The fact that my kerbal can leap from a deorbitting craft 1000 meters above the surface of the Mun... impact Munar surface between 20-40 M/S and ... stick like glue.

Kerbal Grav boots are one of the most aggravating aspects of development  for me.

I miss Kerbals bouncing into the air several times before rolling to a stop... or frantically trying to activate your EVA jetpack to prevent tragedy.

11 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I'd rather see tethers than mag boots, TBH.

Yes tethers would be excellent. The closest I have come is using the Kerbal Attachment System mod.

On 8/3/2024 at 7:31 AM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

The fact that my kerbal can leap from a deorbitting craft 1000 meters above the surface of the Mun... impact Munar surface between 20-40 M/S and ... stick like glue.

Kerbal Grav boots are one of the most aggravating aspects of development  for me.

I miss Kerbals bouncing into the air several times before rolling to a stop... or frantically trying to activate your EVA jetpack to prevent tragedy.

A thousand times, yes!

I know the ragdoll physics of Kerbals in KSP is a nuisance to many, but I love it. The clumsiness it creates is charming and reminiscent to humans on their first moon missions tripping while on the lunar surface.

Kerbals in KSP2 were tremendously stiff and underdeveloped. We know there were animations for Kerbals getting up from a fallen position, but obviously the devs never got around to implementing physics and animations related to it. I may be wrong, but I believe mag boots in KSP2 were a result of incomplete development and were not originally an intentional feature.

Getting back on topic, I also agree with the idea of tethers instead of mag boots. I'm really not sure what mag boots provide that ladders and the EVA pack do not already offer (other than maybe convenience of not having to build ladders? But where is the fun in that). Tethers, on the other hand, would allow multiple Kerbals to conduct EVA and be detached from a craft without being babysat by the player. It also could mitigate drifting away from crafts. This is especially annoying when a Kerbal is detached and I want to time warp.

I could go on, but I feel that with limited mod support in KSP I would rather see a more functional feature like tethers instead of replicating KSP2's mag boots.

11 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

Can you really define a vertical surface in a zero-grav environment? 

Depends on frame of reference.  For example, if you are in the cargo bay of a space shuttle, you (not you personally, but you as in the generalized population) probably will see the walls of the cargo bay as vertical.

Overall...no, you really can't.  With no gravity, there is no such thing as up/down, or vertical/horizontal.

• 4 weeks later...