[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

I came here to talk about just this issue. I'll read back over the past few pages, but I wanted to make sure I could find this again so I'm posting.

I've tried everything in-game I can think of, including putting a small tank immediately above the engine and then the large tank (the old trick we used to use on Mainsails), putting a large tank immediately above the engine, putting large radiators (the passive ones) on the tank, the engine, and both, and using wings as heat sinks. It still overheats like crazy. I'll try an MM patch as soon as I can figure out what to change.

I came here to talk about just this issue. I'll read back over the past few pages, but I wanted to make sure I could find this again so I'm posting.

I've tried everything in-game I can think of, including putting a small tank immediately above the engine and then the large tank (the old trick we used to use on Mainsails), putting a large tank immediately above the engine, putting large radiators (the passive ones) on the tank, the engine, and both, and using wings as heat sinks. It still overheats like crazy. I'll try an MM patch as soon as I can figure out what to change.

That trick with the small tank worked because heat transfer in the old days measured distance, ignoring (and transferring no heat) if the distance to the adjacent part's transform was too long.

Small tanks allowed to transfer the maximum amount of heat because the distance was so short.

Yes, but there may be undiscovered bugs. Use the patch mentioned and force ckan to install the version you want: './ckan.exe upgrade KWRocketry=2.7'.

Pardon my ignorance, but where am I supposed to write './ckan.exe upgrade KWRocketry=2.7'?

I've updated my patch, I found a few more small patches. ---snip---

Thanks for this, your consolidation of the various contributions by other forum members made this pretty darn easy to apply :)

Pardon my ignorance, but where am I supposed to write './ckan.exe upgrade KWRocketry=2.7'?

Into the command line after you've have cd'd into the directory containing CKAN. You also need to precede that with "mono" if you're running OS X or Linux.

Edited by Whovian

@Linuxgurugamer, where do we find the file to place the patch in?

Save it in GameData as a plain text file named WhateverYouWantToCallIt.cfg -- the extension is all that really matters. Make sure you have ModuleManager installed as well.

Save it in GameData as a plain text file named WhateverYouWantToCallIt.cfg -- the extension is all that really matters. Make sure you have ModuleManager installed as well.

I'm thinking it might actually be worth distributing it as a "mod" in CKAN. It could be called something like "KW Rocketry Community Fixes", and contain just that MM patch.

I'm thinking it might actually be worth distributing it as a "mod" in CKAN. It could be called something like "KW Rocketry Community Fixes", and contain just that MM patch.

Sure, I'd be happy to do that.

Two things:

1. Can someone come up with a patch for the heat values? If you just give me the values, I can write the ModuleManager patch.

2. I'd like opinions on whether to keep the following in:

// Fix solid booster having thrust when limiter is zero
// Following from nicogusuarez
// http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51037-1-02-KW-Rocketry-v2-7-Available-1-02-Compatibility%21-16-05-2015?p=2039003&viewfull=1#post2039003
// Fix solids.

@PART[KWsrbGlobeI]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@minThrust = 0
}
}

@PART[KWsrbGlobeV]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@minThrust = 0
}
}

@PART[KWsrbGlobeVI]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@minThrust = 0
}
}

LinuxGuruGamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

How difficult would it be to return to the old way the fairings worked? I miss having to design my payloads around what the fairings could hold (rather than the other way around).

How difficult would it be to return to the old way the fairings worked? I miss having to design my payloads around what the fairings could hold (rather than the other way around).

It would require a new fairing module that actually calculated part occlusion in the correct way.

I vote to keep it -- it's clearly intended behavior by K & W and adds some unique flavor to the SRBs. That said the effects for SRBs that are thrust limited to 0 are broken under 1.x -- they generate thrust but do not display visual effects. It might be possible to fix this by switching the effects over to SmokeScreen.

Here's my own contribution to the patch, feel free to include if you want. It switches the interstage fairings over to omni decouplers and removes the finicky extra node on engines/shrouds. This is convceivably craft breaking so it might be best to leave it as an optional module.

// Disable KW Engine autofairings

@PART[KW1mengine*|KW2mengine*|KW3mengine*|KW5mengineTitanV]:AFTER[KWRocketry] {

!MODEL,2 {}
!node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
}

// Shroud changes. Cigarette filter shrouds get switched to omni decuplers

@PART[KW?mDecouplerShroud]:AFTER[KWRocketry] {

!node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0

@MODULE[ModuleDecouple] {
!explosiveNodeID = top
%isOmniDecoupler = true
}
}

@PART[KWadapter2x1]:AFTER[KWRocketry] {

@mass = 0.5
!node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0
@node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -.80, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

@MODULE[ModuleDecouple] {
@explosiveNodeID = bottom2
}
}

@PART[KWadapter3x2]:AFTER[KWRocketry] {

@MODEL {
@scale = 1.25, 1.65, 1.25 //Scale so it covers all three 2.5m engines
}
@node_stack_top = 0.0, -1.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.415, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3
}

@PART[KW5x3AdapterShroud]:AFTER[KWRocketry] {
@node_stack_top = 0.0, -1.50, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
}

Got a bit of weirdness. I have the most recent combined community patch installed.

The KW fairing bases have their temp tolerances cut in half (as listed in the VAB). Only 1200 degrees. They are frying quick on ascent. Anybody have this? In the part file there is nothing amiss, same with patch.

Edit: Partially my fault, I'm still not used to the heating in 1.0.4 and was spending too much time in the upper atmosphere doing a G-turn. So being as how these fairings come earlier in the tree and such might not be a big prob.

Edited by autumnalequinox

Sure, I'd be happy to do that.

Two things:

1. Can someone come up with a patch for the heat values? If you just give me the values, I can write the ModuleManager patch.

// Following from nicogusuarez
// http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51037-1-02-KW-Rocketry-v2-7-Available-1-02-Compatibility%21-16-05-2015?p=2039003&viewfull=1#post2039003
// Fix solids.

@PART[KWsrbGlobeI]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@minThrust = 0
}
}

@PART[KWsrbGlobeV]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@minThrust = 0
}
}

@PART[KWsrbGlobeVI]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
@minThrust = 0
}
}

LinuxGuruGamer

It always bugged me that KW SRBs were limited this way. I think it's just in the way of creativity, so I vote for 0 minThrust.

Is it just me, or is the Grifon XX a bit OP since the convergence to the new aerodynamics model?

I got two identical rockets: one in KSP .24 and one in 1.0.2. Both have a Griffon XX engine and SC-4-LFT for a first stage. both gor a SC-1-LFT and Wildcat-XR as second stage. Propelling a payload at aprox 16 ton

The one in KSP .24 is at Ap 32km upon MECO. The one in KSP 1.0.2 is at Ap 66km.

Is the Griffon XX supposed to be that much more powerful?

Is it just me, or is the Grifon XX a bit OP since the convergence to the new aerodynamics model?

I got two identical rockets: one in KSP .24 and one in 1.0.2. Both have a Griffon XX engine and SC-4-LFT for a first stage. both gor a SC-1-LFT and Wildcat-XR as second stage. Propelling a payload at aprox 16 ton

The one in KSP .24 is at Ap 32km upon MECO. The one in KSP 1.0.2 is at Ap 66km.

Is the Griffon XX supposed to be that much more powerful?

Engines afaik actually got weaker in 1.0. It's just the atmosphere that is that much thinner. Getting to Orbit now takes 3.3k D/V, 0.24 was around 4.5k.

please please update this for the new 1.0.4 heating system

Hmm, a few pages back in this thread is a patch for module manager that makes some changes. Personally I found that the heating values are the opposite as before and too low if you ask me, but it's a good start if you want to tweak these things yourself. ;-)

Greets,

Jan

Edited by Jananton

I have, though I've been experiencing it with tanks from other mods and someone said that they had it with a stock tank (fuel switched to liquid fuel only I believe). So it may be a stock bug.

I'm testing the petal adapter and is not working I made a model just like the video, so the fairing work well but when I do the first decoupler my main spacecraft just gets stock there, the second decoupler works with the lander, I try to place the main spacecraft higher and the decoupler worked but since the engine is sticking out it creates a cover for it so when you decouple the thing is floating in front of the petal if anyone knows how to fix this that'll be great