Is SLS outdated or just right

Is SLS outdated/failure?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is SLS outdated/failure?

• Yes
    • No

SLS never wasn't obsolete.

F9, Falcon Heavy and Vulcan are all perfectly capable of supporting lunar Earth Orbit Rendezvous mission modes.

It'd would have been better cheaper and more frequent to spend SLS's budget on the surface mission rather than the marginally useful rocket to nowhere.

It's kinda funny that we have the SLS, a single0use rocket with reusable engines while SpaceX is working on a bigger vehicle that is fully reusable. And I'm not surprised if the total development cost of that SpaceX program is actually less than the SLS cost of a single launch.

Edited by Kerbart

1 hour ago, DDE said:

There are insufficient Starship flights for a meaningful response.

Not really. SLS was never designed to complete a useful mission by itself. Once the mission architecture requires distributed launch, the mission profile could be optimized for distributed launch. Given the outrageous evn the marginal cost of an SLS/Orion launch, distributed launch with planned/existing commercial vehicles at the time SLS started would still have been cheaper. Throw the what, $40+ billion of SLS/Orion dev costs at commercial, and we'd have even more to choose from.

no, but ask me again when starship makes orbit. 

falcon is nice and all until you need to launch something that wont fit in its fairing. its great for satellites and probes, but it wont take humans beyond leo. can it? maybe. with multiple launches and a modular spacecraft and it might end up costing more than a single throwaway launch. 

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

with multiple launches and a modular spacecraft and it might end up costing more than a single throwaway launch. 

I feel like it'd have a hard time doing even that when the throwaway launch has the same price tag as 20 Falcon launches.

7 hours ago, RCgothic said:

The payload envelopes Falcon and Vulcan can fit any crewed capsule ever flown and every space station module bar skylab.

capsule yes. service module and lm too?  fuel? consumables for more than a few hours visit?

besides the competition isnt who makes orbit first, its who gets man-rated.

Edited by Nuke

In its current state, it's outdated. It has a place politically, to maintain overall support for Artemis, but for creating and maintaining a long-term presence on the Moon, SLS isn't the answer, and I hope alternatives are put forward and more importantly, funded and approved by the powers that be. Commercial Lunar Crew when?

Now, if SLS/Orion had a much higher cadence, if it was cheaper to fly (cheaper than the shuttle at least)? It would honestly be pretty good, even in this emerging 'NewSpace' launch market of reusable rockets. SLS being able to send humans to the Moon multiple times a year for continous presence, with additional yearly flights for semi-continuous Mars missions, or deep space probes, would be great! But SLS can't do that, it can barely launch once per year. It's okay for a return to the Moon until it can pass the baton imo, but beyond that, it has no future.

Edited by Spaceception

7 hours ago, Nuke said:

capsule yes. service module and lm too?  fuel? consumables for more than a few hours visit?

besides the competition isnt who makes orbit first, its who gets man-rated.

Yes, easily. That's the power of rendezvous.

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

Yes, easily. That's the power of rendezvous.

I see crew launching separately on well proven craft as becoming the defacto norm on any mission requiring refilling.  For two reasons, 1) crew rating for launch is complicated and expensive and 2) refilling will always be best done with no human presence.  I can't see the first changing anytime soon, or the second ever changing except very reluctantly under extreme  circumstantial duress 

as far as space goes the dragon capsule has plenty of leg room, but it has endurance limits, iirc, as with any other orbital station wagon. it was designed for leo, not lunar operations after all.  it could probibly be retrofit for the job though.

you could probibly launch with a service module (replacing the trunk) in the heavy config just fine.  and a second heavy can bring up the lander.  possibly all without expending a stage. whats the maximum cadence for the heavy, can two be launched at a short enough interval? does spacex even need nasa to go to the moon?

i still dont think the sls is useless though, it still can launch a lot of payload and thus has a place. even if it is more of a governmental flex than a launch platform.

Edited by Nuke

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 10:52 AM, Nuke said:

as far as space goes the dragon capsule has plenty of leg room, but it has endurance limits, iirc, as with any other orbital station wagon. it was designed for leo, not lunar operations after all.  it could probibly be retrofit for the job though.

you could probibly launch with a service module (replacing the trunk) in the heavy config just fine.  and a second heavy can bring up the lander.  possibly all without expending a stage. whats the maximum cadence for the heavy, can two be launched at a short enough interval? does spacex even need nasa to go to the moon?

i still dont think the sls is useless though, it still can launch a lot of payload and thus has a place. even if it is more of a governmental flex than a launch platform.

yeah, but there's starship

18 hours ago, Andrew1233 said:

and a second heavy can bring up the lander.

I still think Lunarized Crew Dragon as  lunar lander, LEM,  is compelling when paired with a service module.  So no separate LEM.   Lugging a heat shield to the lunar surface and back to orbit annoys, but what if the heat shield stayed with the service module in lunar orbit, but coupled to Dragon and detached from SM upon return?   I'm just trying to get mileage out of what exists.  If that is a crime, then SLS is a war crime, ha