the outer moon - but Jupiter also seems to be rotating in the same direction as well? 

5 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The whole perspective plus movement of Jupiter is playing havoc with my brain. 

Ostensibly the orbiter (Juno?) is moving right to left, which would explain the apparent faster speed of the outer moon - but Jupiter also seems to be rotating in the same direction as well? 

Jupiter is rotation in the same direction as the major moons and faster than Io. As orbiter is outside of the moon it would be moving slower but it might be an perspective. Birds looks faster than planes as they are closer. 

Finland still uses the Criminal Code of 1889. Which means that, were you to open it, you would be greeted with the words "We Alexander the Third, by the Grace of God, Emperor and Sovereign of all Russias, Czar of Poland, Grand Duke of Finland, et cetera et cetera et cetera..."

I get forgotten laws like the ban on wearing armor in the British Parliament, but I'm surprised that nobody's tried taking a bulldozer to the preamble of a law so vital.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Finland still uses the Criminal Code of 1889. Which means that, were you to open it, you would be greeted with the words "We Alexander the Third, by the Grace of God, Emperor and Sovereign of all Russias, Czar of Poland, Grand Duke of Finland, et cetera et cetera et cetera..."

I get forgotten laws like the ban on wearing armor in the British Parliament, but I'm surprised that nobody's tried taking a bulldozer to the preamble of a law so vital.

lol, fun fact about "customary law"?

One more: The Qing Empire fell in 1912, but some of its legal texts were used in British Hong Kong until 7 October 1971. The Qing Code was only used for Chinese, Europeans use European laws - which means that if you killed someone at the time, if you were Chinese you would be beheaded and if you were British you would be hanged.

Oh wait, sorry, my bad: Finland is a country using civil law system. Everyday learn something new!

Edited by steve9728

8 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Expert guide recommended. 

https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/3453916

(Fun fact: you can go on a guided Bigfoot hunt in Kentucky with a local Bigfoot expert) 

Meh, Bigfoot is a Washington-Oregon-Northern California thing in my book. Get your own tourist trap name!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Glass catwalks are safe.

Hide contents

Now that is pretty evil to do I say, also pretty dangerous from anything from groups panicking to heart attack. I'm very sure you have an top protective glass layer and structural panel below.
you want the protective layer to be very hard to scratch and the structural layer to be strong but do not have to be scratch resistant. It also make it easy to replace the protective layer if its damgerd. 
But even knowing this I would be scared.