[WIP] G.R.A.P.E.F.R.U.I.T (formerlyTankHabs) [HELP WANTED]

Don0303

4 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

I am running ReStock, that's why I'm having issues, right? No compatibility there, yet?  

What are the issues you're having? I can say that at least for me it works perfectly using Restock.

7 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

Things are coming along nicely, huh! Looks great.

I am running ReStock, that's why I'm having issues, right? No compatibility there, yet?  

i actually had restock installed since i first started work on it, so that's definitely not whats causing issues, what kind of issues are you having?

23 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Present for y'all. I used GRAPEFRUIT on one of my space stations, a Skylab specifically.
0GOW6Mg.png
2Sy9UK6.png
h0lo28e.png
fy6bVYh.png
rcqCZyO.png
nOjYWb8.png
goXbssT.png
JX2fppJ.png

woah this is great! i always love seeing what people make with this!

21 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Also can I just say I love the easter eggs on the control panels, especially "daisy daisy" on the right panel.
b83Mn0i.png
ALUKksy.png

cant take credit for those I'm afraid, these are CC assets from  Tokamak Industries, though I do also love them

20 hours ago, Don0303 said:

i actually had restock installed since i first started work on it, so that's definitely not whats causing issues, what kind of issues are you having?

Oh silly assumption, then, on my part. I'm debugging a different mod issue but I'll update with an image if I can reproduce it once I'm back running.

Basically, when I select one of the parts, it loads in the editor missing most of it's textures or model. Like an invisible part except for some edges.

Obviously this information is not much to go on, but I'll try it again because I would like to get it working and maybe stomp a bug! Standby for more info.

Update: I've managed to reproduce the issue. Here's a clip followed by a log. I'd love to use this mod it's so neat! Thanks for your efforts.

Spoiler

JkXFvjU.gif

Log

Edited by ElonsMusk
update

1 hour ago, ElonsMusk said:

Basically, when I select one of the parts, it loads in the editor missing most of it's textures or model. Like an invisible part except for some edges.

That is how it supposed to work/look. For proper use of the parts, attach a converter module to the end of a fuel tank, and then attach the modules to the side nodes of the converter (For a visual demonstration, see part of my video linked on the previous page).

17 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

OH! My mistake, I'm not that bright. I should have read more.. Thanks for your patience!

this is actually on me, a tutorial video is in the works, many irons in the fire....

20 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

OH! My mistake, I'm not that bright. I should have read more.. Thanks for your patience!

wso0aJc.png

made this to clear things up! featuring parts for the next update, which I will prob upload now 

On 11/30/2023 at 12:06 PM, zakkpaz said:

I think what they are referring to is the ogive shape LOX tank which was turned into one big wet workshop accessed through the shuttles nose.

FPb8rwJ.png

On 2/4/2024 at 7:41 PM, Shantaboy said:

Just saw the new release on Spacedock, Congratulations! Never thought I'd get to see Boldly Going parts in KSP. Dream come true, thank you. :D

Finally refound this, best image I've found of the SSE intertank layout. Note at the bottom how there is an extension on the interstage tube to connect it to the docking port that links to the ODS. It also demonstrates ladder and grapple fixture placement on the ET and the orbiter. Lastly if you look very closely in the center, you can see the hatch connecting the "intertube" to the forward tank. It looks like the same hatch the orbiters used on the middeck IRL.

GGKASMpagAARLqP?format=jpg&name=large

6 hours ago, Shantaboy said:

Finally refound this, best image I've found of the SSE intertank layout. Note at the bottom how there is an extension on the interstage tube to connect it to the docking port that links to the ODS. It also demonstrates ladder and grapple fixture placement on the ET and the orbiter. Lastly if you look very closely in the center, you can see the hatch connecting the "intertube" to the forward tank. It looks like the same hatch the orbiters used on the middeck IRL.

GGKASMpagAARLqP?format=jpg&name=large

sweet! from the looks of things my version is pretty close! didn't add the projector, may do that next update (also had to make the intertube bigger to fit kerbals massive heads) I'm pretty new to boldly going so any tips or references for the IVA are appreciated, I don't plan to make it 1:1, but a grapefruit-style homage

Edited by Don0303

15 hours ago, AbnormalVenegrade said:

Is it possible for this mod to work with spherical fuel tanks? Maybe ability to attach radially too, but inline ones like Cryotanks has would be nice!

a radially attached version would have to be placed in exactly the right spot, and wouldn't work with freeiva, inline ones could work but to my knowledge there's no standard size for spherical tanks so it would only work on whatever tanks I based it on

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wanting to build massive stations and bases traversable via FreeIVA, and I think this mod is perfect for that!

While I really like SSPX, none of the modules are designed to go sideways, so I need to build bases with tall towers, but this mod has some fantastic horizontal modules. Doubling as fuel tanks also makes transporting them a breeze.

I also like how they can be used separately from the fuel tanks entirely. They're genuinely good module parts by themselves. If you altered the undeployed appearance a bit you could even pass them off as inflatable modules!

My only inputs would be:

1. Add horizontal docking hubs that can be traversed in FreeIVA without needing to disable gravity

2. Add nodes to the top and bottom so it can be connected directly to regular modules

3. Add a module that's just unfurnished high density seating for transporting a bunch of passengers (like the plane cabins)

Thanks a bunch for posting this! If I knew anything about modding I'd help out. You may have just changed the course of my current interstellar career save :)

3 hours ago, ninenineninefour said:

I've been wanting to build massive stations and bases traversable via FreeIVA, and I think this mod is perfect for that!

While I really like SSPX, none of the modules are designed to go sideways, so I need to build bases with tall towers, but this mod has some fantastic horizontal modules. Doubling as fuel tanks also makes transporting them a breeze.

I also like how they can be used separately from the fuel tanks entirely. They're genuinely good module parts by themselves. If you altered the undeployed appearance a bit you could even pass them off as inflatable modules!

My only inputs would be:

1. Add horizontal docking hubs that can be traversed in FreeIVA without needing to disable gravity

2. Add nodes to the top and bottom so it can be connected directly to regular modules

3. Add a module that's just unfurnished high density seating for transporting a bunch of passengers (like the plane cabins)

Thanks a bunch for posting this! If I knew anything about modding I'd help out. You may have just changed the course of my current interstellar career save :)

thanks for the input!

1. in the works! will likely be a walkway 
2. there is an adapter part in the newest update that is designed to do this, due to the design of the mod it is not possible on standard parts
3. this is a brilliant idea and I'm definitely on it

if you want to help I'm always interested in ideas for new habs, especially ones that people have a layout in mind for! even kind comments like this one help me stay motivated to continue work on the mod!

On 3/2/2024 at 2:47 PM, Don0303 said:

thanks for the input!

1. in the works! will likely be a walkway 
2. there is an adapter part in the newest update that is designed to do this, due to the design of the mod it is not possible on standard parts
3. this is a brilliant idea and I'm definitely on it

if you want to help I'm always interested in ideas for new habs, especially ones that people have a layout in mind for! even kind comments like this one help me stay motivated to continue work on the mod!

I did some testing, and it seems it's possible to connect regular habs by rotating them and connecting them to the sideways nodes, then rotating and offsetting them into place. I'm not sure if you'd consider this a bug or a feature, although personally I like it. Here's a link to some screenshots.

One possible suggestion I'd have is that instead of adding parts to a tank, you could use a parts switcher along with RevIVA to simply give the existing fuel tanks new variants with crew capacity and IVAs. One disadvantage would be that you wouldn't be able to customize the internal layout as much, but it would reduce part counts, fix the fuel tank usage issue, and make it a bit simpler and more intuitive to build with. I know that SSPx has containers whose resources can be switched, so maybe switching it could also remove the fuel storage?

Also, I spent a good amount of time designing a fancy rotating space station fully traversable in FreeIVA using the horizontal habs for the ring segments. I ended up scrapping it because it turns out FreeIVA doesn't support spin gravity using stock robotics like that, but thought it was neat:

RpPKDSP.png

3 hours ago, ninenineninefour said:

I did some testing, and it seems it's possible to connect regular habs by rotating them and connecting them to the sideways nodes, then rotating and offsetting them into place. I'm not sure if you'd consider this a bug or a feature, although personally I like it. Here's a link to some screenshots.

One possible suggestion I'd have is that instead of adding parts to a tank, you could use a parts switcher along with RevIVA to simply give the existing fuel tanks new variants with crew capacity and IVAs. One disadvantage would be that you wouldn't be able to customize the internal layout as much, but it would reduce part counts, fix the fuel tank usage issue, and make it a bit simpler and more intuitive to build with. I know that SSPx has containers whose resources can be switched, so maybe switching it could also remove the fuel storage?

Also, I spent a good amount of time designing a fancy rotating space station fully traversable in FreeIVA using the horizontal habs for the ring segments. I ended up scrapping it because it turns out FreeIVA doesn't support spin gravity using stock robotics like that, but thought it was neat:

RpPKDSP.png

i love this station! its exactly the kind of thing I hoped would be made with this mod!

i will say again that the top adapter should allow you to connect regular habs directly, so if this part isn't working please let me know

I've thought a lot about using revIVA, but the main issue is it wouldn't work with fuel tanks from other mods, and as you said it reduces customizability, I want to make sure that the mod is as versatile as possible

• 3 weeks later...