Bad Gateway,Possible End,Theories,Solutions.

ColdJ

A thread to discuss the possible end to Forums, why we are getting Bad Gateway blackouts and possible alternatives if the Forums were to close.

The bad gateways could be something with the URLs changing. It seems unlikely that the forums will close.  There are so many very active people keeping it alive, and I'm sure Intercept games will want to keep this for the future of KSP2. However, if the forums do close, we have to switch to... REDDIT:0.0:

2 hours ago, darthvader15001 said:

The bad gateways could be something with the URLs changing. It seems unlikely that the forums will close.  There are so many very active people keeping it alive, and I'm sure Intercept games will want to keep this for the future of KSP2. However, if the forums do close, we have to switch to... REDDIT:0.0:

Only temporarily. Reddit is never a true replacement for a forum. Things get buried there much more easily. And Discord is really only useful for dedicated subcommunities (i.e., content creators, community challenge discussions, etc.). 

1 hour ago, Grenartia said:

Only temporarily. Reddit is never a true replacement for a forum. Things get buried there much more easily. And Discord is really only useful for dedicated subcommunities (i.e., content creators, community challenge discussions, etc.). 

Exactly.

If we're allowed to, and someone wants to, someone could always try creating a new forum, though I'm not sure if that'd go well legally. If it doesn't there could alwags be a technically-totally-legally-distinct-STRICLY-FAN-forum with no ties to KSP or Take-Two :wink:

It's not illegal to scrape this forum for archival / posterity sake.

We would need permission to repost or mirror. I don't even know where to begin to scrape something this large. 

My initial attempts suggest it would be a rather immense project without the technical skills to automate much of it. . And even then.. likely daunting if you are not well versed in the specifics.

I would most likely cry should the forum ever fade away

6 hours ago, darthvader15001 said:

earlier there was a 502 on every page, but probably just because everyone finished school for the summer.

Doubt it. Its been going on basically every night I've been on, and schools let out a month ago.  Plus, there doesn't seem to actually be enough traffic to cause problems. 

Irony:

I wrote the below, and when I clicked "submit" I got a 502 error :D

I come here multiple times a day and can't remember the last time a page didn't load. It's been months if not years if it was actually ever.

Posted (edited)

I have had 6 separate 502s today, also periods where it has taken longer than a minute to load a page.

Edited by ColdJ

8 hours ago, Grenartia said:

Doubt it. Its been going on basically every night I've been on, and schools let out a month ago.  Plus, there doesn't seem to actually be enough traffic to cause problems. 

The schools in my town let out yesterday. Also if not high traffic because of summer vacation, what else could be causing this?

Have taken to playing Solitaire as I wait for pages to load.

45 minutes ago, darthvader15001 said:

what else could be causing this?

Downgrading of access for the forum servers, making it harder for it to keep up. Maybe cost cutting related to the stopping of KSP2 developement.

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I have had 6 separate 502s today, also periods where it has taken longer than a minute to load a page.

I guess now you have to wait several minutes for anything ksp related to load;.;

55 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Downgrading of access for the forum servers, making it harder for it to keep up. Maybe cost cutting related to the stopping of KSP2 developement

This is a possibility, but it has happened before that there were a bunch of 502 errors. See this

On 2/28/2019 at 10:55 AM, Vanamonde said:

There have been some weirdnesses on several of Squad's webpages recently. I believe they're mostly minor bugs from recent updates. IT is looking at that thread.

@Vanamonde

Any idea if the recent is similar to what happened in 2019?

It is happening every 10 minutes or so to my connection now.

I have had an absurd amount of 502 errors yesterday and today. It has worsened to the point that when I go to check the forums I find a 502 error more often than not.

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

It's an intermittent problem lately but I don't know the cause. We alert the guys each time we observe it. Sorry for the trouble. 

We get it. Its beyond your pay grade, and the people officially tasked with forum infrastructure maintenance are likely cleaning out their desks now, if they haven't already (again, not a failure on their part). 

I will be crushed should the forum fade away. I have reached out to the powers that be to see about absorbing server fees & making mods admin...

Either my nobody status is at play... or there is no worry that the forum will go anywhere in the near future.

I great appreciate those who have freely given their time to moderate this medium.

I also want express a boundless appreciation and thanks to all those brilliant codes slingers that have contributing to the modding landscape of this great franchise.

Whether you are a longstanding modder of the game or just a dabbler..  the prolific number of mods around are what make the game what it is..

I would also like to acknowlege any & all who came to my assistance over some issue that risked driving me apeexcrements  

Also, A great bug shout out and appreciation to those that have engaged with me in some form of camaraderie.

Thank You All..

(It's 112°F here.. typos are cool mmkay)

Edited by Fizzlebop Smith