KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

17 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I honestly cannot tell if you're being serious or facetious.  Either way...

Yes, he's being sarcastic.

And to not deviate from the subject again:

It's just vacation time, maybe they have just been doing bug fixing and they have nothing more to share, we still have the bug update status which is a nice addition in my opinion (Some people don't like Nate talk so maybe they're happy about that?)

16 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I honestly cannot tell if you're being serious or facetious

Poe's Law in action! :D

16 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

but when can we get an AMA with an actual coder? 

I have a suspicion that this is not possible, since the real coders have left the company. It’s just that Nate’s stories about how they spend several months looking for the cause of the bug prompt such thoughts. A lot of developers have come recently, maybe now someone new is trying to deal with the horror that their predecessors have done

35 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

the real coders have left the company

35 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

now someone new is trying to deal with the horror that their predecessors have done

uhm... if real coders are the ones capable of making things work, how did they created a mess for newcomers to solve? 

Edited by cocoscacao

30 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

I have a suspicion that this is not possible, since the real coders have left the company.

What do you mean there aren't any real coders? There are still a lot of software engineers to make an AMA from. You're just spreading misinformation.

Edited by Spicat

27 minutes ago, Spicat said:

What do you mean there aren't any real coders?

I'm talking about those who created the core of the game.

49 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

if real coders are the ones capable of making things work, how did they created a mess for newcomers to solve? 

That's why they became ex-coders

It is curious that no one else had any objections to what I wrote earlier.

2 hours ago, Alexoff said:

That's why they became ex-coders

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic... My assumption is that by "real coder" you meant someone who is capable to deliver relatively bug-free game. And yet, they've created a mess and left. So how's that a "real coder"?

4 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic... My assumption is that by "real coder" you meant someone who is capable to deliver relatively bug-free game. And yet, they've created a mess and left. So how's that a "real coder"?

The real coders are the people who wrote the core of the game with all the many bugs. Weren't they led by a previously fired CTO? And now fire coders are working, what can we ask them? They are most likely shocked by the game code and would like to unsee it.

34 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

The real coders are the people who wrote the core of the game with all the many bugs

Ah, so my assumption was wrong.

Assuming (again) that what you wrote is true, then there's no point in criticizing current devs for making slow updates. Actually, if this thing needs another year for a re-write, if that's the best long term approach, I'm all in for it.

56 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

The real coders are the people who wrote the core of the game with all the many bugs. Weren't they led by a previously fired CTO? And now fire coders are working, what can we ask them? They are most likely shocked by the game code and would like to unsee it.

Don't you mean "original coders" or "people who were there at Star Theory"? Because I think people who came after are also real coders.

But besides me ranting about semantics and assumptions you make on the code, the subject was about the AMAs.

The last AMA was from Kristina Ness which join the company one year ago and it was pretty interesting. I have no doubt that engineers (even people that came recently) have a lot to tell. I mean by this time, they have learned what other people do or did, so they can answer things that they didn't code themselves directly. Even Mortoc who came a little before release seems like a very interesting guy. I don't know about you, but personally I have a lot of questions to ask them.

I would also like plenty of dev diaries, even small features like orbital tesselation are so much interesting (maybe it's just me, I also liked the GDC talk).

Edited by Spicat

42 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

Probably why there's no engineering AMA.  Concerns about too much being told.

Or because there weren't enough AMAs to cover every position thus far? Even so, if/when that happens, I bet many won't be satisfied with chosen questions and answers... Thank God I don't have to work with people anymore :D

Edited by cocoscacao

1 hour ago, RocketRockington said:

And what questions will be left for engineers? Based on previous interviews, we learn that the engineer came half a year ago, that he/she is in a good mood today, that he/she is very proud of the work done, that he/she masterfully increased productivity in the main menu, or something like that.

On 7/17/2023 at 5:24 PM, Alexoff said:

Perhaps Nate is tired of reading the indignation and whining on the forum under each of his posts. You can't please these fans! Patches are released every two months - not enough, hotfixes every two weeks - not enough again! You show the fans the animation from the editor, and they say - where is the science? You give a discount of 10 bucks on the game - again they don't like it! We've been waiting for early access for three years, so why not wait five years more, and only then judge the game?!

Can’t say that I’d blame the guy, and he sure as [expletive deleted] isn’t the only one.  At least the indignation and whining is getting funnier lately.

16 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Ah, so my assumption was wrong.

Assuming (again) that what you wrote is true, then there's no point in criticizing current devs for making slow updates. Actually, if this thing needs another year for a re-write, if that's the best long term approach, I'm all in for it.

The glass that is half full meets the “GLASS THAT’S EMPTY AND THE WATER TASTES AWFUL [endless repetitions redacted for brevity]!!!!”.  And comes out looking the more realistic.

5 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

The glass that is half full

How much do you think the game is ready? Not in the sense of those secret test multiplayers, but what can you buy now? Do we already have half of the final game?

11 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

They select their questions beforehand so this concern is irrelevant.

9 hours ago, Alexoff said:

And what questions will be left for engineers? Based on previous interviews, we learn that the engineer came half a year ago, that he/she is in a good mood today, that he/she is very proud of the work done, that he/she masterfully increased productivity in the main menu, or something like that.

That's not because you have no questions that everyone is like you. The person who asked for an engineer AMA probably has a lot of questions in mind.

Quickly I can ask a few questions already:

- Are there current new system that you implemented that we aren't seeing the full extent yet?

- How did you solve the floating point problem and how would that work in multiplayer?

- What new capabilities will offer the new terrain system and are there good progress on it?

- Have you changed some of the work methodology since release? What's the process when implementing a new feature?

- Do you do both features and bugs fixing? If yes, how do you split your work between both of them?

You can extrapolate from there on how many new (and probably more interesting) questions I(and especially other people) will have when they will announce an AMA with an engineer, and even more when we learn who.

Edited by Spicat

5 hours ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Can’t say that I’d blame the guy, and he sure as [expletive deleted] isn’t the only one.  At least the indignation and whining is getting funnier lately.

Shame the toxic positivity is as humourless and repetitive as it's ever been, though it's less frequent as more people have realized the dumpster fire is not getting put out anytime soon!

48 minutes ago, Spicat said:

That's not because you have no questions that everyone is like you.

Is this some kind of insult? I have a lot of questions, but judging by the latest AMA, a lot of weird and simple questions remains, and many questions get very evasive answers. Or "thanks, to the forum!"

Are there current new system that you implemented that we aren't seeing the full extent yet?

Of course! I work with the colonies! Next question!

- How did you solve the floating point problem and how would that work in multiplayer?

We solved this problem brilliantly! :D Paul Furio talked about it in 2020

What new capabilities will offer the new terrain system and are there good progress on it?

We have good progress (as Nate recently said about science), it will improve the quality and performance

Have you changed some of the work methodology since release?

We began to pay more attention to what the community cares about.

What's the process when implementing a new feature?

First, we are offered to introduce a new feature into the game, then we discuss at a round table with other engineers how best to add it, and then we successfully add it!

Do you do both features and bugs fixing? If yes, how do you split your work between both of them?

We divided bugs and features among ourselves, and after that I choose one of the bugs, find out its cause, fix it, then choose one of my features and add it to the game. This allows you to switch between duties of different types and get less tired. Of course, to solve problems, I turn to other members of our friendly team, and we hardly interfere with each other!

I don't understand why we need the AMA so much. They hardly show us anything new, maybe a couple of screenshots. This is not a laboratory seminar where the collective mind helps employees find a solution, we are simply told t"dont worry, work on the game continues". And we can see how the work continues on the patches.

P.S. - Can I get a job as a speechwriter for PD? I won’t ask for a lot of money, and I’ll definitely be able to find words for the fans no worse than Nate...

Edited by Alexoff

5 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Is this some kind of insult? I have a lot of questions, but judging by the latest AMA, a lot of weird and simple questions remains, and many questions get very evasive answers. Or "thanks, to the forum!"

Of course! I work with the colonies! Next question!

We solved this problem brilliantly! :D Paul Furio talked about it in 2020

We have good progress (as Nate recently said about science), it will improve the quality and performance

We began to pay more attention to what the community cares about.

First, we are offered to introduce a new feature into the game, then we discuss at a round table with other engineers how best to add it, and then we successfully add it!

We divided bugs and features among ourselves, and after that I choose one of the bugs, find out its cause, fix it, then choose one of my features and add it to the game. This allows you to switch between duties of different types and get less tired. Of course, to solve problems, I turn to other members of our friendly team, and we hardly interfere with each other!

I don't understand why we need the AMA so much. They hardly show us anything new, maybe a couple of screenshots. This is not a laboratory seminar where the collective mind helps employees find a solution, we are simply told t"dont worry, work on the game continues". And we can see how the work continues on the patches.

P.S. - Can I get a job as a speechwriter for PD? I won’t ask for a lot of money, and I’ll definitely be able to find words for the fans no worse than Nate...

I don't care about your answers (which are honestly very different from the answers we get but you do you I guess), if you don't like AMAs, kindly skip them, but let people that find value into those appreciate and ask about them, (and there are a lot). Thanks.