Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I guess you never had liquid nitrogen poured over the back of your hand? The Leidenfrost effect is your friend...

For this reason many people handling liquid nitrogen don't wear protective gloves when doing so. Spilling a bit on your hand does no damage thanks to this effect, but pouring it in a glove or soaking some clothing with it will get you pretty nasty burns.

I don’t know what happened with me then, there was no prep, just wait till I stop panicking, put that blue cloth thing in the liquid nitrogen, then put it on me, it hurt, worst pain I have ever felt, eventually I managed to get out (by which I mean force the door open and run) and was lucky that the desk secretary opened the door, shut the door behind me, and ran full speed into the rain.

Later I had a bulbous purple ball sticking out where the burn was for a good long time until it popped and painlessly spat out its contents.

And that over a wart, it wasn’t painful at all that wart, it just ‘looked ugly.’ This is a major cause for my despise of doing anything for aesthetics. Much to my nice and tidy, thinks looks matter mom’s annoyance.

But anyways, on that note:

Fact, any plane that winds up pretty did it most likely by happy accident.

29 minutes ago, Beamer said:

soaking some clothing with it will get you pretty nasty burns.

And that’s exactly what happend there.

26 minutes ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

I don’t know what happened with me then, there was no prep, just wait till I stop panicking, put that blue cloth thing in the liquid nitrogen, then put it on me, it hurt, worst pain I have ever felt, eventually I managed to get out (by which I mean force the door open and run) and was lucky that the desk secretary opened the door, shut the door behind me, and ran full speed into the rain.

Later I had a bulbous purple ball sticking out where the burn was for a good long time until it popped and painlessly spat out its contents.

And that over a wart, it wasn’t painful at all that wart, it just ‘looked ugly.’ This is a major cause for my despise of doing anything for aesthetics. Much to my nice and tidy, thinks looks matter mom’s annoyance.

To be fair, when using liquid nitrogen for warts the entire purpose is to freeze them, so just pouring some over it wouldn't work due to described effect. To actually freeze the wart you have to use a piece of cloth or q-tip or something similar. As a kid some 40 years ago I had one on the bottom of my foot right on a patch of calluses that was causing a lot of pain when walking. We tried various over the counter products with no effect. Finally the doctor got involved and used 2 implements to 'treat' it, one was a tiny spoon with sharpened edges and the other I can only describe as a soldering iron. I won't go into details but I think I would have preferred the nitrogen, that's progress from my point of view...

1 hour ago, Beamer said:

For this reason many people handling liquid nitrogen don't wear protective gloves when doing so. Spilling a bit on your hand does no damage thanks to this effect, but pouring it in a glove or soaking some clothing with it will get you pretty nasty burns.

As long as you don’t touch supercold solids. When I buy propane the attendant wears impermeable rubberized gauntlets, the kind that protect from chemical spills. Liquid propane won’t soak in, any it protects from the potentially freezing fittings. Liquid nitrogen is usually in dewar (thermos) flasks, so the containers are not so cold that they freeze to your skin…

Unfortunately, I didn't communicate the problem to my parents - and they dismissed it as calusses or minor wounds from rocks  - until I had a total of 52 warts over both feet, a thumb and an index finger.

That freezing campaign... wasn't fun.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Unfortunately, I didn't communicate the problem to my parents - and they dismissed it as calusses or minor wounds from rocks  - until I had a total of 52 warts over both feet, a thumb and an index finger.

That freezing campaign... wasn't fun.

Just imagine you are a stormtrooper on Titan .

8 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

While this is subjective (I prefer more bitter, hoppy bier)... mass produced beers likely to become 'better tasting' in the near future:

Scientists Just Figured Out a Way to Make Beer Taste Even Better : ScienceAlert

I'm sending this article to a friend of mine who owns a bar to read. Ever since this Alcoholic Frankenstein opened a bar, he has been obsessed with brewing his own beer: from all sorts of weird distilled spirits to the best fresh beer I've ever tasted.

Spoiler

But honestly I like Scottish stouts

The blast doors of Bunker 703 (Special Archives of the Foreign Ministry), Moscow is a 10-ton ferrocrete slab. The fun fact is, actuators (purely mechanical ones in the mid-1950s through to 1981) are located exclusively on the outside of the bunker entryway. Before the addition of an electric motor with buttons on either side, the only way someone from inside the bunker was supposed to open it was with a crowbar. No, the guys that set uo a museum there have no idea why this was the choice made. The gasproof doors (such as the one behind the blast door) are an ordinary hand-operated "quick-acting" design.

Granted, if something on the other side of the blast door was holding it in place, anyone inside was supposed to use the escape tunnels (without full blast doors) into a subway service trunk.

Edited by DDE

A seven and half years old Pallas's cat, and also is the only male Palla's cat in captivity in China, was died because he ate the chicken too quickly and got chicken cartilage stuck in his throat.

Palla's cat in Chinese is 兔狲, and his  name is Sun Simiao(狲思邈). Harmonized with an ancient Chinese medical practitioner and pharmacologist. He was born in 2015 and was found and rescued from a home in Yinchuan that same year (it is said that this little villain ran into people's homes to steal food). Simiao also harmonized four second in Chinese. And his first mating session at the rescue center was witnessed and recorded by rescuers... well, this little guy only lasted four seconds:lol: So, he got the name! (Sounds really bad to his dignity)

image.png

image.png

(Thank goodness these cats are not a particularly endangered species, and every now and then there are news stories about these little villains stealing chickens from herdsmen's homes)

So, here's Heimlich Maneuver for cats

D83zXhyXYAAh9_d.jpg

And for our best friends:

Dog-Heimlich-Maneuver-steps.jpg

Edited by steve9728

19 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Still waiting for my flying car. Now I can add my ornithopter to the list.

It is called a helicopter, and it turns out that moving in three dimensions is both more expensive and more difficult than moving in 2 dimensions, which is why most people do not bother to use them.  (generally just people with more money than time)

Also, since the only people that can afford to fly and maintain a helicopter can also afford multiple high-end cars, there is not much point in making a less functional car/helicopter hybrid. 

I wrote about the crazy basing methods proposed for the MX/Peacekeeper missile program back in the 70s awhile back. This was one of the ideas.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

9. 200 uncrewed canisters tethered to the ocean floor. They would pop up to the surface and then launch their missiles on command.

Fun fact: North Korea claims they have become the first ever nation to employ such a method of ballistic missile housing, some 45 years after the US first created the concept.

"At dawn [on] September 25, a simulated launching drill of [a] ballistic missile loaded with [a] tactical nuclear warhead was conducted at the underwater launching ground [emphasis added SunlitZelkova] in a reservoir in the northwestern part of Korea," KCNA said. "The drill was aimed at confirming the swift and safe operational order during the taking out, carrying and use of tactical nuclear warhead, inspecting the reliability of the universal operation system and mastering the system practicing the ballistic missile launching ability at the underwater launching grounds and inspecting the rapid response posture."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/dont-laugh-at-north-koreas-lake-launched-ballistic-missiles

As far as I can tell, it is not clear whether it is actually operational though.

This would also qualify for the "Real Life Kerbalisms" thread!

5 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Fun fact: North Korea claims they have become the first ever nation to employ such a method of ballistic missile housing, some 45 years after the US first created the concept.

The Deutsch were the furst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-2_rocket#Unfulfilled_plans

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_U-boat

Edited by kerbiloid
Added The

6 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

in a reservoir

I have serious doubts. One, what you're describing is an SLBM submersible test stand. The Soviets used them as well, but images of those are pretty hard to find.

You, however, missed the bit about an inland reservoir. It's the other daft basing method from that study, if memory serves.

Edited by DDE