Kerbal Space Program 2 (not dying and getting a new owner) Hype Train.

AtomicTech

Just now, AtomicTech said:

Holy crap, WHAT!?

Company Location Layoff Start Date # of Workers Closure Layoff Type of Layoff Received Date
Take- Two Interactive Software, Inc. Seattle 6/28/2024 70 Closure Permanent 4/29/2024

Welcome to the ("tentative") pity-party [it started late-ish evening (North America) 30-April]

8 minutes ago, calabus2 said:

I'm at work and can't access Steam, but I also understand the they have turned off reviews/comments on there for KSP2 as well.

Well that’s false. Just tested. 

Lots of rumors atm, seems at least two of them aren’t true 

1 hour ago, Aviator01 said:

The hype train has most likely experienced a catastrophic derailment.

4 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

This is the opposite of hype train. Doomsay all you want in related thread(s) cuz there are already 3 about the same thing lol.

Trains have been known to derail... so not necessarily off-topic

A [Take-Two] spokesperson did, however, explain that its Private Division publishing label will continue to support Kerbal Space Program 2.

Ummm... how does that work "without devs / a studio"?

5 minutes ago, HomingPigeon said:

I read the article.  It says only that the publisher will continue to support KSP2, and nothing about the future of Intercept Games OR the IP itself.  Supporting does not mean continuing to develop, especially if all of IG is being laid off.  Who exactly in the company do you think is going to take over development of a game they probably have no experience in?

Posted (edited)

[snip]
Can you ignore or block at this place?
----

There is a difference between support and development of new features.  If the new studio or publisher decides to go into BAU development and not work on new features or bugs, then yes, the game would be dead and gone.  

However, my point was this article is the only source that has mentioned a confirmed source and the publisher, and that it offers new details into their plan.

Edited by Vanamonde

Just now, HomingPigeon said:

Can you ignore or block at this place?

I think I'm about to find out if that's possible... thanks for the motivation

2 minutes ago, moeggz said:

Sometimes I wish the forums had a dislike button 

I talked with the mods about it a long time ago and they said it would bring a lot of toxicity to a forum that hadn't gotten like the others.

It’s a double edged sword. I’m ok with some platforms having it and some not. There’s pros and cons to both sides. You get more hive mind but straight up rude comments are just auto buried.

2 minutes ago, moeggz said:

It’s a double edged sword. I’m ok with some platforms having it and some not. There’s pros and cons to both sides. You get more hive mind but straight up rude comments are just auto buried.

A dislike button would be nice.  I like it on Reddit as it, like you said, buries rude comments.  Thankfully, in its absence, we have the REPORT function.

2 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

A dislike button would be nice.  I like it on Reddit as it, like you said, buries rude comments.  Thankfully, in its absence, we have the REPORT function.

Good call :grin:

23 minutes ago, HomingPigeon said:

There is a difference between support and development of new features.

You are absolutely correct.  And the article stated that PD will continue to support the game.  It said nothing of development, which includes updates, milestone features, and finishing of the product up to 1.0.  Support generally means that they will provide help to those who need it, but not to the extent that patches and such will be released.

Truth be told, we have zero idea what the article truly means other than taking it at face value:  70 employees are getting the axe, a Seattle office is being shut down, and TT has stated PD will continue to provide support.  And, as I stated earlier, PD is the publisher, not the developer.  So take that however you want it.