RCS ports not working properly around heatshield/decoupler or part fairings

Kersifal

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Famille 10.0.22621 64 bits | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics (12) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU (6009MB) | RAM16236

Only a part of the rcs work on my craft although they are in the same position. This bug has not reappeared in another save with the same craft.

Included Attachments:

onlyapartofthercswork_logs.zip

Anth Edit:
Looks like its the shroud of the heat shield is partially blocking the RCS that are connected to the decoupler.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Be in the VAB with nothing in it
  2. Grab a M1-3 Gumball
  3. Below attach a heat shield of the same diameter
  4. Below attach a decoupler of the same diameter
  5. Attach 4 RV-105 RCS ports to the decoupler down slightly from the middle of it
  6. Below attach a X200-8 tank to the bottom
  7. Launch
  8. Turn off SAS
  9. Turn on RCS
  10. Use Q or E to use roll

Note:
Only 2 of the RV-105 RCS ports are working.

Video Evidence:

Edited by Spicat

20 answers to this question

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P 2.10 GHz | GPU: Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics | RAM16.0 GB

For situations like pod-heatshield-decoupler, if attach RCS ports to the decoupler, only several of them works( in special directions ), while the others appear to be broken.

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i7 9750H | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 | RAM16 GB

Please unarchive this report, I had the same bug:

I managed to reproduce some case of this bug, I think it is particulary related to engine plates

I built vessel with some RCS on engine plate. When I tried to control RCS, only rcs engines which was on engine plate didn't work. I saved game and loaded this new save. And these back RCS started working. You can see process in attached video
How to reproduce bug with my attached craft:

1. Fly it to orbit
  2. Try to thrust these back rcs engine and see that they don't do anything
  3. Save game and load this save
  4. Try to thrust these engines again

I'm sure that this bug correlates with cases when rcs engines are on engine plates, because I had same problems with other crafts with rcs on engine plate in previous ksp2 versions
How to reproduce this bug on another craft

1. Build craft with any RCS on engine plate
  2. Fly it to orbit
  3. Try to thrust engine plate RCS
  4. Save and reload
  5. Try to thrust engine plate RCS again

Included Attachments:

Engineplatercsdontwork.mp4

Tanker-H2-A.json

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel Core i7 9750H | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 | RAM16 GB

I also had this bug several times. I attached video, explanatory picture and craft file where I reproduced it. You can see in video that some pairs of RCS don't work with any directions of rotation. In the picture I painted certain RCS which doesn't work. To reproduce this youu can launch attached craft to LKO, turn on RCS and watch what RCS don't work

Included Attachments:

SetsofRCSdontworkedit.png.831a1499671ca9683928aede19989d4d.png

SomeRCSsetsdontwork.mp4

ManyRCS.json

Edited by Spicat

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: Community Fixes, Micro-Engineer, Flight Plan, MapView Focus and Targeting, Maneuver Node Controller | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 Core | GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM32 GB

Built a craft and flew to LKO.  Turned RCS on, and some of the RCS thrusters are working...but some are not.  The RCS thrusters that are working are connected to their own individual small-sized RCS tanks, while the ones that are not firing are connected to a singular medium-sized RCS tank.  Some of the ones not firing are connected DIRECTLY to the medium-sized tank, so you'd think they would fire.  Not only is this an issue with the RCS thrusters not firing, but it is causing the bottom thrusters to fire and make the ship spin out of control.

I know there is a report out here for RCS not working; I cannot find it, so if the bug hunters can, please merge this report with that one.

Included Attachments:

Ksp22023_11.06-10_51_41_01.mp4

MunMark-II.json

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i7-12700K | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT | RAM32GB

I built a rocket with a set of 4 RCS (RV-105) and for some reason 2 of those RCS parts on one half of the vessel are permanently disabled. Did some testing and it only happens when the parts are installed on the 45 degree points along the longitudinal axis. If I install them on the 90 degree points they work fine.

Edited by DibzNr
edited title

I'm also running into this bug, frequently. I've gotten to the point of just launching and testing them on the launchpad, except even after I've verified they work, trying to rendezvous after landing on another planet I discover half of them again don't work.

Several missions. Agreed that the 45 degree angle seems to be problematic, but I've had two on the 90 degree not work. Both when attaching them via symmetry and also when placing them individually

I feel like this is adjacent to the parachutes not working bug (radial parachutes just will not work half of the time. Hit deploy and nothing happens). Like RCS, I've started testing them on the launchpad, and again, like RCS, they're still broken when returning at the end of the mission.

Easily two of the more frustrating bugs I've encountered. It's infuriating to spend 2 hours on going to Bop and Pol or something and then the ship's just like "yeah, nice mission you got here, NOPE"

Edited by adaniel87

I've discovered that as long as I make sure to Revert to Launch before actually taking off (so in the VAB, click Launch, then once it loads onto the pad, Escape and Revert to Launch), I haven't had any issue at all with RCS ports, parachutes, or lights not functioning. Before having that troubleshooting idea, it seemed like it was 50/50 with ships having some broken RCS ports, parachutes, or lights. I remember reading that there was some sort of known issue with the Science update with ships sometimes not loading into the launchpad properly but being fixed with a revert to launch.

See screenshot, RCS thrusters placed near to a heat shield do not operate at all.

Progressively fewer of a circle of thrusters will operate the closer the circle is to the heat shield. Progressively more operate the further away it is.

See attached screeny of size S set up, where there are four circles of 4x thrusters, the RCS is firing in response to two translation keys being pressed, in my case using IJKL translation keys J & K are pressed ... the row of thrusters on the right shows two thrusters firing but the row on the left shows three.

This is because the second circle of thrusters is firing fewer thrusters than the third circle.  Ideally all the thrusters should be firing in each active row.

See screeny below of size MD, where several circles of 8 thrusters are showing differences in thruster activation related to distance from heatshield, pressing K.

This happens with thrusters in proximity to all heat shield sizes XS S MD LG XL. The extent of the effect appears related to the dimensions of the heat shield.

This affects all RCS thruster types but is most pronounced with the Place-Anywhere-7 Linears RCS Port, less pronounced with the block or vernier. 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Included Attachments:

20240119155645_1.jpg.6497fa7944db785362f2ff2c482fdcd2.jpg

Edited by DibzNr

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Using a Structural Tube to cover part of a vessel during assent. The Tube itself is ditched while staging. RCS thrusters that were inside the Tube don't work even after tube is removed. All the other RCS thrusters still work as normal. Part file included, added both types RCS to see it happens with both.

Two Vessels in Part File, Rocket on Left has no tube, all thrusters work. Rocket on Right has the tube, thrusters under the tube (connected to the donut tank) don't fire, even after the tube is dropped and they are revealed.

I also tested this using a cargo bay and then a faring to cover the same area, they didn't cause this. Seems to only happen with the tube.

Included Attachments:

Moho.json

OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI | RAM16 gb

Bug:

for some reason - when I place the 4 way RCS Thruster Block on the Cockatoo command module - half of them wont fire.

Included Attachments:

BrockenRCSPackage.zip