[1.1.x] Space Shuttle Engines (2016-07-03)

sarbian

Which parts of the pack do you use?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which parts of the pack do you use?

• X2 Engine
    • BB engines
    • Aerospike
    • Attachment points
    • Auto Stagers
    • Fuel Controllers
    • Radio Controller
    • Tank System
    • OMS system

you know you really suck at making shuttles when you can't even make one with this mod and B9 :C.

however i still use this awesome engines and the smart parts for conventional rockets

great mod!

Don't be so hard to yourself. Even with these engines, building a shuttle is far more complicated than builing a rocket. Where do you fail? Maybe I can help. Post what's wrong and maybe a picture of your CoM and the complete vessel. We'll get you flying, I'm sure.

Edited by dtobi

awesome pack, i love it. since first release one of my default mods.

mostly because i have no more to build own shuttle engines from stock engines :D

and this engines are verry well balanced... great work.

Btw i like to use the X0 as OMS on my shuttles. looks nice have the OMS fireing a litle bit left and right.

Edited by acc

awesome pack, i love it. since first release one of my default mods.

mostly because i have no more to build own shuttle engines from stock engines :D

and this engines are verry well balanced... great work.

Btw i like to use the X0 as OMS on my shuttles. looks nice have the OMS fireing a litle bit left and right.

I guess you'll like the next release then. It contains a straight X0 as dedicated OMS engine.

Thanks for sticking with the mod! Your appreciation is very much appreciated ;-)

I think I found a bug in altimeter. Over water, they active in wrong altitude. I had one set for lower than 8 meters to fire a smal SRB to cushion landing, Soyuz style. Over land works perfectly, but over water it fired at about 10000m!

ccRPKHH.jpg

Cryo Effects:

9QB2tZ7.jpg

kIjguS6.jpg

V1.0 Art Pass, Cryo Effects, Balancing, OMS

* Particle based pre-launch effect

* Art pass: Better looking tank system (more similar to the actual shuttle tank textures)

* Switched vacuum and sea level LSP. The engines are more realistic now.

* Fixed offset for dual OMS engines. They fly straight now.

* Added OMS version of X0 engine.

* Fuel valve for getting rid of excess fuel before reentry

* The tank system has built-in smart part fuel sensors now. Right click on a tank.

* Smart parts update (see smart parts for details)

I think I found a bug in altimeter. Over water, they active in wrong altitude. I had one set for lower than 8 meters to fire a smal SRB to cushion landing, Soyuz style. Over land works perfectly, but over water it fired at about 10000m!

We have that on our list. It will be fixed soon.

cool update. does the fuel valve generate thrust?

and because you like to see what's made whit your parts, here my latest shuttle for .23, the Kerbal Space Shuttle (KSS) Kerkin:

u8jd9yg.png

(named to Commander Kerkin Kerman, died on a early test mission with the prototype shuttle)

body flap works as well (as 10 degree pitch-only control surface, because set as flap it only trims downwards) and thanks to real chutes for a working on-ground drag chute.

i upload a full album from launch to landing later, i just need to land it. it glides verry well, but since the latest KSP update i have heavy lags on kerbin surface, so it's hard to land everything.

Edited by acc

http://i.imgur.com/ccRPKHH.jpg

Cryo Effects:

http://i.imgur.com/9QB2tZ7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kIjguS6.jpg

V1.0 Art Pass, Cryo Effects, Balancing, OMS

* Particle based pre-launch effect

* Art pass: Better looking tank system (more similar to the actual shuttle tank textures)

* Switched vacuum and sea level LSP. The engines are more realistic now.

* Fixed offset for dual OMS engines. They fly straight now.

* Added OMS version of X0 engine.

* Fuel valve for getting rid of excess fuel before reentry

* The tank system has built-in smart part fuel sensors now. Right click on a tank.

* Smart parts update (see smart parts for details)

Those effects look awesome! Great work ! :)

cool update. does the fuel valve generate thrust?

and because you like to see what's made whit your parts, here my latest shuttle for .23, the Kerbal Space Shuttle (KSS) Kerkin:

http://i.imgur.com/u8jd9yg.png

(named to Commander Kerkin Kerman, died on a early test mission with the prototype shuttle)

body flap works as well (as 10 degree pitch-only control surface, because set as flap it only trims downwards) and thanks to real chutes for a working on-ground drag chute.

i upload a full album from launch to landing later, i just need to land it. it glides verry well, but since the latest KSP update i have heavy lags on kerbin surface, so it's hard to land everything.

Nice work, what mods does it use? I see the Space Shuttle engines and B9 Aerospace. A download would be nice as well. :)

I just downloaded these engines for the first time, and a I must say that you all did a great job. I noticed that these engines seem to be VERY powerful for their size (especially the smaller ones). Any rationale for the rated thrust of the engines?

dtobi: looks awesome, i will put them everywhere :D

Nice work, what mods does it use? I see the Space Shuttle engines and B9 Aerospace. A download would be nice as well. :)

thank you. yes, thats right, and:

pWings, stretchySRB (onbord LFO and monoprop tanks, external LFO drop tank), kerbpaint (to paint the pWings), KW rocketry (stronger struts, SRBs, battery banks), remotetech2 (antenna), real chutes (drag chute for landing), editor extention for constructing (mainly to change SPH/VAB mode for attachment and launching from launchpad), a selfmade life support service module for TAC life support, raster prop monitor (for better IVA and cam parts for IVA view of docking and cargo).

i'll release the shuttle when i've finished the life support module :)

Edited by acc

Hey everyone, not sure if anyone still looks at this thread (they should because this mods kicks ass) but I have run into a horrible problem:

In the VAB the stock shuttles (KM Atlantis, KM Endevour, etc) that come with the mod file say "This ship contains locked or unavailable parts."

I have tried re-installing B9 Aerospace and this mod and nothing seems to work. I really love the stock shuttles so any help would be awesome. I am playing KSP .23 and Sandbox mode.

How about adding compatibility for additional fuels? Currently the Fuel Sensor and the Valve are only working with Stock fuels, so kinda useless for RealFuels :-/

Sure, that's easy. I only need to know the exact resource names and relations (e.g., 0.9 and 1.1 for LF and O)

Also dtobi, are you thinking of making a cargo bay for stock stuff (because I'm waiting for b9 to be updated, and no I don't want to use the old version :P)

(also when i make shuttles, by the time they turn on their back they have lost too much weight and are flipping out, any help?)

Edited by Boamere

@Boa turn MUCH earlier. If you look at actual shuttle launches the roll program is very early in the gravity turn; just about as soon as the shuttle itself lifts off the pad it begins to roll to have its back facing eastward. Same thing here (especially true if using FAR). You want the lift of the wings to pull the craft down into (and use them to assist with) the gravity turn. If you aren't using FAR again you want more drag on the eastward facing portion of the lifter vehicle so roll early.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.