Devnote Tuesdays: The 0.24 Update Goals Edition

SQUAD

Looking forward to contracts and all you people worried about mutliplayer: Don't. They're laying the groundwork. They have to. The earlier they start the less work they have to do later hammering multiplayer into the finished product. It's bad enough they're starting this late, don't hate on them for not putting it off further! Nobody's going to force you to play multiplayer, and any server admin worth his salt should be making backups on a frequent basis. This isn't going to be a Half Life server. It'll be more like a Minecraft server and they solved these problems years ago.

And Squad: Take your time. I've still got plenty to do in 0.23 and it looks like contracts will nearly require a career restart.

i'm sorry but i belive people are worried because see farthest than squad. MP is really a time waster made only for the people who want PvP. ( if your intents are different than that you are already wrong. There will be nothing you could do to prevent the inevitable). So introducind MP will bring weaponry and "alien" all in one. Point 2 aside the really unfriendly time sync, I have problems having a 300 part ship and it become annoyng playing when 1 game sec is 4 real secs how the hell they think there will be a way to coordinate let's say 4 players with a 100/120 parts craft that try to fly closer each other. MP is like something that only few can andle. point 3 if there will be no mods in MP the 90% of the people who is claiming it now will change opinion. Point 4 i don't really think Squad know what is talking about, even graetest company have troubles with MP with simplier games. Point 5 there are too many open doors that need to be closed before proceding wasitng time on such project. Point 6 comparing to the world of mod the vanilla game is really poor of content, i don't know how many people would had left this game if only the vanilla

were inplemented at this state think about it.

And aside all these evidences i'm worried about the MP too.

They are currently looking for a new content designer who "would be in charge of modeling and texturing parts and buildings inside the game" (LINK TO FULL POST). So I think it is coming sooner rather than later.

We already had several content designers. Nova Sillisko, bac9, and Claria Lyrae. Why did Squad fire them all?

We already had several content designers. Nova Sillisko, bac9, and Claria Lyrae. Why did Squad fire them all?

I think you're speculating a bit too much. We don't really know if they were "fired" (I say that because I doubt Squad would ever be disappointing with the work these devs did) or if they just decided to leave for personal reasons such as being too busy. :)

Also, if you go to KSP's website and go to about, Claira's name is still there.

Edited by Woopert

I think you're speculating a bit too much. We don't really know if they were "fired" (I say that because I doubt Squad would ever be disappointing with the work these devs did) or if they just decided to leave for personal reasons such as being too busy. :)

Also, if you go to KSP's website and go to about, Claira's name is still there.

Tell that to Nova Sillisko.

NovaSilisko left because of "personal reasons", bac9 also left on his own "to work on other projects" and Claira is still on the team (but time she can spend helping the team is limited). So no... they weren't fired.

Edited by jcraft

Its funny how a lot of people don't like the fact that they are implementing multiplayer, to me its the single most wanted thing. Playing with other people is sooo much more fun than playing alone. When KSP MP hits the street, ill be all over the game again. Being able to build a moon base with friends, making space stations and so on, is for me a thing that will make this game complete, after that they can start adding more parts n' stuff.(Fixing stuff like lag issues / performance stuff and getting 64 bit running is ofc always on the top of the list).

i myself am STILL ultra super mega hesitant about KSP multi player, while, yes, I know a LOT of players are over joyed at the idea, I myself, not so much so, but thats because of prior MP experiences. Until I see concrete proof of how its gonna work, consider me, if it were a go-no go poll as no go.

I happen to agree with you. i don't see how multiplayer can add much to the overall game. it's not like it's a competitive player vs player game.

Getting multi's mechanics worked out a little is good. Means that later when they want to add it for real, they already have a base part to build it on and don't have to take apart the whole rocket just to put it in.

As far as currency/budgets go, I feel the way they should work is a NOT a total amount, but instead a per-vehicle amount. As in, you can only use so much currency or budget on any single rocket or spaceplane. So if you have 20k, you can build a ship with up to 20k worth of parts. And then you can do so again. And again. Once you complete contracts or do something that otherwise increases this cap, you can build and launch more expensive ships (i.e. ships that are either bigger, or which have better and more efficient/advanced parts). I don't want to have to worry about running out of money.

However, there could be modifiers to your current cash availability based on various events. For instance, if a rocket with a nuclear part crashes or if some kerbals die, you might suffer a temporary penalty for some time as a form of PR backlash. If Kerbals have newspapers, you could even have one appear to denounce dangerous rockets. Likewise, temporary boosts may be gained through certain events too. There could also be randomized events for this too that aren't directly related to your performance. Plus, just think of all the fun Squad could have making those newspaper covers, and the fun we'd eventually have reading them. A great way to add more enjoyment and even flesh out the Kerbals and their world a bit to boot.

I also think it would be cool if you could actually purchase/upgrade the buildings at the space center in some way (using either science, or some third currency apart from the science and budget stuff). For instance, there could be two or three "levels" of runway, and upgrading it would improve length and material a bit. Upgrading a construction building could increase the dimensions of what you build there. Getting certain structures may allow for special parts to be used. For instance, a large power station could allow for special propulsion parts to be used like vessels where ground-based lasers supply heat ablate the bottom of the vessel for propulsion (this is a bit out there, mind you, but mods could easily add their own buildings and structures to build).

For the sake of mods AND just making KSP that much more interesting, it would be nice if you could physically choose where the building or facility is placed when you get it, within the boundaries of the KSC (its also for the sake of mods because you won't need to worry about physical location conflicts that way for different mods that add a special building of some sort).

Edited by Ryu Gemini

I happen to agree with you. i don't see how multiplayer can add much to the overall game. it's not like it's a competitive player vs player game.

seems not to be a problem... if you don't like... just don't play multiplayer, right? and let the opportunity to other players to play with... no?

I'd like to play with my friends... building stuff together, coordinate space programs, collaborate... I think it would be limting don't implement multiplayer in this incredible game.

Its funny how a lot of people don't like the fact that they are implementing multiplayer, to me its the single most wanted thing. Playing with other people is sooo much more fun than playing alone. When KSP MP hits the street, ill be all over the game again. Being able to build a moon base with friends, making space stations and so on, is for me a thing that will make this game complete, after that they can start adding more parts n' stuff.(Fixing stuff like lag issues / performance stuff and getting 64 bit running is ofc always on the top of the list).

MP means that I can finally use the VAB while I launch while I dock all on one box in multiple windows on multiple monitors.

I could probably run about 5 copies of KSP on my machine before it started to lag...

I`d still like resources at some point though. I`ve reloaded kethane again and it`s still fun.

I can't speak for the others, but there is still a lot of stuff to implement in the single player version, multi-player adds a lot of complication and diverts resources, I'm not saying don't do it just get some other things going first...before opening the multi-player can of worms. I agree MP can also be useful for single players, but really the Kerbal system needs to have a viable economic reason for expanding into it other wise the Kerbals will get bored exploring their system and cancel their space program (i.e. once you have explored everything it just becomes a matter of building bigger and better ships to do what? Rescue any stray Kerbals out there? Mine some kethane?...to what end...hard to imagine kethane alone being enough to justify an expensive space program). And what do you get in MP you get people chasing each other in rocket ships and visiting each other's space stations how long is that really going to keep your interest?

As much as I loved flight simulator and hated when further development was stopped I can see why it happened...for most people just flying around gets boring fairly fast once you've mastered the skills, then what? It needed more scope, some people tried running commercial airplane cooperatives and such but without it being built into the game it wasn't an answer for most people and they tried a half-hearted attempt to add adventures but the game needed some major improvements to do these properly.

MP means that I can finally use the VAB while I launch while I dock all on one box in multiple windows on multiple monitors.

I could probably run about 5 copies of KSP on my machine before it started to lag...

I`d still like resources at some point though. I`ve reloaded kethane again and it`s still fun.

I can see "Nassault" making use of this technique ;)

On a side note, some people mention the inevitable use of multiplayer for "PvP" sorts of things.

But I for one am looking forward to a different possibility, even if its slim:

Several people with the Infernal Robotics mod piloting vehicles that transform and combine into a single and possibly even functional giant robot mecha. You know, power rangers/voltron/etc style.

On a side note, some people mention the inevitable use of multiplayer for "PvP" sorts of things.

But I for one am looking forward to a different possibility, even if its slim:

Several people with the Infernal Robotics mod piloting vehicles that transform and combine into a single and possibly even functional giant robot mecha. You know, power rangers/voltron/etc style.

Dammit, now I've got to try to put something like this together. You fiend.

Of course, the only good "PVP" will ALSO be on servers with Infernal Robotics (unless stock gets something like it by then).

It will, of course, be a kerbin equivalent to Battle Bots. People will make rovers with things like hammers and shields and stuff, and drive around whacking each other over the head with them. It would basically be in the same concept as actual Battle Bots, where the goal is to build and design the best battle bot you can and operate it the best you can. You could even see rule sets, such as ones forbidding "ranged weapons" (i.e. attaching rockets to I beams or other structural pieces and firing them at each other). Which is just as well because lets face it, anything outside a dedicated weapons mod's parts is questionable to aim and use properly in that regard, and true weapons tend to be against the ideals of the game's designers and many players.

That said, I am sure that kerbals would LOVE to bash remote controller rovers against each other as a past time (some likely would even enjoy bashing manned- er, Kerbaled, rovers against each other). In fact, I could even see it as being a sport of sorts that the Kerbal Space Center hosts and broadcasts, using the revenue for funding their missions.

Infernal Robotics is pretty much necessary though, unless stock parts like theirs get added by the time multiplayer is launched (remember, they are only putting in the foundations right now, so they can add it at a later time).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to be the negative one but how is MP going to work when there is still a major issue with part count, lag and performance in single player. Why not focus exclusively on those issues before even adding new content or expanding on the game play.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want to be the negative one but how is MP going to work when there is still a major issue with part count, lag and performance in single player. Why not focus exclusively on those issues before even adding new content or expanding on the game play.

The part count lag is a result of Unity (KSP's game engine) using an older version of PhysX (it's 2.8.x IIRC) and one does not simply rewrite a whole game engine. We probably won't get major performance boosts until Unity is upgraded to PhysX 3+, which won't happen for a while.

OMG just found the most amazing post guys. Remember when Squad used to do updates? Those were the days.

The sarcasm is strong with this one. :cool:

OMG just found the most amazing post guys. Remember when Squad used to do updates? Those were the days.

I literally don't understand what you're saying here. Are you reminiscing about the good old days when they used to make posts like this one? This post is like a month old. That's not "good old days" by any means. Or are you saying this post is bad and you want better updates like they used to do in the good old days?

:confused:

I literally don't understand what you're saying here. Are you reminiscing about the good old days when they used to make posts like this one? This post is like a month old. That's not "good old days" by any means. Or are you saying this post is bad and you want better updates like they used to do in the good old days?

:confused:

It is the good ole days....in interwebz terms. Anything older than the persons last visit might as well be a million years old by now. Of course it is midnight and my insomnia is making me a bit more moody so I think I will try and sleep :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.