[WIP] O.R.A.N.G.E.S - Stockalike Shuttle-Derived Launch Vehicles! (v1.0.0-beta-2 6/Feb/2023)

EStreetRockets

2 hours ago, Shantaboy said:

Don't be dissuaded, I built the station by running a Stockalike Station Tube through the bottom fuselage connected to a module in the cargo bay. The tube ran through a NF Launch Vehicles tank. Produced the same effect as Station Enterprise. There are plenty of workarounds, half the fun of the game is finding them.

I did make a stock version of Space Station Enterprise. Though the ET was just a fuel tank.

I did consider part clipping for the actual habitation module in the LOX tank (Which was just a 5m-3.75m fuel tank adapter with a 3.75m nose cone).

On 5/18/2023 at 8:55 AM, Falcon Aerospace said:

@Astra Infinitum Any updates on ORANGES Tweakscale?

So Sorry man I been working out of state I'm back now and I will post them this week. I also have a ton I'm supposed to send to lisias to go through to maybe add to companion. If you're intered in any of these let me know also:

Photon Corp,

RocketMotorMenagerie,

Eisenhower astronautics,

Moldavite Machines,

Missing CryoEngine engines,

benjee10's Orion,

benjee10's shared assets,

redirect,

partial benjee10 MMSEV,

Damichels cargo parts,

nebula handrails,

Ziegler mod by estreet,

benjee10 stowaway,

& a few select parts

Tell you what I'll post them on here in a Google drive link when I get home

I'm having an issue with the shuttle C:  When I try to send up a Habtech2 Solar Truss, the Shuttle C wants to nose up despite Mechjeb pushing pitch down all the way. 

Payload and it's weight:

JlKLYt7.png

How the payload is stored:

J3KG16b.png

Center of Mass and Thrust

wtS19IG.png

The boosters are using the Steady Drop 66% config, and the engines are the RM-53E config, though the Cotopaxi Block III config didn't help either.

--------------

Additional Info:  So I put a heavier payload in the shuttle C (9.84 tonnes), and it flew perfectly.  Confusing but now we're getting somewhere.

Edited by MashAndBangers

3 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

I'm having an issue with the shuttle C:  When I try to send up a Habtech2 Solar Truss, the Shuttle C wants to nose up despite Mechjeb pushing pitch down all the way. 

Add some aerodynamic surfaces for stability. Also install RCS Build Aid which helps with balancing RCS (and to a lesser extent, thrust)

1 hour ago, Richmountain112 said:

Where are the Shuttle C parts?

here: https://github.com/EStreetRockets/ORANGES

4 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Payload and it's weight:

JlKLYt7.png

How the payload is stored:

J3KG16b.png

Center of Mass and Thrust

wtS19IG.png

The boosters are using the Steady Drop 66% config, and the engines are the RM-53E config, though the Cotopaxi Block III config didn't help either.

--------------

Additional Info:  So I put a heavier payload in the shuttle C (9.84 tonnes), and it flew perfectly.  Confusing but now we're getting somewhere.

If the probe core on the payload is your rootpart, it should be the problem. Because the payload is upside down and MJ then tries to turn the right side up. Make sure that the shuttle c boattail is the root part so that MJ recognises it correctly.

7 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Because the payload is upside down

I'm not that dumb anymore... most of the time.  But additionally:

4 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

8 minutes ago, Richmountain112 said:

I don't see any Shuttle C parts related to this mod in the VAB. Can't show you now because I'm on vacation.

Download from here https://github.com/EStreetRockets/ORANGES

Back to the issue at hand, looks like the shuttle C bay and/or nose cone don't actually cover things for aerodynamics.  I switched it out for a stock payload fairing and the Solar Truss payload flew straight and true.

27 minutes ago, Richmountain112 said:

And why are the Shuttle-C parts not in the main download?

Would the Coromant Aeronology OMS engines work for the Oranges Shuttle C?

The OMS engines used by benjee10's mods work with the Shuttle-C from this mod. You have to attach the engines backwards on the Shuttle-C, then rotate them to the correct positions. You also need to add fuel tanks with LF and OX to the Shuttle-C because the KJ-10 engines require those to work. If you want to avoid using extra fuel tanks, you can use the same steps to attach the Cormorant Aeronology OMS engines to the Shuttle-C, and those use monopropellant.

On 6/15/2023 at 4:18 PM, MashAndBangers said:

I'm not that dumb anymore... most of the time.  But additionally:

I would also recommend using autostrut, and/or physical struts, and using a probe control point on the Shuttle C rather than the habtech panel - that way, if it starts swaying around inside the fairing, it won't mess up how MechJeb perceives the attitude of your rocket.

39 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

I would also recommend using autostrut, and/or physical struts, and using a probe control point on the Shuttle C rather than the habtech panel - that way, if it starts swaying around inside the fairing, it won't mess up how MechJeb perceives the attitude of your rocket.

On 6/15/2023 at 5:31 PM, MashAndBangers said:

Back to the issue at hand, looks like the shuttle C bay and/or nose cone don't actually cover things for aerodynamics.  I switched it out for a stock payload fairing and the Solar Truss payload flew straight and true.

//====OPTION A====//
//diables boiloff for all parts that have boiloff
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleBdbBoiloff]]:NEEDS[!RealFuels]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleBdbBoiloff]
}

//====OPTION B====//
//disables boiloff for oranges parts that have boiloff
@PART[oranges?*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleBdbBoiloff]]:NEEDS[ORANGES&!RealFuels]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleBdbBoiloff]
}

@TrashleyKat

Made you a config that should do the trick

Copy and paste this into a txt and file and save it to your GameData folder anywhere as a .cfg (not a .txt)

Try it and lemme know if it works

Edited by Astra Infinitum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...