Hardcore mode with no saves

Much like some games do it (like mount and blade) you have the option to play it with the possibility to save whenever you want or to let the game save your progress every time something happens. The way it is now in KSP if something goes wrong you can always revert back to the assembly building but I think it would be way more tense if you can't and if something goes wrong with your rocket you either have to try to fix it, land it on kerbal, or launch an improved version after it.

Yea but that's not the same. It would be fun to have the option in the game much like mount and blade where you get to choose if you want to play it with or without the ability to save from the start.

It's EXACTLY the same, except you have to change it in the save file, instead of in the menu.

Nothing's stopping you from simply not using quicksave and revert

Couldn't you just, you know, *not use* saves and reverts? Why change the software so as to disallow something that's already voluntary?

In my experience, the temptation is somewhat strong when the option to quicksave and load exists.

I play FTL sometimes, and in that game it's understood from the beginning that there is no reload; when you die, that's it. For some reason I've never wished that I could reload that game.

It's best if players could make just commit to that decision from the start and eliminate the temptation altogether.

I agree with OP. This should be an option when you start a new career game.

There is a game called X3 Albion Prelude - a sci-fi spacesim, where you can play in "Dead is Dead" mode - which means no saves except autosave on game quit. Fun? Maybe.

But there is a problem: the game is quite buggy. Got a CTD? Your save is dead, start over. Someone accidentally rammed you due to bad pathfinding? Your save is dead, start over. Some weird bug that just ruined your save and you can't load it? You got the idea.

My point is: unless the game is completely free of gamebreaking and savebreaking bugs, "Dead is Dead" mode has no point except being "How long you can evade the bugs" challenge. Let me illustrate: you just completed a science-gathering mission to Joolian moons, you're on your way home, 100m to touchdown at KSC... and CTD. You don't have quicksaves, and your last autosave was made 3 hours ago before initial takeoff. Fun? Yes, if you're masochist. (Of course, you may just quit\launch at important points, but that will defeat the entire idea of "Dead is Dead", right?).

Another fine example is 0.23-0.23.5 save compability problem. Are you ready to lose your entire career due to a bug?

I'm sure it'll eventually be an in-game toggle-able option (because why create options when you're not going to let players use them) but for now the save file gives you the means. All that's missing is the big red "HARDCORE" stamp over your save so you can act like you're better than everyone else.

KSP is pretty stable and if it saves often (like once every 5 minutes) it shouldn't be too much a problem if it does crash. If the Kraken show up it's a different story of course, you can have the perfect rocket with the perfect trajectory only for the Kraken to screw you over but i haven't really seen a lot of problems with it these days.

• 2 months later...

I see a lot of these and give the same advice as Cpt Kipard.

But lately, I thought that this is nonsense. Saves are not the problem. It is reloading, and reverting flight that are. So, why couldn't you ust disable the reverting options, and let the saves do their job : preventing any problemes following a CTD or even the effects of a power failure ?

I have manually disabled all of these things in my save file and haven't had a problem yet.

Once it even crashed but autosaved before I hit the desktop. so I just took off from there.

I see a lot of these and give the same advice as Cpt Kipard.

But lately, I thought that this is nonsense. Saves are not the problem. It is reloading, and reverting flight that are. So, why couldn't you ust disable the reverting options, and let the saves do their job : preventing any problemes following a CTD or even the effects of a power failure ?

Yea you're right. That's more specific. Saving and autosaving isn't a problem (as long as you can't use multiple save slots) but reloading and reverting flights would just suck all the challenge out of the game when there's more to risk than Kerbals.

When you have to worry about popularity and finances it's easy to just take big risks by building a large rocket and if it doesn't work you can just revert the flight and try something else, if you can't revert flights there's more at stake, you can't affort a lot of mistakes and your rockets better work from the first time.

Also (and I find this rather important) there's an actual reason to have a back up plan for if your rocket explodes in mid air but your Kerbals are still alive. Normally you would revert the flight on the spot but without it you would have to take disasters into consideration and build your rockets like that. It adds to the game and in my opinion would be more fun just like I play Mount and Blade in the realistic way (with one save slot and it saves every time you do something). I'm not saying it should be standard but the option for it should be there.

Edited by Crusher8000

Yea you're right. That's more specific. Saving and autosaving isn't a problem (as long as you can't use multiple save slots) but reloading and reverting flights would just suck all the challenge out of the game when there's more to risk than Kerbals.

When you have to worry about popularity and finances it's easy to just take big risks by building a large rocket and if it doesn't work you can just revert the flight and try something else, if you can't revert flights there's more at stake, you can't affort a lot of mistakes and your rockets better work from the first time.

Also (and I find this rather important) there's an actual reason to have a back up plan for if your rocket explodes in mid air but your Kerbals are still alive. Normally you would revert the flight on the spot but without it you would have to take disasters into consideration and build your rockets like that. It adds to the game and in my opinion would be more fun just like I play Mount and Blade in the realistic way (with one save slot and it saves every time you do something). I'm not saying it should be standard but the option for it should be there.

As long as you won't try to force that onto players that actually like going back and reloading things, fine by me

In what way? Start a new game, exit game, edit save file and turn off those options, enjoy.

-Does he know where the save files are stored?

-Does he know what he has to edit in the save file to turn off said features?

-Is he tech-savy enough or curious enough to look for those files?

-Is he willing to tinker with manual game editing?

Don't assume that everyone else knows exactly what to do just because you know what to do.

Don't assume that everyone else knows exactly what to do just because you know what to do.

Good work completely ignoring the gist of the conversation at that point. If OP had a technical problem with the operation, I'm sure he'd have mentioned it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.