AI—image/text/paperclip maximizer?

tater

Been messing with a few of these, and I thought it should probably get a thread.

https://www.midjourney.com/home/

https://openai.com/blog/dall-e/

https://stability.ai/blog/stable-diffusion-public-release

Those are text prompts to images... incredibly fun to play with.

Midjourney:

IL9o0II.png

Prompt was "the hydrogen sonata"

A Photoshop plugin I am thinking of getting does an astounding job at recovering faces/details in images. Gigapixel AI:

https://www.topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai

IycVZZU.png

My grandfather, circa 1918. I think the AI did a decent job, the one on the right is shockingly close to what I saw in the mirror at his age.

To be clear, left is a scan of an old family photo, right is what gigapixel did in a couple seconds.

Edited by tater

11 hours ago, tater said:

Those are text prompts to images... incredibly fun to play with.

Had a fun run with craiyon recently.  My pfp is shamelessly taken from one of its results.  It's certainly not the best one out there, but it's really fun since most of its drawings look like the scribblings of a hyperactive 6 year old whose psych meds stopped working.

I don't remember the prompt for this one, but one of my favorites.  Since craiyon gives rather small pictures, I also ran this one through an AI upscaler.

AbjyhVKr_4x.jpg

Midjourney is pretty "artsy" in output, DALL-E seems more photo-like, though I have yet to make anything that I like with it, limited tries so far. I have not messes with Stable Diffusion yet.

vuzJ2Mx.png

(one of the midjourney variations of "the hydrogen sonata")

• 2 weeks later...

Soon the neuronets will be ecranizing books and make personally optimized movies based on the user preferences.

And generate videoclips on the fly based on the music and the user preferences.

This will immerse himans into the virtually changing augmented reality.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:30 PM, kerbiloid said:

Soon the neuronets will be ecranizing books and make personally optimized movies based on the user preferences.

To be fair, with the kind of adaptations we've geen getting, they can't doo much worse.

The real threat is recursive apocalypse: neuronets being trained on material predominantly from other neuronets.

The visual stuff is getting better week by week. This will be interesting to watch. The ability to label content will be very useful. Ie: label a character you generate, and that data includes a seed so that you can then ask for that same character in another image. Say "Luke" render him in 3/4 view wearing a robe, in a desert with 2 moons. Then render in an orange flight suit with helmet. You could storyboard a movie, or completely render a comic or graphic novel with just prompts.

The next big thing would be to have the engine not look just at labeled 2d images, but have more labeled 3d model data. Game engines might be good for this (UE5?). The idea is for it to start to be able to deal with objects in 3-space. You can ask for buildings, and in some cases they look OK until to pay close attention, then they make no sense. The ability to have it generate a 3d building—inside and out—would be pretty amazing.

11 hours ago, tater said:

The ability to have it generate a 3d building—inside and out—would be pretty amazing.

I think they'll basically have to do what they did for text - have to teach the AI to understand the connection between design elements of each and every object you want to emulate. Right now... remember how in Solaris, the first time the girl "spawns", her dress is just a continuous tube, and the buttons are non-functional? That's what the AI is doing with buildings.

The more I look at these, the more fascinated I get. 

I think the criticism is misplaced - because there is definitely a fusion between the ai generated image and the human artist who curates the image(s).  Some of the compilations I've seen are better than others. 

This is good 

This is meh 

Maybe I'm just drawn to the art style of one more so than another (first is Mind journey, second is StableDiffusion) - but I think the first Hotel California video is more evocative. 

I would not limit the folks who are doing this to being merely curators.  Just as you can call an animator or videographer an artist - the art is in selection of the image and using it/them in telling a story. 

This shows a bit of the process - b/c the artist chose to present multiple images rather than selecting only one. 

@tater - this is a fascinating rabbit hole! 

• 3 weeks later...

The future universal human salute gesture.

Spoiler

rebel-fist-vector-id186098052?k=20&m=186

Spoiler

Because the Matrix still can't into fingers properly.

1664539662197590149.jpg

"I feel something weird here... Is it neuronet?"

"Yes, it is. Look, it's confused by the number of fingers."

1664539676193841937.jpg

Spoiler

So, when you meet a new person, first ask him her them it to show its hands.

Just to be sure that it' s real rather than a deep fake.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question: why can't many of these (e.g. Stable Diffusion) be run on a consumer laptop at an appropriate glacial speed? Why is there a really tall minimum system requirement to neural nets?

Inspiration to prior question: NovelAI, whose original product is a GPT text 'game', have their own version of Stable Diffusion as well. And in theory it's basically another Waifu Diffusion. But, except for the frequent issues with eyes - it seems to use anime pupils on normal-proportioned faces - I haven't had too much trouble taking it in a wholly different direction.

Spoiler

hvteOle.png