Please revert all vab controls back to ksp1

On 3/21/2023 at 10:43 AM, Bej Kerman said:

No it isn't. The focus button couldn't go anywhere else. Do you suggest having to pan manually between two builds?

I dont think anyone is calling for a removal of the MMB focusing.  Thats a good and helpful feature.  I agree that if you play on a laptop or anticipate the mac port then it would be a concern.   Telling others to just "play with an external mouse" is a bit irksome.  Not everyone has the same space or setup or playing conditions.     VAB or SPH  doesnt matter... current method of panning up or down left or right needs to be a function of the scroll wheel.   Again I would think everyone here in the "it needs to be changed" camp, would be accepting of a CTL + Scroll  or ALT + Scroll or anything + Scroll method, to pan across the vessel.

Not sure who said it, but someone mentioned that 'scrolling to zoom is used everywhere'  or something very similar.  Imagine how annoying it would be if you couldn't scroll up or down this very page with the scroll wheel.  That instead, the scroll wheel zoomed in on the page. aka CTL + Scroll.

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy a new car, you don't expect the  gas pedal to be on the left, the brake on the right and the clutch in the middle. Yes, one can adjust. But for me, after building 500+ contraptions, it feels like sitting in a wheelchair.

And I haven't touched KSP2 in almost a month.

Less and less inclined to do so.

My advice: make it optional, the new vs the old.

4 minutes ago, Azimech said:

If you buy a new car, you don't expect the  gas pedal to be on the left, the brake on the right and the clutch in the middle.

Irrelevant. KSP 2's new editor necessitated a change (a very welcome one) to the editor controls, with the added benefit of unifying the VAB and SPH controls. KSP 1 expecting you to learn two sets of controls was insane and pointless - why not complain about that?

Edited by Bej Kerman

24 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Irrelevant. KSP 2's new editor necessitated a change (a very welcome one) to the editor controls, with the added benefit of unifying the VAB and SPH controls. KSP 1 expecting you to learn two sets of controls was insane and pointless - why not complain about that?

Once the SPH existed, I've built everything in there. The controls are from my point of view superior. Faster building and modifying.

Saying irrelevant is an insult. You don't know my contributions to KSP1.

It's called evolution. A person who learned how to operate a Ford Model T would have trouble in Ford Focus.

With that said, while middle pan is unintuitive for horizontal setting because you still have to move up and down to go forwards and backwards, the middle click to focus is absolute blessing. The rest of the controls are pretty much identical.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Once the SPH existed, I've built everything in there. The controls are from my point of view superior. Faster building and modifying.

The camera is fiddly to get centered on a part and it does not well accommodate vertical rockets. Having controls in KSP 2 that well support structures of any shape is a blessing. That being said, "it's not what I learned" is not a good reason to dislike something. The first thing you said here is a complaint about a metaphorical car that changed the layout of its controls and you never acknowledging that how a car is designed goes beyond "this is what I learned, so it must remain". Aziz said it perfectly: "It's called evolution. A person who learned how to operate a Ford Model T would have trouble in Ford Focus"

The Ford Focus is not worse just because someone who learned the T model would need to learn the Focus model.

Edited by Bej Kerman

On 2/24/2023 at 5:05 PM, Hell_Cat1943 said:

Why would you change the controls of the far more intuitive vab controls from KSP 1 to the absolutely terrible control scheme that is ksp2 assembly anchor and launch assembly. The core controls was nearly perfect but you just had to completely rework what was already a very good system. I am not the only one that is very annoyed with the constantly buggy and unintuitive vab controls.

An option for "legacy" controls would be nice! :)

1 minute ago, Sea_Kerman said:

Thing is it doesn't actually have local controls

Yes. It's busted. But the point is that the devs didn't forget or neglected to add it and that Nuggzy didn't check to see if KSP 2 had local controls before complaining about it.

On 3/20/2023 at 2:31 AM, DaveLChgo said:

How about shift + scroll   or  alt + scroll  or  ctl + scroll   to be used for panning instead of zoom.

I really like the new editor but yes we need this, it's a small addition (that doesn't break anything) but it will make people happy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, The Aziz said:

It's called evolution. A person who learned how to operate a Ford Model T would have trouble in Ford Focus.

With that said, while middle pan is unintuitive for horizontal setting because you still have to move up and down to go forwards and backwards, the middle click to focus is absolute blessing. The rest of the controls are pretty much identical.

That's what they called the Edsel.

15 hours ago, EvelynThe Dragon said:
On 2/25/2023 at 1:56 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

What about them is bad? I get it takes a bit of getting used to but for instance I like that middle click and drag moves up and down. 

I DESPISE that.

The real amazing thing about KSP 2's VAB is being able to center the camera on a specific part. It's how I choose to move up and down a vessel - it doesn't take a lot of cursor movement to get everything above or below your camera in view and click the bit you want to edit. It's very convenient in single-vessel workspaces and necessary in multi-vehicle workspaces. Trying to get the KSP 1 camera to orbit around a very specific point was tedious, and that's gone now. Using MMB+drag to go up and down is an odd example cause the MMB wasn't really designed for that.

Please don't revert bask to the way things were in KSP1.  I like the direction things are going in, in KSP2.

I was actually in KSP1 to check a few differences between the two games earlier today.  I found the old VAB to be clunky and awkward.

• 4 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 4:25 PM, Azimech said:

Saying irrelevant is an insult. You don't know my contributions to KSP1.

Woah! What did you do?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.