What types of features do you want in the interstellar update and how many stars and planets do we want?

if you want to discuss whether or not we should have more binary and trinary star systems with different color's...

what do you think of the Anomalies in KSP 2. do they mean something?

what ideas of the engine types do you want to see in future KSP 2  updates?

Well according to the AMA 3 systems are planned:

We've committed to three star systems leading up to 1.0. I'd love to add more circumstances permitting. That's not an official plan, but that's what I personally want.

I don't know if that means 3 including Kerbol or Kerbol plus 3 more because of how its worded.

I imagine we'll see similar systems like our own local group, maybe the more well know stars:

• Alpha Centauri
  • Sirius
  • Barnard's Star

So I expect something like:

• Binary system (red and sun like)
  • Blue/white star
  • Red dwarf or young system

As for planets, I imagine we'll see 2 systems similar to Kerbol and 1 smaller (if there are 3 more)

We know about Deb-deb, but we also have Qeg and Tuun, according the other wiki and datamined data:

Qeg:

The system moves in a lemniscate (similar to a figure-eight) style configuration with a radius of 2.1 units. The system is offset by 7.0 X axis and 5.0 Z axis units from Kerbol, making it the most distant of the other star systems, and roughly analogous in position to Sirius.

Tuun:

The system moves in a figure-eight style configuration with a radius of 0.2 units. The system is offset by 3.6 X axis and 1.1 Z axis units from Kerbol, making it the second closest of the other star systems, and roughly analogous in position to Barnard's Star.

As for planets, I expect 2 systems to have similar numbers to Kerbol (6-8) and one smaller (3-4) not including moons

I predict Deb-Deb to have 8 planets
Qeg to have 6 planets
and Tuun to have 3 planets

Edited by Tazooka
Added more, wiki quotes & planets

I like the idea of three. Perhaps oddly, I don't want a massive unending set of options.  I like games like Subnautica that have a large amount to explore, but where, at some point, I feel I can achieve visiting most of it. 

I would also rather they do less and do it better.  I'd rather the time and resources go to improving terrain, creating unique features and/or improving other parts of the game.

Modders can always add new planets and systems.

I would really like to see exotic and different planetary systems! Like a white dwarf, a black hole, a neutron star, a close-orbiting binary, a blue giant, or a red giant! Or a very young system with an accretion disk! Something with a nebula! There’s just so much exciting stuff out there, even if a lot of those places won’t be habitable.

One thing that certainly won’t be there because it’s too far — but maybe a total conversion mod could do — is a globular cluster. There would be so many stars in the sky, and they’d be comparatively close!

I really want to see some creative space drives so we can get several different sort of experiences with interstellar travel. I'm not even remotely interested in the Orion or Medusa drive, they should go more gonzo with a nuclear or lithium salt water rocket. I'd also like to see some lithium or plasma Z-pinch fusion, fission fragment, and beam-core antimatter stuff, possibly even  with matter conversion as the endgame. There should be Valkyrie-style droplet radiators for late game and simple blocks of ice for early game debris shields, laser arrays for debris clearance, and magnetic fields for braking. What I would love to see and am not at all likely to get is mass laser arrays for propulsion out of a system and laser stations around stars along a route, allowing a cycler system to be set up between stars. I don't know what it would really be used for but it would be cool.

I know we're getting three star systems, which is fine, especially if they each give us a unique habitable planet to explore and fly on. I expect to see more in DLCs after the game matures.

Edited by regex

17 hours ago, Periple said:

I would really like to see exotic and different planetary systems! Like a white dwarf, a black hole, a neutron star, a close-orbiting binary, a blue giant, or a red giant! Or a very young system with an accretion disk! Something with a nebula! There’s just so much exciting stuff out there, even if a lot of those places won’t be habitable.

One thing that certainly won’t be there because it’s too far — but maybe a total conversion mod could do — is a globular cluster. There would be so many stars in the sky, and they’d be comparatively close!

How about a system with a planetary nebula? In the center, the core of a dying giant star (what will become a white dwarf) and the nebula surrounding the entire system. It would be an extreme environment however: lots of radiation, any surviving planets should be in wider than normal orbits because the star lost a lot of its mass and their atmospheres might have been blasted off by all the stellar wind.

Bonus: If close enough for Kerbals to visit within a "reasonable" time with interstellar drives, the planetary nebula might be large enough to be visible from all the other systems in the game; they're typically 1 light year across!

Edited by Lyneira
Add bonus

On 3/30/2023 at 11:45 AM, Periple said:

The infinite discoveries mod for KSP is just like that. It is an incredible mod, even if it is really resource intensive!

I always thought KSP2 would have a similar feature, but obviously, such a thing didn't come to be. I even posted about it on the pre-launch archived KSP2 forum section a couple years ago. I got laughed at   :D

On 4/1/2023 at 4:54 AM, Dantheollie said:

The infinite discoveries mod for KSP is just like that. It is an incredible mod, even if it is really resource intensive!

I always thought KSP2 would have a similar feature, but obviously, such a thing didn't come to be. I even posted about it on the pre-launch archived KSP2 forum section a couple years ago. I got laughed at   :D

no one is laughing at you here.

Five to ten stars would probably be a good final number for vanilla.

Wishlist:

• Sol analog (Debdeb?)
  • Protoplanetary disk/nebula
  • Binary star
  • Black hole with an alien station waaaay deep in the gravity well
  • Neutron star
  • Blue giant
  • Brown dwarf
  • A secret iron star

48 minutes ago, Xheotris said:

• A secret iron star

Unfortunately, these things aren't scheduled to appear in the universe for a very, very, very, very long time. And that's assuming that a very specific type of particle doesn't decay! ;)

A black hole system would be cool. It would be interesting to see how the development team tackled gravity and that aforementioned, very, very, inhospitable environment for any satellite

1 hour ago, Dantheollie said:

Unfortunately, these things aren't scheduled to appear in the universe for a very, very, very, very long time. And that's assuming that a very specific type of particle doesn't decay! ;)

A black hole system would be cool. It would be interesting to see how the development team tackled gravity and that aforementioned, very, very, inhospitable environment for any satellite

Let's call it even then and get a Quasar!

3 hours ago, Dantheollie said:

Unfortunately, these things aren't scheduled to appear in the universe for a very, very, very, very long time.

Well, of course they aren't scheduled to appear yet! That's why it's showing up in secret. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.