Fun Fact Thread! (previously fun fact for the day, not limited to 1 per day anymore.)

The Apollo XIII failure was caused by the exploding tank falling (from a height of like five centimeters) and breaking something, somewhere in the mid-sixties. The problem was detected several times, but was never fixed!

Spoiler

That's Kerbal lol

1 hour ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

One of the things China's first satellite, Dong Fang Hing 1, was supposed to do was blast the song "The East is Red".

Dong Fang Hong(东方红), and it's still in the orbit: nowadays, it even usually become the first satellite to be tracked by kids in the astronomy hobby groups in numbers of Chinese primary and secondary schools, led by their teachers who observe it.

Well, another fun fact about Dong Fang Hong: nowadays, the DFH is still the name for the satellite platform, such as Shijian-20 which based on DFH-5, and the Apstar-6E based on DFH-3E, which the first Chinese full electrically propulsion satellite platform. 

Edited by steve9728

We have removed a number of posts which were pro or con with regard to conspiracy theories. Those are not fun facts. 

And if you think a post is a problem, please report it rather than arguing against it. Arguing about it just further derails threads. 

In 1980, all of Philadelphia’s 4 main sports teams went to their respective playoffs. Only one won, though. That’s how we roll, I guess.

I thought this one was fairly on topic, considering the Eagles just won.

Edited by Kerbalsaurus

15 minutes ago, VickTC said:

I wonder what they mine on there if most inhabitants do not even own a simple PC...

The inhabitants own simple PC everywhere (the consoles aren't popular).

And these 500 MW mostly belong to several biggest mining companies (300 MW to BitRiver, having 8 facilities).

Fusion reactors will turn the whole world into one big Bitcoin mine.

Fun fact: when you're stuck in a traffic jam, a GPS map is a form of social media.

"If you hear the howling of a wounded boar, that's just me screaming in desperation"

Spoiler

AWrw8oDjcxk.jpg?size=997x2160&quality=95

"I need to drive my mother-in-law to the train station! Let me through!"

Spoiler

Yke-w0PNsxk.jpg?size=557x1080&quality=96

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Fun fact: when you're stuck in a traffic jam, a GPS map is a form of social media.

"If you hear the howling of a wounded boar, that's just me screaming in desperation"

Hide contents

AWrw8oDjcxk.jpg?size=997x2160&quality=95

"I need to drive my mother-in-law to the train station! Let me through!"

Reveal hidden contents

Yke-w0PNsxk.jpg?size=557x1080&quality=96

How do they measure traffic jams? my guess is by the rate mobile phones are moving.  You tag phones who are moving at driving speed and then slows to an crawl. You need to filter out people walking but think that is only an issue for busses. 

4 hours ago, DDE said:

Hopefully this will embed

Well if you want to shoot down Venus you need to upgun the battleship some others of magnitude. 
During WW 2 Japan tried to send balloons with bombs to the US from Japan, it failed as in killing an family and causing some minor forest fires. 
US sent balloons over the Soviet union at the start of the cold war. USSR used the film from one of these balloons to take images from the backside of the moon as the film was very insensitive to cosmic rays flying high for weeks. 
Don't think the Chinese balloons are spy something as they has spy satellites and you can simply arrange an flight pretty much everywhere in the US and have an camera in the plane.