You can’t spell User Interface without U & I

Nesses

On 1/22/2024 at 5:15 PM, Superfluous J said:

May I suggest recoloring the target orbit so it is more of a different color than the primary ship's orbit? May I also suggest using the same color as that orbit for the text? Having the lines going from the orbit to the text be that color is nice, but having the text that color would make it far easier to see which label went with what, especially when they are close together.

A zillion percent agree.

20 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Concept of Sols is needed.

Kerbols? Debdebs?

13 hours ago, TROPtastic said:

I agree it's hard to find the relevant numbers right now, but after thinking about it, I don't think removing all the leading zeroes is the right approach. Leading zeros are used to prevent a timer from resizing as time changes, which can be janky and distracting. See this screenshot of a SpaceX livestream where they work well:

QGKFeRn.png

That's a fair point, but that timer also has only three fields instead of five (y:d:h:m:s). Conversely, if the KSP2 node time only showed three fields (maybe the three most significant?) then I don't think the extra zeros would have bothered me as much, if at all.

12 hours ago, jclovis3 said:

There is an option to use a 24h Earth day in KSP1 and I believe they intend to add that to KSP2 if they haven't already. Standardizing the display output makes it easier to verify screen space usage with either game option being used by the player.

That's certainly something the QA department should be aware of, but no reason to force it on the user. KSP1 used 1-digit hour fields if you were in Kerbin time mode (which I grant is the only mode I used).

I do imagine things may get more interesting if we get the option to use local planetary time with colonies.

Where is that an imrpovement? Articifal pixeling of font is still making it not properly readable and we made it all equal in basecolor is not an actual progress.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:52 AM, K33N said:

Love UI design as a field.

Please add back craft typing and type filters at the top, huge constant UI issue in every single player's game that has more than three craft.  Also please make stuff like this impossible:

https://imgur.com/a/p1YtrbG

It's impossible for me to add enough Likes onto this post.

Some more pet peeves:

Consistent toggle-click-policy, basically every mouse click (or keystroke) that opens a new UI element should close that element when clicked/stroked again. This already works pretty much everywhere but not with right-clicking parts, e.g. when wanting to quickly check a throttle limit or some such. It would be great if you could just right-click the part again to close the Parts Manager, instead of having to move the mouse across the screen to the Close button or to the app bar.

In the same vein, the top left "Burger" button should stay visible once clicked, so you can just click again to close the menu instead of having to move to the "Resume" line.

It'd also be great if the App bar were extendable with favorite apps.

Also regarding the app bar: the last (re)opened app window should be displayed in the foreground. Currently the z-order seems to be hardcoded corresponding to the order of the items in the app bar and app list, with the parts manager trumping them all.

Edited by MossToss
typo

On 1/22/2024 at 7:40 PM, Nesses said:

RHWkZj4.png

This is phenomenal news.

Two things I'd also love to see addressed are:

• make it so we can change the size/scale of these panels. The right-click-on-part-during-flight menu is absolutely gigantic, even (especially?) on a 4K display
  • make those icons high-res images or vectors. They simply do not scale well. Even in your own screenshot you can see they're all sorts of wonky, and it just looks bad. The pixel-art / display aesthetic just doesn't work well for different resolutions unless you have several different pixel-perfect asset sizes for popular resolutions (1080/1440/2160 at the very least)
  • never going to happen: make these UIs more information-dense, with smalles elements and less padding ;.;

This is the missing puzzle piece in “we're getting the show back on the road.” Showing that EA was indeed not an early money grab as some will claim, but that it's (also?) a way to get the product better before launch. Adding features and fixing bugs is of course required. But one can claim you can do that without EA. But incorporating feedback from the players is truly a benefit of EA and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's happy to see that taking place.

edit: added missing space

Edited by Kerbart
fixed missing space

One thing I want, is the ability to click the trajectory (to add maneuver node or warp to) which is shown with SOI of a body you haven't entered. For example: I am in orbit around Kerbol after doing a transfer burn from Kerbal and Duna. If I want to create a maneuver node (let's say a capture burn), I can't focus on Duna and use that trajectory line that's shown, I have to use the line that's projected way out around Kerbol. KSP1 you could just use the line.

Also I liked KSP1's precision maneuver system where the controls for the node are in a consistent place on the screen (not stuck onto the trajectory line).

I actually wish something similar existed for VAB for the rotate/translate tool.

Edited by byaafacehead

My three pet peeves:

1. How about a hotkey for autorun? I'm getting awful tired of holding down shift-W while I run to the latest landing site I missed by a couple kms. (Yes, jetpacks are a thing, but sometimes I want to conserve monopropellant.)

2. I struggle to rotate a planet or moon so that I can see my orbit from the side, something I used to do a lot in KSP1. It's sort of doable in KSP2, but it's always a struggle. I find I really want to do it when I'm trying to make a pinpoint landing, so I can see my trajectory. I also like doing it when I'm trying to achieve orbit.

3. On the timer displays, if they insist on keeping leading zeroes, could they at least boldface the significant digits and gray out the leading zeroes? Or use a different color, or both? I hate those leading zeroes.

Edited by Mister Spock
(Edited for clarity.)

On 1/23/2024 at 12:03 AM, regex said:

Am I imagining things or is this a much tighter interface (in terms of less "whitespace")? That's one of my bigger gripes, just how much space is wasted on the screen.

Either way, the fonts are looking much, much better, great work, looking forward to playing the result!

I'd love to see the wasted space at the screen "edges" get used... Icons hover some distance away from the screen and I have no idea why they chose to do that, the space is wasted and the icons should be touching the end of the screen.

I hope to see more control over font size. I still have modest sized monitors due to size limitations. The new font style will help, but it's still all very small.

Really happy with the change to intercepts! Long time player and even I constantly messed up with the intercept labels.

Will there be anything done with the icons in map view? It's extremely difficult to select things in map view once you have a number of crafts in orbit around multiple bodies.

First, 

Thank you all so much for everything you have all done so far in bringing my favourite game to the next level with KSP2.

Second,

There is a UI feature that I know I would love to see added. Currently, in the VAB, when you hover over a part in the staging stack, that part is highlighted on craft being built. Would it be possible to add the reverse as well: when you hover over a part on the craft, that part is highlighted in the staging stack (if it is stageable). This would be such a boon when one is trying to figure out if all of parts are properly staged. On a rocket with 14 parachutes and 20 seperatrons spread across 12 stages, it is nearly impossible to ensure that each one is firing at the right time just by scrolling down the staging stack.

pretty please...

We're getting there, but there's still a ways to go with this UI. I am constantly squinting. It is still simply not readable . . . especially the slashed zeros.

I write slashed zeros. I like them. But not in this game, lol.

I appreciate what you're going for with the pixelation, stylistically speaking. But for a game with this level of information density, what we have now is really a step down from KSP1.

• 1 month later...