What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Kimera Industries said:

F2WXlgh.jpg

I developed some ICBMs, some of which went far and some of which didn't. I'm considering having an overclocked firework inside the warhead to get a big "explosion" upon "landing."

So about that ICBM development... the overclocked firework crashed my game. Sigh...

With all the excitement about the upcoming launch of the next IRL X-37b, I recently built my OTV-37 "pseudo-replica".

fWwzo6T.jpg 

Then I added a small payload: an RA-2 cubesat (unpublished).

Meanwhile, with the continuous launch of IRL Starlink missions, well, it lead me to thinking about using the stretch CRG-08 Mk2 cargo bay.

However, I was tentative about making any change to OTV-37 since I am very fond of its aerodynamics.

Therefore, I whipped up Kerblink, in two configurations: the first with 4x RA-2 cubesats (yet unpublished), and this one depicted, with 18x C-16 cubesats:

ETI2XxQ.jpg      md8iMoL.jpg

It is so prototypically simple that it has been a huge surprize [sic] and bonus that its simple format works so well  -- I regard it as 'final'.

It's a recoverable, autonomous, Mk2 CRG-08 cargo bay  mounted on top of a recoverable Twin Boar.  A very sweet marriage!

Conceivably [if I indeed know what that word means], a double-bay config could be used, possibly upgrading the Spark engine to a Terrier.    Flexible for any compact payload.

Even the Mk2 aerobody ("body lift") performance impressed (staggered) me, because I have never witnessed that phenomenon this dramatically (see below).  I was very tempted to make it Horizontal Return-capable (you know, like an aeroplane).

This is the recently-built Kobe Island airport, 50 clicks downrange from KSC, acting as impromptu target (after a full orbit since lift-off):

kFKfGfs.jpg

But again, why stink things up?

"Simple is beautiful!"

Have a nice day.

Edited by Hotel26

Jeb persuaded a reluctant Bob to join him in test flying his new Zelicopter (The Belafonte mod by @ColdJ).

lf4RyVP.png

At first things went well, including a quick trip to visit the Cove launch site and a high altitude trip across the peninsula, but Bob was rather disgusted to find out that Jeb hadn't been paying attention to the fuel gauge and they were forced to make an emergency landing near the edge of the desert on their way back.

Spoiler

MaDNgcX.png

AlzWHvB.png

DdaPAMX.png

While Jeb stayed with the his new toy, Bob hiked to the nearest main road and hitched his way back to the KSC.

It took a little while for the people at the KSC to prep another chopper (a Huey also by ColdJ) to take a couple of jerry cans of fuel to the stranded Jeb (Wehrner felt it would do him some good to have to wait a bit), but eventually Sammy and John made the trip and then followed him back after refuelling the Zelicopter (squadron mode in TCA). All's well that ends well and both craft landed neatly on the runway.

Spoiler

tsWS5FJ.png

A7hWxEh.png

XS0lOFc.png

I pulled off an incredible Vall landing.  Came within 100m of the mountains at 900 m/s while descending, and then ran out of fuel right before touching down and ended up lithobraking away everything up to the payload fairing.  Rover was unharmed.

My KSP won't load. It goes through the loading process then gets stuck on the little "Loading" icon before the Main Menu. It really sucks, because I wanted to update my mission report during the Holiday Break.

I really hope that my KSP isn't broken, because I'd made a ton of progress on that said mission report save. I suppose I could attempt to recover, because most of the ships I uploaded to KerbalX anyway, but I'd still have to replace the vessels being actively flown, as well as rebuild vessels I haven't uploaded. Obviously, I wouldn't want to do this.

I posted a report in the KSP1 Technical Support section, but nobody has responded to my call for help. I'm starting to get kind of desperate. Does anyone know how to fix this?

You could try the following.

1. rename your saves/<world>/persistent.sfs to saves/<world>/persistent.sfs.231225 (now you have a backup)
  2. copy your save/<world>/quicksave.sfs to saves/<world>/persistent.sfs  (Now you've regressed to happier times)
  3. do not panic!  (I should have mentioned that eariler)
  4. now try the startup...
  5. if it works, there's something wrong with the most persistent.  Check its size and compare it with the quicksave: maybe it's significantly shorter?  If so, it's toast: move on without it.
  6. if it doesn't work, you can copy your persistent.sfs.231225 back over persistent.sfs (but keep the Xmas (231225) version).  Further diagnosis required.

Let us know how these steps work out for you.  Also, don't panic!  But don't fork it up...

(Pay particular attention to everything above that is underlined.)

Edited by Hotel26

55 minutes ago, TwoCalories said:

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Adding to @Hotel26's instruction: make a copy of the <savename>\backup folder and save it someplace else. KSP1 keeps a backup there of the last 5 (default, could be more if you changed it) persistent files.  That way you can test them, starting with the most recent, and see if you can get back to a working situation without losing too much progress.

Uh, probably important to have copied this context here: 

Check what is in  GameData/KerbalKonstructs/NewInstances

and delete it if it looks totally new (check dates).  Roll it back.  Then try the load.

As usual, "Don't fork it up!"

Today I worked on a Saturn 1 rocket for a Mission Report I might make.

So far I have completed Sputnik-1, Explorer-1, Little Joe, Mercury Redstone, Mercury Atlas, and Titan II GLV.

Spoiler

All the rockets are the same/higher quality then the Apetryx-9.

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife

I took a ride with my F/A-18E/F Super Hornet in its Air-to-Surface attack variant. This'll hopefully come to KerbalX soon! In the meantime, you can play with the Air-to-Air variant, if you're a fellow Super Hornet enjoyer like me.

img%5D

Capt. Jebediah Kerman, taking off from NAS Kola in an F/A-18E "Echo One".

img%5D

Approaching the practice target, the old Island Airfield. This F/A-18 is outfitted with three drop tanks, two Mavericks, and four Hellfires, plus two AIM-9s on the wingtips.

img%5D

Mavericks away! As you can see, Capt. Jeb is attempting a low altitude bombing run.

img%5D

Absolutely stunning explosion! It was a little off target from the old hangars, but the error was attributed to the fact that Jeb was sent up without an WSO for some reason?!??

img%5D

Coming down for landing... Flaps and gear down.

img%5D

And we've set ourselves down, only a little off directly down the center of the runway.

Today, (just a few minutes ago) I landed on Pol for my Jool 5! I already have Laythe and Vall. Getting the lander docked to the mothership again was...
One of the closest calls I've ever had...

The lander is meant to ditch its empty tanks, but only for the Tylo landing. Neither the game nor KER could seem to get over the fact that I wasn't ditching them to land on Vall and Pol, and both of their predicted dv readouts were.... unreliable. Mostly accurate, but still. I barely got a Tylo assist (Thank you, Tylo! You're a lifesaver!) (Sometimes...) and also barely got into Laythe orbit. Then, I had a crazy plan. I would aerobrake... in a vacuum-optimized lander... with non-retractable solar panels. Needless to say, those panels are no longer with us, but their sacrifice got my orbit down to the level of the mothership. I raised my periapsis and then warped a lot until I got a good rendezvous. Using no more than 35 dv at least, I was able to dock with the mothership and refuel.

Oh, and to save fuel I landed on Pol using only Val's EVA pack. Will probably do the same for Bop, when I get to it.

"I'm going off the orbit lines on a crazy traaaa-ain (of gravity assists!)"

Edited by Kimera Industries

Spoiler

The first thing we do, kerblings, for a major release, is go out on the net and generate what I like to call 'hype'.  But be careful not to oversell the product!

Ha ha ha; nyuk nyuk.  "Oversell"!  :)  Not in my vocabulary, for sure.

Then we release the major -- that is to say: spectacular (my new word in English!) -- release and go back to the advertisement announcement and insert the, what I like to call "hyper-link"...  Verstanden?  (I invented these things, hyper-links, only quite recently, actually, I have to say...)

/Dr Evil, Ph.D, E.Mad.Sc., Underground Volcanic Lair, Dec 29, 2023.

Xw5upJJ.jpg

Yes, well, where to start.  Home alone on the annual vacation has gotten the Good Doctor all nostalgic about e.g. NASA, and other long-defunct, boyhood memories.

So with the help of my elvish(?) VAB helpers, we have assembled "das prototype vehicle for the CRG-100 style orbital delivery".

What is it good for; well, we don't know: fiddly little stuff in lots of pieces, we suppose.  A vacation lark, you might say, before we return to our real work of developing networks of autonomous, space-based weapons of suddenly-unleashed destruction that can be blamed on aliens/UFOs/comedy-writers...

So this is Skylark.  It has at least 16 standard baby docking points.  It is mounted on a Twin-S3 Mammoth-propelled, recoverable booster.  Plenty of fuel and grunt (TWR) on the pad, so very flexible about additional payload.

Skylark is VLHR.  In the demo version, it will be released with the cargo shown, which assembles in orbit into a cute, miniature -- and quite useless, I assure you -- space station.  It's only selling point is it is our first use of the magneto boom sonic destructor ray gun...  (Batteries and some assembly not supplied.)

This cargo bay was a lot of fun to pack, I must say -- although I only want to do it this once -- as it really emphasized the power of the ancient, boreal Way of Lego.  Hopefully, this first assembly in space will also go smoothly.

UPDATE: well, that first effort turned into a calf-roping event (due to disorderly release of components).

So, here's an artist's impression of what a "Mini-Me Station" should look like:

Ao325Sa.jpg

(Probably shouldn't have that telescope pointed at the near-by solar panel, hey?)

Edited by Hotel26