First beta KSP2 images

Just now, Gojira said:

Yeah, and I recognize that. Doesn't mean I can't still one day hope for it :p

Given the new codebase and emphasis on making modding more versatile, I wonder how far you could push procedural generation. KSP 1 had proc gen star systems at most (To Boldly Go), but the systems had to be generated outside the game in a 3rd party program, but then again KSP 1 had you load everything on startup. Without these kinds of limitations, I don't suppose proc gen scenery could be done with KSP 2?

I really don't get the critics about KSP1+mods being better than KSP2 . It's a very unfair comparison, mods are also coming to KSP2 and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them adds much more features than what was available through KSP1 mods.

Also, considering that modding should be somehow easier on KSP2 than on KSP1, I wouldn't be surprised if many old mods get integrated in KSP2. 

All released screenshots makes me want to play to this new game and be part of this new journey.  But I get that many people want to be surprised, to feel a new experience in the Kerbol system and that it is fustrating to wait again multiple months to be there, but at least mods will be available too ! :science:

I would have expected kerbain clouds to not be as "fog" like, was expecting more of a somewhat within kerbals capabilities like EVE redux, with large contrast, huge beautiful clouds everywhere you look.. and not something like Environmental visuals 1.8, with a smoothed clouds instead of bunch of small ones.

the clouds just seem thin, and flat, i really don't know how something like weather could be added, if ever added as of now.

8QafvXY.png

one of the stark differences between what we been shown with clouds right now the clouds there have shown depth, size, the clouds get darker, cloud self shadowing etc.. compare to 

ss9f7d31044972b7c6a2.jpg

and don't get me wrong about the other clips we have seen about the clouds so far, but seeing

h1NFDIQ.png

koW6mRI.png

its just not a comparison right now.. it was pretty close with what they showed before

and

I'm showing that they do have such technologies to make clouds look as good as a certain mod that being produced for ksp 1. but the lack of nothing more than mix of cirrostratus clouds, altocumulus clouds and altostratus clouds for ksp 2 kerbin just looks... sad? like something they created, and just removed all function of, its hard to put my input on it without sounding insane, i was expecting big beautiful clouds with tons of variation but all we have seen as of current KSP 2 clouds on kerbin is rather flat, smooth, with some "textile" bumps here and there with it being mostly semi-transparent.. with almost nothing showing like a "ecosystem" of clouds, just a one type of cloud for the entire planet its just a shame as of now to see it everywhere like that.

i would love some justice for bigger clouds as an option its just such a killer so far to see it like that.

8 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

I would have expected kerbain clouds to not be as "fog" like, was expecting more of a somewhat within kerbals capabilities like EVE redux, with large contrast, huge beautiful clouds everywhere you look.. and not something like Environmental visuals 1.8, with a smoothed clouds instead of bunch of small ones.

Consider this: maybe they're just not meant to be realistic? EVE's clouds do not look nice. Well, they do look nice, but they do not mesh well with KSP's graphics. KSP 2's clouds do look like they're from the same game as the rocket in the foreground, though.

Never thought I would get to a point where I would be arguing with people about clouds in a game about vaporizing frogs, life can be funny. All of the complaints comes from one, maybe two images of an early access game, none of what you see in these images is indicative of the entire cloud system in the game. Besides, the first game didn't have clouds at all, let alone any good atmospheric effects and now that we finally have them were comparing them to mods that hardly anyone can run? I know it comes down to personal opinion at this point but I don't think the clouds in KSP should be realistic at all. The clouds in the first game you could get with mods looked awful in the game, and my computer suffered while rendering them.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Consider this: maybe they're just not meant to be realistic? EVE's clouds do not look nice. Well, they do look nice, but they do not mesh well with KSP's graphics. KSP 2's clouds do look like they're from the same game as the rocket in the foreground, though.

I'm asking for more variation of clouds an ecosystem, they have shown they can make good looking clouds that fit into ksp 2 really well, but the "artistic" features is just to much the complete flattening, semi transparent look just doesn't feel like its really there, like its in kerbal space program 2, more of an afterthought even after seeing the other videos of OTHER planets clouds, it just seems that they took the literal artistic part of building a game way to seriously and dropped the bucket making a ecosystem of clouds for kerbin..

its like someone "vaped" and blew out clouds for the entire planet of kerbin.

Seeing one type of art for rocket launch plume, but not in clouds doesn't make sense, watching the launch of the rockets in the most recent videos, that has realism with it but not to a degree of complete perfectness of what real life behaves and looks like, something that has an artistic feature that makes it unique, but doesn't completely remove the beauty of it, but then just one type of clouds for kerbin where most new players will start with?

the show and tell clouds look like they would be way more befitting in this game than what has been shown on kerbin even in that small little video there was tons of varraition of clouds, including the one that is plastered all over kerbin in ksp 2.. i will wait and see what other photos will come.. but i doubt it will change for kerbin. variation is key, and i see zero variation in ksp 2 kerbin, other planets yes but not on kerbin.

38 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I've seen this answer a lot and to be completely honest, I think it's rubbish.

The new EVE clouds are simply gorgeous, whether or not they clash with the rest of the game aside. The KSP 2 Kerbin clouds on the other hand look distractingly cartoony, with the samey little cloud blobs dotted over the whole planet - I'd argue they clash more than the new EVE clouds do in KSP 1.

As Stephensan suggested, if they added varied, large cloud formations with a bit of verticality as shown in the new EVE clouds, then it would look great.

Just now, Luriss said:

The new EVE clouds are simply gorgeous, whether or not they clash with the rest of the game aside

I'm guessing this is the same mindset that led to KSP 1 ending its development with a smattering of conflicting and borderline ugly part textures, with some not even being touched (like the launch clamps). Whether or not they clash matters a significant amount when you're trying to make a competent game that doesn't look ugly.

Just now, Luriss said:

The KSP 2 Kerbin clouds on the other hand look distractingly cartoony, with the samey little cloud blobs dotted over the whole planet

They are undoubtedly from the same game as the rocket. As for KSP 1 + EVE, the clouds just look out of place. The outlines around the parts in the VAB, the cartoonish clouds and plumes that achieve a good mix of realism and style all fit nicely together and communicate a specific style - realistic clouds as EVE is doing would just throw a wrench in all of that and would look tacky against an otherwise carefully crafted style.

"The debate is still ongoing, since most academic summits held to address the issue have devolved into, on good days, petty name calling, and on worse ones, all-out brawls."

-The Kerbal Astronomical Society on the classification of Eeloo-

Mostly quoting for the sake of the reference but I have a feeling this debate is going to be going on for a long long time.

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

"The debate is still ongoing, since most academic summits held to address the issue have devolved into, on good days, petty name calling, and on worse ones, all-out brawls."

-The Kerbal Astronomical Society on the classification of Eeloo-

Mostly quoting for the sake of the reference but I have a feeling this debate is going to be going on for a long long time.

nah i think its simple as that, the artistic-ness of kerbins clouds is just to much, and there needs to be more variation.. they fit the game yes? the current one does within the degree of that is what has been shown for ksp 2 clouds on kerbin..  but what they shown before also fit if not way better, and not the ultra alpha video, the previous video i have sent, so why ultra simplify it to a point its more cartoony than looking like some clouds.

hyper realistic launch plumes, ground, and textures but draw the line for amazing clouds that they HAVE shown before... everything besides the clouds are absolute bangers on the side of looking good however, ultra simple clouds with zero variations compared to what they showed before is just limiting what the game can look like, im just asking for more clouds variations than what has been shown, even by an option. it should be an experience to see a new day on a planet that can produce beautiful clouds, not "yup those look like some clouds", they have done it with nearly everything else, heck on other planets..

thats all

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

Never thought I would get to a point where I would be arguing with people about clouds in a game about vaporizing frogs, life can be funny. All of the complaints comes from one, maybe two images of an early access game, none of what you see in these images is indicative of the entire cloud system in the game. Besides, the first game didn't have clouds at all, let alone any good atmospheric effects and now that we finally have them were comparing them to mods that hardly anyone can run? I know it comes down to personal opinion at this point but I don't think the clouds in KSP should be realistic at all. The clouds in the first game you could get with mods looked awful in the game, and my computer suffered while rendering them.

This kind of thing is why I don’t identify as a gamer.

I’ll save my whine for any major issues with 1.0, if there are any bad enough to be worth whining over.

37 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm guessing this is the same mindset that led to KSP 1 ending its development with a smattering of conflicting and borderline ugly part textures, with some not even being touched (like the launch clamps). Whether or not they clash matters a significant amount when you're trying to make a competent game that doesn't look ugly.

I'm not arguing that things should be implemented regardless of how they clash/compliment each other. In the aforementioned case of the EVE clouds, they're gorgeous by themselves in a vacuum, clashing aside.

40 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

They are undoubtedly from the same game as the rocket. As for KSP 1 + EVE, the clouds just look out of place. The outlines around the parts in the VAB, the cartoonish clouds and plumes that achieve a good mix of realism and style all fit nicely together and communicate a specific style - realistic clouds as EVE is doing would just throw a wrench in all of that and would look tacky against an otherwise carefully crafted style.

You're right, the style is a lot more unified and that's a good thing. The problem, I'd argue, is that the clouds are too cartoony and that they've become too stylized, not that they should be ultra realistic.

9 minutes ago, Luriss said:
56 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I'm not arguing that things should be implemented regardless of how they clash/compliment each other. In the aforementioned case of the EVE clouds, they're gorgeous by themselves in a vacuum, clashing aside.

But they're being implemented in a game where they do have to exist alongside other graphical elements, and KSP 2's clouds do a much better job of that.

11 minutes ago, Luriss said:
57 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You're right, the style is a lot more unified and that's a good thing. The problem, I'd argue, is that the clouds are too cartoony and that they've become too stylized, not that they should be ultra realistic.

It's still in development. The clouds aren't perfect, never said that, but the basic style shown does a lot more for the game than pure realism like EVE. It's there, all the devs have to do is build variety off the style they've got here.

8 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Anti-aliasing seems better in KSP: the jaggies on the upside down plane are notable.

I mean, Steam uploads these images in .jpg so that might have something to do with it. Might also be the settings they're using to capture with, I don't know. There's quite a few options for why this is the case.

It'd be rather silly if KSP2 managed to somehow regress on the AA side of things, given how easy it is to implement on Unity.

21 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Nope, that's not how jpeg works

I don't know the specifics of how Steam works, or the circumstances of those photos, but you can practically erase aliasing by scaling down an image and then JPG'ing it.

Edited by Missingno200
Added much needed context

1 hour ago, Missingno200 said:

I don't know the specifics of how Steam works, or the circumstances of those photos, but you can practically erase aliasing by scaling down an image and then JPG'ing it.

You are confusing jagged edges and aliasing. Jagged edges are just one of the artifacts of aliasing, and not all of the aliasing artifacts are obfuscated by JPEG compression. Moire patterns, for example, will remain in a scaled JPEG image if they were present in the original.

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

But they're being implemented in a game where they do have to exist alongside other graphical elements, and KSP 2's clouds do a much better job of that.

It's still in development. The clouds aren't perfect, never said that, but the basic style shown does a lot more for the game than pure realism like EVE. It's there, all the devs have to do is build variety off the style they've got here.

Ehh fine. Fair enough.

I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'm pretty interested in the relative ease of making a EVE-styled cloud system for ksp2 vs crawling your way from scratch in ksp 1 as EVE has done. 
I agree with the notion that comparing a mod from ksp 1 and ksp2 itself is disingenuous. Mod authors  sometimes have very specific expertises that are difficult to look for in a regionalised  job posting, allowing for more advanced systems then what the core dev team can produce. What matters more is the ease of modding, which is promised and also remains to be seen. 

1 minute ago, KalleHeHa said:

Awesome exhaust plume expansion at altitude! This looks soo good:o. im hoping its dynamic, and that it doesn't just change instantly at some specific pressure

yU6WT_5JkisMgPsBnbkniE-GcHv7iLzcP1DuJxP63eV7GXOEP-v3Mbxbr6gsPEkknkBF8AEg8YqGrLPAppcBAJ6Hz26nlE58aXPbxBRHiZYmJLymIWA_XG5mzDBZhtQyxvQyfAv0ZQ9ptseYqeLoMbkL0egkcSpFviMVyUyq0WIjJNcEH3L0ZXCqWn30XQ6IIYuSXbomZuWqT3XGXyum5jrj5s4IS5JZ1M4eYk-qYSt7dPS6pWUxENp87oQK1Whjc3mIheyA3JAfW_TJrSDzcbN4_ZvAroHlPLgbdrOYRlh4n_xJUJ-Mn1tFJ7pdRpFbpJ3SinZ7rIZytHeHTAZUTo7YlSPJFihYBlF79wVk268HmzTqCHBb5FD-CpVQ

You can find your answer here:

If a certain person's posts really bother you that much, guys, simply set that person to ignore. But please don't post to tell others what they should or shouldn't say or where they should or shouldn't say it. That just makes the forum a less pleasant place for everyone to visit. 

Some comments removed.