[WIP] Universal Storage

KSP v1.0.5 32-bit, Win7 64-bit, 12GB RAM, Universal Storage 1.1.0.8

I've been trying yet another career save (I'm getting really frustrated with not being able to advance beyond the first 15 or so contracts without something going wrong) and, without my doing anything to the install, all of a sudden the Universal Storage parts no longer show up.  Consequently, my three probes with US parts aren't loaded at the start and one to-be-rescued Kerbal has disappeared.  I have no idea if this is caused by US or not but they're the only parts that are flagged as missing.

I've scanned the output_log in the hopes of finding something useful but I really don't know what to look for.  I've uninstalled US via CKAN and deleted the US directory and then reinstalled but it still happens.

Any advice?

output log

12 hours ago, Brigadier said:

KSP v1.0.5 32-bit, Win7 64-bit, 12GB RAM, Universal Storage 1.1.0.8

I've been trying yet another career save (I'm getting really frustrated with not being able to advance beyond the first 15 or so contracts without something going wrong) and, without my doing anything to the install, all of a sudden the Universal Storage parts no longer show up.  Consequently, my three probes with US parts aren't loaded at the start and one to-be-rescued Kerbal has disappeared.  I have no idea if this is caused by US or not but they're the only parts that are flagged as missing.

I've scanned the output_log in the hopes of finding something useful but I really don't know what to look for.  I've uninstalled US via CKAN and deleted the US directory and then reinstalled but it still happens.

Any advice?

output log

Could you upload KSP.log too, straight after a crash? It's a bit easier to read and might shed a bit more light on the issue. I'm a little out of practice reading logs, and your output.log is massive :)

2 hours ago, Daishi said:

Could you upload KSP.log too, straight after a crash? It's a bit easier to read and might shed a bit more light on the issue. I'm a little out of practice reading logs, and your output.log is massive :)

Thanks for helping but I seem to have solved the problem (well, more like it disappeared by itself).  I use S.A.V.E. to backup my games and I reverted to an earlier version.  Poof...the parts are back, my craft have returned and the Kerbal is awaiting rescue.  I've lost some progress but nothing catastrophic that would make me throw the game out the window.

I have no idea what happened.  My KSP.log file has, therefore, been overwritten so I can't be of any more help but I will remember to capture it in the future.

Your last comment begs the question, is my output.log file supposed to be that big?  Should it be smaller?  I have 54 mods installed, which doesn't seem excessive, but I'm still new at this game.

Finally, thanks to Kingtiger for the great mod.  I've enjoyed the better looking rockets.  I'm not very far into the tech tree so I'm looking forward to seeing more of it soon.

1 hour ago, Brigadier said:

Thanks for helping but I seem to have solved the problem (well, more like it disappeared by itself).  I use S.A.V.E. to backup my games and I reverted to an earlier version.  Poof...the parts are back, my craft have returned and the Kerbal is awaiting rescue.  I've lost some progress but nothing catastrophic that would make me throw the game out the window.

I have no idea what happened.  My KSP.log file has, therefore, been overwritten so I can't be of any more help but I will remember to capture it in the future.

Your last comment begs the question, is my output.log file supposed to be that big?  Should it be smaller?  I have 54 mods installed, which doesn't seem excessive, but I'm still new at this game.

Finally, thanks to Kingtiger for the great mod.  I've enjoyed the better looking rockets.  I'm not very far into the tech tree so I'm looking forward to seeing more of it soon.

I made it too ;)

And you're welcome - here's hoping these new parts will make thinks look better still in version 2.0.

The output logs size is really just based on how long you've been playing in that career save, and how many interactions the game has recorded (either between mods, external savegame managers, or just the base game talking to itself). I've seen 20meg+ ones before so yours isn't too bad!

1 hour ago, Daishi said:

I made it too ;)

And you're welcome - here's hoping these new parts will make thinks look better still in version 2.0.

The output logs size is really just based on how long you've been playing in that career save, and how many interactions the game has recorded (either between mods, external savegame managers, or just the base game talking to itself). I've seen 20meg+ ones before so yours isn't too bad!

My sincere apologies:blush:; lazily, I simply looked at the OP.  Thanks to you, too!

Re: output log - ok, thanks and good to know.  There's stuff in there that I'm sure indicate something's not working correctly (I search for "error", for example).  However, if the game is working, I tend to leave it alone.

m8vLo8d.gif

Getting closer - decided to install @CobaltWolf 's parts to refine things against. It'll definitely be after 1.1, i've still got to remake all the wedge models. And the switch to Unity 5 is likely going to break every single mod's shaders and everyone is going to have to convert to a new development environment and re-export everything. Going to be a while.

Mil8iTM.gif 

Edited by Daishi

Y3vfNU9.gif
MzfaOMb.png

I'm hoping i'll be able to somehow link the mesh\resource switch module to the career mode tech tree, so things progress gradually and you don't get access to every variant at once. 

Edited by Daishi

Loving it as always @Daishi. One thing problem I always had was I felt like the fuel tank parts had really awful capacities. I assumed it was because there was only so much tank you could fit into one of the wedges. Seeing as a longer tank would utilize the space better (in my mind, since it only have one copy of the valves, etc) would you be able to construct a capable Apollo SM using a 4 stack with two of the wedges devoted to fuel? 

12 hours ago, DocMop said:

Nice!

9 hours ago, akron said:

That's coming along real nice

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Loving it as always @Daishi. One thing problem I always had was I felt like the fuel tank parts had really awful capacities. I assumed it was because there was only so much tank you could fit into one of the wedges. Seeing as a longer tank would utilize the space better (in my mind, since it only have one copy of the valves, etc) would you be able to construct a capable Apollo SM using a 4 stack with two of the wedges devoted to fuel? 

Thanks everyone! @CobaltWolf yeah, the US1 LF tanks aren't the best, so alongside their dry mass reduction (structure being offsourced to the shrouds) we'll try pump up their capacities. Based on this, i'm not sure we could really squeeze enough fuel to reflect similar performance with only wedges, so i'll explore an option to replace the inside of an octocore with fuel too. 

That being said, the CSM really was built around a hex-core structure. So maybe if that was tweakscaled up to 2.5m to match a 3 man command pod, and we tweakscaled the wedges too, it could work. I'll get a new LF tank concept modeled up next and experiment :) 

y6AUXWm.png

So does this work out to be 153152 cubic centimeters, or 153 liters of capacity? Just a double high wedge with the tank scraping the boundaries. It says on the wiki that the density of LF and O is 5kg\L, so that's 30.6 units combined, slightly less than an Oscar-b.  Turn that into a four high wedge and we're looking at the capacity of a Round-8. Doesn't seem right to me. 

18 hours ago, Daishi said:

y6AUXWm.png

So does this work out to be 153152 cubic centimeters, or 153 liters of capacity? Just a double high wedge with the tank scraping the boundaries. It says on the wiki that the density of LF and O is 5kg\L, so that's 30.6 units combined, slightly less than an Oscar-b.  Turn that into a four high wedge and we're looking at the capacity of a Round-8. Doesn't seem right to me. 

Well, if I understood you right, usually fuel tanks are not cylindrical. They have elliptical shape, even if they were installed into cylindrical case. Add a bunch of insulation layers along with structural stuff and actual useful volume becomes much more realistic. Cryogenic tanks(such might become really useful for real fuels) could even have their own temperature control equipment which takes space as well.

On 3/2/2016 at 1:16 PM, KvaNTy said:

Well, if I understood you right, usually fuel tanks are not cylindrical. They have elliptical shape, even if they were installed into cylindrical case. Add a bunch of insulation layers along with structural stuff and actual useful volume becomes much more realistic. Cryogenic tanks(such might become really useful for real fuels) could even have their own temperature control equipment which takes space as well.

Was just a rough estimate for ballpark stock fuel levels :)

Ideally with the changes coming up in 1.1, i'm hoping to turn the cores into cryogenic support systems (heat regulators\radiators\refrigeration units for the pressurized environment within the shrouds) for their corresponding wedges, so the parts that actually contain cryo resources (the hydrogen and oxygen) behave a little more realistically. I'm not sure how to implement it, whether constant electric charge is required to keep the tanks cool, or prevent boiloff, or keep them warm, or something. 

So the bulk equipment kinda exists in the cores, which will help explain their frustrating weight being useful for something. And now that the shrouds are becoming the aerodynamic protection, i could just peel back the dry mass weight of the tanks and reduce their resilience to knocks, so they become a little more delicate but more worthwhile to use with their capacities. 

@CobaltWolf Also mucked around with the IS fuel and mesh switcher for the octocores, and gave them the option to forgo the crew access hatch for modest internal tankage. Unfortunately i don't think i can include both a height toggle as well as an individual structure\fuel toggle, so there's likely to be two variants of octo and hex cores; one (probably early tech) structure only and one with late-tech fuel. 

The fuel core at quad height contains roughly the same amount as a FL-T200 Fuel Tank (it matches it's height) with a dry mass of 0.82 tons and a total mass of 2 tons when fully fueled. Attach six four-high fuel tanks around it (leaving two bays for science and batteries and stuff) adding 10kg of dry mass each with the (to be nerfed) capacity of a FL-T100, and you can get a thousand or so DV when they are paired with a 3man capsule and a poodle, or 3k just hauling themselves.

If you use a hex core alongside a 2.5m tweakscale version of the wedges and the shrouds, you could probably get away with reasonable-preforming CSM analogue when we get all the numbers right :) 

2v72iWi.png

I really like the Universal Storage mod you made. But I cant download it on CKAN because it uses kerbalstuff as a host, and kerbalstuff has been shut down. Can you please post it on spacedock and link that to CKAN so I can download the mod?

On 3/5/2016 at 2:49 PM, InfiniteAtom said:

I really like the Universal Storage mod you made. But I cant download it on CKAN because it uses kerbalstuff as a host, and kerbalstuff has been shut down. Can you please post it on spacedock and link that to CKAN so I can download the mod?

It's available on SpaceDock  http://spacedock.info/profile/Paul_Kingtiger

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.