"Great American Eclipse" II: April 8 2024

I should also add that another good weather site for eclipse chasers is MeteoBlue. They have an "aviation and clouds" micro-meteorology page that's an aggregate of several forecast models and other data. They tend to be pretty accurate in my local area.

Edit: Northern Arkansas, north of Little Rock, is looking good at the moment, according to MeteoBlue.

Edited by PakledHostage

18 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Thank God they used easy to discern colors like white, light gray, not quite so light gray, etc.

Well, clouds are white, light gray, not quite so light gray, etc., don't you know?...

29 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Well, clouds are white, light gray, not quite so light gray, etc., don't you know?...

Yeah, but denser clouds = more white (certainly from above). It's lousy data visualization, IMNSHO.

7 hours ago, PakledHostage said:

I should also add that another good weather site for eclipse chasers is MeteoBlue. They have an "aviation and clouds" micro-meteorology page that's an aggregate of several forecast models and other data. They tend to be pretty accurate in my local area.

Edit: Northern Arkansas, north of Little Rock, is looking good at the moment, according to MeteoBlue.

Fantastic resource. My area is projected to have 40-60% cloud cover at totality, and I"m going to be checking this site daily until Monday.

I'm still seeing a bunch of somewhat competing forecasts in Texas...On Windy, the higher-resolution models seem to be more optimistic: https://www.windy.com/-Clouds-clouds?clouds,2024040818,33.843,-92.483,6,m:eBQadwQ

And there is currently some wildfire smoke in a few places around Texas - in my experience, this doesn't really inhibit any sort of viewing of the Sun (even H-alpha), just makes it a little more "interesting"

27 minutes ago, cubinator said:

And there is currently some wildfire smoke in a few places around Texas - in my experience, this doesn't really inhibit any sort of viewing of the Sun (even H-alpha), just makes it a little more "interesting"

Firesmoke.ca is a good resource for mapping forest fire smoke in North America.

58 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, but denser clouds = more white (certainly from above). It's lousy data visualization, IMNSHO.

I don't think it's great either, but I can see how it could be arrived at if someone didn't put much thought into it.

56 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

Fantastic resource. My area is projected to have 40-60% cloud cover at totality, and I"m going to be checking this site daily until Monday.

Click on a location on the map and choose "meteogram" from the popup.  That'll give you an atmospheric cross section w.r.t. time at the clicked  upon location. It extends for about 4 days into the future.

Edited by PakledHostage

20 hours ago, tater said:

GKVc34zbsAAiapw?format=jpg&name=large

You see that projected gap in the cloud cover in Illinois?  I've been watching that like a Hawk for days. 

Thankfully it's in driving range of my original chosen spot. 

Frustration for my wife is that she likes plans and I'm okay with being on the side of a farm road. 

Fingers crossed that there really is a gap.  Strong possibility is that the 'gap' is just an area of thin high clouds between storms....

45 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Fingers crossed that there really is a gap.  Strong possibility is that the 'gap' is just an area of thin high clouds between storms....

Good luck. I think we're all going to need it. It's April. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You see that projected gap in the cloud cover in Illinois?  I've been watching that like a Hawk for days. 

Thankfully it's in driving range of my original chosen spot. 

Here's a Canadian model to...be more hopeful about? https://www.cleardarksky.com/f.php?p=202404054C08406PoageObTX

47 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Frustration for my wife is that she likes plans and I'm okay with being on the side of a farm road. 

Yeah, this really is more like a storm chase for a lot of us. Probably a bunch of people are going to top it off with an actual storm chase as those will pop up in Texas that evening.

Edited by cubinator

12 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

It's April

I'd have to go back almost a year to find my original post - but I linked to the NOAA site showing 50% chance of clouds based on historic data.  This was always going to be a coin flip. 

(for me) 

The surprise is Texas, etc.  They have a much higher % chance of sun this time of year, IIRC. 

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'd have to go back almost a year to find my original post - but I linked to the NOAA site showing 50% chance of clouds based on historic data.  This was always going to be a coin flip. 

(for me) 

The surprise is Texas, etc.  They have a much higher % chance of sun this time of year, IIRC. 

Yeah, Texas is sunnier but not by that much. Even in Texas the chance of clouds was over 50%. But what seems to be uncommon is for the entire state to be covered in clouds, rather than some areas cloudy and others sunny.

3 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Yeah, Texas is sunnier but not by that much. Even in Texas the chance of clouds was over 50%. But what seems to be uncommon is for the entire state to be covered in clouds, rather than some areas cloudy and others sunny.

Yeah, SW TX is very much like NM... blowing dust I would expect, total overcast is rare.

Course it's closer to the coast than what I really know as SW TX (more towards El Paso).

15 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Yeah we’re not looking good for the north coast SJ.      

30-60% from Paducah to Syracuse.     

This one has a slider you can adjust the date, and it has Numbers! Not just different shades of gray.  

https://digital.weather.gov/?zoom=7&amp=&lat=39.56936&lon=-86.31568&layers=F000BTTTFTT&region=0&element=13&mxmz=false&barbs=false&subl=TTTTF&units=english&wunits=nautical&coords=latlon&tunits=localt

Gonna be get into a circle of X hours driving, then fight the traffic jam that is likely if everyone needs to move to that patch of blue over there...

16 minutes ago, tater said:

Gonna be get into a circle of X hours driving, then fight the traffic jam that is likely if everyone needs to move to that patch of blue over there...

That’s what I’m afraid of.    Heading west towards the central blue spot will be having to fight everybody west of Cleveland.    Heading to the Adirondacks and New England means crowds, but on tiny winding roads through the mountains.    I’m not sure what I’m going to do.  

11 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

That’s what I’m afraid of.    Heading west towards the central blue spot will be having to fight everybody west of Cleveland.    Heading to the Adirondacks and New England means crowds, but on tiny winding roads through the mountains.    I’m not sure what I’m going to do.  

My SW TX initial plan seemed ideal before the weather scuppered it. Now... east on I-40 to near the path, get up early and drive to a likely spot and hang out

7 hours ago, tater said:

Coming back from 2017, I spent 2 hours trying to advance 2 exits to the next freeway. 

5 hours back from a less than 2 hour drive out. 

Funz 

34 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Coming back from 2017, I spent 2 hours trying to advance 2 exits to the next freeway. 

5 hours back from a less than 2 hour drive out. 

Funz 

Yikes. And I'll have an 11 hour drive ahead of me, unconstrained.

I was in Bend, Oregon for 2017 and now I'm off to Montreal for this one; I had my eyes on Dallas but after these forecasts, Montreal is looking a hell of a lot more promising.  Hopefully it will go as well as 2017 did.  I'm hauling along 7 years of accumulated equipment with me, so I really hope I won't have to wait until 2026.

1 minute ago, Entropian said:

I was in Bend, Oregon for 2017 and now I'm off to Montreal for this one; I had my eyes on Dallas but after these forecasts, Montreal is looking a hell of a lot more promising.  Hopefully it will go as well as 2017 did.  I'm hauling along 7 years of accumulated equipment with me, so I really hope I won't have to wait until 2026.

Friends of ours retired to Madrid... maybe 2026 is a good time to visit.