Why are there no new videos of the Science Update?

RaBDawG

10 days until December and no new teaser videos of the science update?  I know we are all assuming the update comes out like Dec 20th not early Dec with this studios track record on updates so far, but why have they not shown any new videos of the new content and reentry heating, etc since Nate's speech?  You'd think they would want to drum up excitement for it since it supposed to be the "turning point". 

Just seems odd......

I imagine they'll all want a decent Christmas break, so I guess they'd want to release early enough to be able to fix any major bug(s) that slip(s) through? If we guess that they'll finish for Christmas on the 21st, I'd imagine they'd be aiming for release on / around the 8th, or very early the following week. Maybe.

3 hours ago, RaBDawG said:

10 days until December and no new teaser videos of the science update?  I know we are all assuming the update comes out like Dec 20th not early Dec with this studios track record on updates so far, but why have they not shown any new videos of the new content and reentry heating, etc since Nate's speech?  You'd think they would want to drum up excitement for it since it supposed to be the "turning point". 

Just seems odd......

Really?  

They already posted "For Science Sneak Peaks" of landscapes, rocks, rocks, craters, Kerbal Hairstyles, a floating kerbal near a dock, more landscapes, great looking dirt textures, grass and trees, a few illustrations of ships and  kerbals on fire...   Darn, if that doesn't just scream "For Science" gameplay features and functionality...     We don't need a video to prove to us that progress has been made.

Have some faith pal...

And change that negative attitude.   

Take a deep breath and.........  just have another look at these screenshots.  They should paint a perfect picture of what to expect..

4 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Im kind of more interested in the mechanics and gameplay though?

Such as? I doubt we're gonna get those before 0.2.0 release. Space creator day gave a few hints, but I don't know what else can be said without unveiling gameplay completely. Even if they do that, knowing exactly what's coming without the ability to tinker with it myself... makes absolutely no difference to me.

4 minutes ago, cocoscacao said:

Such as? I doubt we're gonna get those before 0.2.0 release. Space creator day gave a few hints, but I don't know what else can be said without unveiling gameplay completely. Even if they do that, knowing exactly what's coming without the ability to tinker with it myself... makes absolutely no difference to me.

Showing unreleased gameplay is generally used for hype/marketing purposes, so if that isn’t their goal then it is no surprise to me that they wouldn’t release anything. 

I suspect they will show off science and other things later on when they actually want to do another marketing push again.

Since we don’t know their plans… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 minute ago, MechBFP said:

Showing unreleased gameplay

What gameplay? Science is still roughly about hopping to a certain location and pressing a button. The interesting part is how YOU are gonna achieve some goal. The rest is... well button clicking... 

29 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Showing unreleased gameplay is generally used for hype/marketing purposes, so if that isn’t their goal then it is no surprise to me that they wouldn’t release anything. 

I suspect they will show off science and other things later on when they actually want to do another marketing push again.

I did get the impression that it will be released to "the usual suspects" a bit before the official please so they can (hopefully) hype us up with videos of gorgeous landscapes, engaging gameplay and broomstick-shaped rockets so stiff that in reality they'd be loaded to the gills with blue pills.

But I'm old and my memory might be failing me.

But I'm old and my memory might be failing me.

3 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

What gameplay? Science is still roughly about hopping to a certain location and pressing a button. The interesting part is how YOU are gonna achieve some goal. The rest is... well button clicking... 

I quit playing KSP1 a month or so after starting it, because there was no direction. Then version 0.22 came out and added "Career Mode" (what is today Science Mode). Then I played the game for about half a decade and thousands of hours.

I can't explain why, but that tiny little difference, that you (accurately!) sum up as "hopping to a certain location and pressing a button" was the difference between "Meh I've been to Duna why bother going to the other planets?" and not being able to play enough.

11 hours ago, Kerbart said:

I doubt it’s the 1st but I don’t think it will be the 20th or later either

I saw in ANOTHER interview that they (And understandably so) would prefer to not have to work during the holidays... And the 20th would be cutting that margin a little close. I'd give it 15th max.

Edited by NexusHelium

5 hours ago, cocoscacao said:

Well there is supposed to be a little more to it this time. Id just love a little more detail? Probably closer to update-eve. The proof is in the pudding of course but being a bit of a game-maker nerd Ive loved hearing Nate and Chris and Shana talking about their thinking on the subject. 

I believe this is about community management. Tons of videos were released before EA release, which increased the level of hype as a consequence. However, since the initial release was dissapointing to many, people started to blame the KSP2 team for wasting their time making videos instead of making actual progress. I believe they don't want to make FS another EA release, so that's reasonable to me.

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

It could've been so much more*. So far it looks like there's less clicking and more of "how do I place the part". Not very game changing.

But how does it interact with progress mode? It would indeed be disappointing if  it still comes down to “fly to x and do science” instead of something that has more direct impact on which direction the game takes. Luckily Nate promised us it will be very exciting, and we know we can take his word for it.

19 hours ago, Buzz313th said:

Really?  

They already posted "For Science Sneak Peaks" of landscapes, rocks, rocks, craters, Kerbal Hairstyles, a floating kerbal near a dock, more landscapes, great looking dirt textures, grass and trees, a few illustrations of ships and  kerbals on fire...   Darn, if that doesn't just scream "For Science" gameplay features and functionality...     We don't need a video to prove to us that progress has been made.

Have some faith pal...

And change that negative attitude.   

Take a deep breath and.........  just have another look at these screenshots.  They should paint a perfect picture of what to expect..

Please give me one example from the past 9 months why anyone should "have faith" as it pertains to the development of this game.

10 hours ago, NexusHelium said:

I saw in ANOTHER interview that they (And understandably so) would prefer to not have to work during the holidays... And the 20th would be cutting that margin a little close. I'd give it 15th max.

Yes, that's what I remembered. They probably want to shut down for the last two weeks of the year, or expect a lot of their staff to do—it's been a grueling year for them after all. Allowing a week to push out some emergency fixes (it's safer to assume they're needed), then I suspect they're aiming for the 10th.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.