when will KSP 2 have support for low end pc graphic cards like intel types... and the price is absurdly high for me.

zemiel123

I remember that a long time ago I launched KSP 0.90 on my parents' computer, where there was only integrated video, since this computer is needed only for the Internet. And surprisingly, I got high and smooth 40-60 fps for craft with hundred parts. A year later, I tried to run 1.0.5 on the same computer, and it turned out to be very difficult, the fps dropped to 8-15 at the minimum settings. Now probably there will be 3-5 fps for a small craft. So I think that with the addition of new levels of the game, on the contrary, the system requirements will increase. Like our desire to get the most out of the game, it will only load the computer more.

the reason why KSP 1 was so successful is because there were more people happy than sad with the game but now i am seeing the opposite in KSP 2.  the whole thing rests in balance because people like KSP 1 so much and are interested in KSP 2 future updates. without the roadmap, the whole game would become very unpopular

52 minutes ago, regex said:

The sooner you start, the sooner it ends. :)

you are right in many ways

Edited by zemiel123
to clarify sentence more clearly

3 hours ago, zemiel123 said:

the reason why KSP 1 was so successful is because there were more people happy than sad with the game but now i am seeing the opposite in KSP 2.  the whole thing rests in balance because people like KSP 1 so much and are interested in KSP 2 future updates. without the roadmap, the whole game would become very unpopular

you are right in many ways

Look at it this way: KSP four months into its development was barely a demo, with a fraction of the features to come, buggy, ugly, and only hinting at its brilliant future.  It did not have a lot of players, and no real roadmap, being developed by a small marketing agency.  It took years of development to turn it into the game we love.

KSP2 EA four months in has been rebuilt to make it a stable foundation for a bigger, better, game with much more ambitious scope, being built to a defined roadmap by a much larger more professional studio.  It is vastly superior to KSP at the same age, and will mature a lot faster.

Look at it in two years and tell us if you feel the same way.

7 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

It did not have a lot of players

Thats not true in comparison with KSP2. A couple of years after the start of development, thousands of players played in KSP1, KSP2 has been in development for 6 years and what? At the very beginning, KSP was loved for that reckless style when something crazy, destructive and funny happened. No one claimed anything serious, no one demanded anything significant from the developers. KSP2 takes a different path, it's a more serious game, that's why the players are asking seriously.

Measuring from start of development is actually a great way of highlighting the point I make: KSP was just kitbashed together as an unplanned short term hobby project by one guy based on fond childhood memories of launching little tinfoil men on fireworks.

It also highlights the differences between the projects nicely.  KSP a few months after development started was ready to go because of lack of planning and long term vision.  It didn’t even have the Mün IIRC.

It’s hard to measure, since we can’t know when the actual work really started, but KSP2 couldn’t be played a couple of months after development because it was being carefully planned as a long term major property with a plan with literally interstellar scale that’s going to give us other star systems, multiplayer, and give us a version of the game with the unrealized potential of the first.

And odds are it’s going to get there a lot quicker than KSP took to complete development, given that it’s being developed by professionals as opposed to basically hobbyists.

So why so serious about its future?

46 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

So why so serious about its future?

Because History, unfortunately, doesn't rewards Planning, but Results.

Boeing completely screwed up Starliner, besides having years of planning and "careful" execution (and a hell of a budget). SpaceX hacked and slashed their way into the problem with Dragon and nailed it, with a incredibly smaller budget and timeframe.

SLS finally took over, but after decades and billions and billions of over budget. And they are still years behind schedule.

It's possible to go Full Cascade and still get good results, but historically this development model failed more than succeeded because… Humans. People lie, people hide, people pretend - you only need one bad apple on a basket of good apples to lose them all.

(and I'm kindly ignoring that people made honest mistakes all the time, some of them ruining the planning and scheduling - but, yet, most Companies just fail on admitting failure early on the Cascade's process, what would allow them to rework all the Planning and preventing getting stuck in development hell later, when it's finally impossible to hide that fatal failure).

Edited by Lisias
Hit Save too soon.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Because History, unfortunately, doesn't rewards Planning, but Results.

Boeing completely screwed up Starliner, besides having years of planning and "careful" execution (and a hell of a bug budget). SpaceX hacked and slashed their way into the problem with Dragon and nailed it, with a incredibly smaller budget and time.

SLS finally took over, but after decades and billions and billions of over budget. And they are still years behind schedule.

It's possible to go Full Cascade and still get good results, but historically this development model failed more than succeeded because… Humans. People lie, people hide, people pretend - you only need one bad apple on a good basket of apples to lose them all.

(and I'm kindly ignoring that people made honest mistakes all the time, some of them ruining the planning and scheduling - but, yet, most Companies just fail on admitting failure early on the Cascade's process, what would allow them to rework all the Planning and preventing getting stuck in development hell later, when it's finally impossible to hide that fatal failure).

Fair enough.  I work in an engineering-intensive highly regulated field.  I’ve seen projects go long, over-budget, and sometimes fail.  I’ve also seen them succeed, more often than not.  At this point, the overheated forum speculation and prognostications of doom or ultimate success are basically worthless.  They give us far better insight into the psychology and characters of the people making them than they do the future of the game.

The most and only credible sources on the forums are the devs.  Having heard some absolute [redacted] from project teams before, it is possible that they’re blowing smoke.  However, what they are doing is consistent which what one would expect from a project in early EA: systematically squashing bugs, optimizing, and building out the roadmap, all according to plan.  Which is what we all should have expected instead of throwing tantrums.  We’ll get a progress upNate today, and a patch next week.   We’ll see how they’re doing.

As a sidebar, would I have been happier if Elon had bought Take Two instead of Twitter?  Hell yes, although I wish he’d stick to rockets and electric cars and throwing his personal electric cars at Mars with his personal giant rockets, and selling people flamethrowers.  Wish I’d bought one while they were on sale. 

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

19 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

At this point, the overheated forum speculation and prognostications of doom or ultimate success are basically worthless.

You are forgetting a significantly relevant factor: recently, TT2 fired a lot of people from P.D. and some subsidiaries, most of them management. These people are not happy, and you can bet your mouse that some of them have a grudge about the ordeal and acquired a personal (and professional) interest on the failure of this project.

The gaming industry is not exactly above F.U.D., Astroturfing and similar scumbag's practices. I find some criticisms around here way harsher from what it would be reasonable even from disgruntled and vindictive users. Sometimes I wonder if there would be not some big Company interested on devaluating P.D. or even TT2 in order to try an hostile takeover, as Microsoft did on Nokia years ago (where is Stephen Elop nowadays?).

But… This is all speculation from my part. ;) 

14 minutes ago, Lisias said:

You are forgetting a significantly relevant factor: recently, TT2 fired a lot of people from P.D. and some subsidiaries, most of them management. These people are not happy, and you can bet your mouse that some of them have a grudge about the ordeal and acquired a personal (and professional) interest on the failure of this project.

The gaming industry is not exactly above F.U.D., Astroturfing and similar scumbag's practices. I find some criticisms around here way harsher from what it would be reasonable even from disgruntled and vindictive users. Sometimes I wonder if there would be not some big Company interested on devaluating P.D. or even TT2 in order to try an hostile takeover, as Microsoft did on Nokia years ago (where is Stephen Elop nowadays?).

But… This is all speculation from my part. ;) 

That’s some very entertaining speculation on your part though.  I’m not going to go about accusing the more toxic naysayers of being bitter disgruntled former IG employees who were fired for poor performance, but it is a funny thought.

2 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

That’s some very entertaining speculation on your part though.  I’m not going to go about accusing the more toxic naysayers of being bitter disgruntled former IG employees who were fired for poor performance, but it is a funny thought.

Only "amateurs" get their hands dirty. Professional ones seed the discord to be spread by ingenuous people. A Person is inteliggent, People are dumb!

But, and again, pure expeculation. I have no evidence of such practices - but, hey, such practices leave no evidences! :sticktongue:

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

We don’t know the number of people that has been impacted by these layoffs (at least from the articles I found) but we know it wasn’t just at private division. Saying it’s due to ksp2 launch is just speculation. Especially when Intercept games is still growing.

Edited by Spicat

4 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

he most and only credible sources on the forums are the devs.

The only thing you can trust is the technical condition of the game. The developers are obviously a stakeholder. For example, I have very big doubts that they play KSP2 after work, as Nate said more than once. In the end, we are here only because of the game, if the game becomes good, then the STs can at least dance the lambada with the whole office for 10 hours a day, and if the game continues to be in a deplorable state, then no words will help. I know one indie project where the main scriptwriter openly trolls and insults some fans on the forum, constantly quarrels with someone, but his game is beyond praise, everyone forgives him for such behavior.

2 hours ago, Alexoff said:

The only thing you can trust is the technical condition of the game. The developers are obviously a stakeholder. For example, I have very big doubts that they play KSP2 after work, as Nate said more than once. In the end, we are here only because of the game, if the game becomes good, then the STs can at least dance the lambada with the whole office for 10 hours a day, and if the game continues to be in a deplorable state, then no words will help. I know one indie project where the main scriptwriter openly trolls and insults some fans on the forum, constantly quarrels with someone, but his game is beyond praise, everyone forgives him for such behavior.

As I say, we have the EA that we’ve got.  But given that the devs have inside knowledge, and we do not, they’re still more credible sources than we are.

I actually really like the idea of Nate telling somebody complaining about how their Kraken lure is wobbly to git gud.  That’d be hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

As I say, we have the EA that we’ve got.  But given that the devs have inside knowledge, and we do not, they’re still more credible sources than we are.

And we can interpret other sources, including the words of the developers.

22 minutes ago, Pat20999 said:

You know it’s 50 bux not 77 bux.

Welcome to the global marketplace.

It's 50 bucks where you (and I) live. It's more ($77 for example) elsewhere, and less in even other places.

Edited by Superfluous J

1 hour ago, Alexoff said:

And we can interpret other sources, including the words of the developers.

There’s a spectrum between literal interpretation and strapping JATO uni… wait, this is KSP, Separatrons to one’s ass in order to make the leap necessary to arrive at one’s desired conclusion, and that spectrum is fairly broad :).

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

It's 50 bucks where you (and I) live. It's more ($77 for example) elsewhere, and less in even other places.

Actually I pay with the euro not the dollar and it’s both 50 bux if the difference is too big they will make it equal to your currency.

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

It probably doesn’t cost "more", but it is just converted to the currency, I doubt it’s $ as in american dollars, from the look of it, it’s probably australian dollars, that cost less ($50 USD is A$ 73)

On 6/17/2023 at 9:07 AM, Spicat said:

It probably doesn’t cost "more", but it is just converted to the currency, I doubt it’s $ as in american dollars, from the look of it, it’s probably australian dollars, that cost less ($50 USD is A$ 73)

yes, you are right. it's AUD

Edited by zemiel123

Considering the whole last page isn’t about the OP anymore, the OP’s question has been answered, and we’re just rehashing the same arguments again, we can safely lock this thread.