[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][Mars Expedition WIP]

Beale

On 4/25/2016 at 9:53 PM, Jack Wolfe said:

Work has begun on the N1-L3. She needs a fair amount of fine tuning. Right now she looks like a skyscraper and steers like one, too.

Wheeeee!!
IFbvsi7.png?1

After catastrophic failure a minor in-flight oopsie, I noticed this. What do I win?
E9MKAvo.png?2

Looks like the alpha map is flipped, will fix.

Nice N1!

On 4/26/2016 at 1:51 PM, lrd.Helmet said:

@Beale I flew this. And I don't have any flipping or any instability. I just fly straight up till 50m/s then tilt over and follow prograde, while making sure at around 10km I'm at about 45 degree tilt.

fOVEYFi.jpg

On 4/26/2016 at 1:55 PM, trooperMNG said:

I don't want to put more mess, but my Proton flies ok (still ultrapowered, reached 150km orbit with an half full 2nd stage). Same for Soyuz. Proton even without fins (Tried with 1st stage AIF-1, 2nd stage A-UZ8 tank+A-HOT engine, 3rd stage A-FWA tank+A-MW5 engine, full TKS spacecraft as payload). One bug that I noticed is at MECO 1st stage the view changed focus, focusing on something way behind the rocket (fixed by itself just before circularizing, tried in every way, map mode, cycling view mode). Soyuz is OK, with 4 otter on central engines and 2x on every strap-on tank. Soyuz configuration was normal (1st stage 4x T-EZS tank and T-92G engine, 2nd stage T-TB1 T-7P5 tanks and T-M4K engine, 3rd stage T-QFT tank and T-M4K engine, Full Soyuz spacecraft payload). Only problem in Soyuz is that the slanted fairing base is useless, because you cannot create straight up fairings with solar panels attached to Soyuz. There's not enough space, the fairing base should be a little bit larger on top

Thanks for the reports, things are still very hard to diagnose right now.

@lrd.Helmet Nice fairings! Where did you get them?

@trooperMNG This problem I'm not sure how to fix. Curved solar panels were too awkward to use in the VAB, but I could make the fairing base wider.

Edited by Beale

21 minutes ago, Beale said:

Thanks for the reports, things are still very hard to diagnose right now.

@lrd.Helmet Nice fairings! Where did you get them?

@trooperMNG This problem I'm not sure how to fix. Curved solar panels were too awkward to use in the VAB, but I could make the fairing base wider.

Those fairings are a texture mod for procedural fairings, made by: Ravenchant. It has some lovely fairings for the black arrow too (too bad the fairing bases don't support 0,9375m)

The irl solarpanels seem not as wide as yours

Spoiler

16668379157_38eb7119b8_o.jpg

Edited by lrd.Helmet

39 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Would someone be kind enough to remind me which part is the mate to the Kontakt docking probe?

Currently, only the Clamp-O-Tron Jr.

60px-Clamp-o-tron_jr.png

I will likely remove the Kontact docking probe in future version of the Fobos Grunt.
Maybe add an actual Kontact docking system to the LOK parts.

7 hours ago, lrd.Helmet said:

The irl solarpanels seem not as wide as yours

Hide contents

16668379157_38eb7119b8_o.jpg

Thanks for the link!

On the solar panels, they should be near perfectly sized in-game, just folded differently. Perspective can be deceiving. 

16 hours ago, Beale said:

Currently, only the Clamp-O-Tron Jr.

60px-Clamp-o-tron_jr.png

I will likely remove the Kontact docking probe in future version of the Fobos Grunt.
Maybe add an actual Kontact docking system to the LOK parts.

Ah! Thank you. That's the last bit I need to have my N1 operational.

Added: Worked a treat! Docking and RCS balance tests complete. Time to kick up some Mun dust.

788bLiM.png?1

Edited by Jack Wolfe
Docking tests complete!

18 minutes ago, kopapaka said:

Fun Tantarés :lol:

screenshot78.jpg?ver=0

Yes! The kopapaka SSTOs return :D 

Can it do re-entry?

I have reduced the Proton ISP a little for next release, I hope that will not spoil your fun.

Edited by Beale

11 hours ago, Beale said:

I cannot agree more. The aerodynamic bugs just make me want to quit all-together. The reports I receive make it seem that everyone is playing a slightly different game.

Could you try delete partDatabase.cfg in KSP root directory, then retry?

Well fry me some onions and slap some steak on em, that worked.  And now for a programmer's favorite saying, why?

15 minutes ago, Deltac said:

Well fry me some onions and slap some steak on em, that worked.  And now for a programmer's favorite saying, why?

The game caches generated drag cubes in this file to speed up load times, etc.

The old proton drag cubes must have been lingering around for you, or there was some other corruption.

By deleting this file, you force the game to generate the drag cubes from scratch and create a new part database file.

Edited by Beale

20 minutes ago, onlinegamesz said:

I really like this mod but is there a way to see which part fits which part to make for example the soyuz? thanks 

go one page back, so you see the parts for Soyuz Spaceship. For Soyuz Launcher type TLV in the searchfield and you see all parts (without radial decoupler).

23 hours ago, lrd.Helmet said:

Those fairings are a texture mod for procedural fairings, made by: Ravenchant. It has some lovely fairings for the black arrow too (too bad the fairing bases don't support 0,9375m)

Thank you for liking them! I'm surprised they work in 1.1 tbh. But I had no problems rescaling the bases to whatever diameter...made a 0.813m one just the other day.

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@lrd.Helmet that rocket looks amazing. I forgot how cool some of @Ravenchant's fairings were.

Basic Fuji port, in contrast to Fuji parachute port.

c0893dc6f4.jpg

0ef8269dfc.jpg

17 hours ago, dlrk said:

Any pics of the IVA? 

There are only a few IVA in the mod, personally I think putting images on display might give the impression that they are more complete.

8 hours ago, onlinegamesz said:

I really like this mod but is there a way to see which part fits which part to make for example the soyuz? thanks 

Last page! :wink: 

IVA work.

A little more success and learning:

• IVA needs some depth between the inner wall and outer wall, this seems like common sense, but didn't matter in the past.
  • How to use depth masking and modelling to connect the outer windows (This is quite tricky, because my windows are not contiguous with the rest of the mesh).

It's not too bad, but still needs some tweaking.
I can say for certain I will not be making an IVA for every part that needs one, as it is just too much work. But having the capsules covered would be a good standard to have.

753850f5f8.jpg
ceeca845b9.jpg
ff29722c61.jpg
53352c534d.png

Bonus placeholder.

65ba1248a8.jpg

Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Basic Fuji port, in contrast to Fuji parachute port.
c0893dc6f4.jpg0ef8269dfc.jpg
There are only a few IVA in the mod, personally I think putting images on display might give the impression that they are more complete.
Last page! :wink: 

1 hour ago, Beale said:

IVA work.

• IVA needs some depth between the inner wall and outer wall, this seems like common sense, but didn't matter in the past.
  • How to use depth masking and modelling to connect the outer windows (This is quite tricky, because my windows are not contiguous with the rest of the mesh).

I can say for certain I will not be making an IVA for every part that needs one, as it is just too much work. But having the capsules covered would be a good standard to have.

753850f5f8.jpgceeca845b9.jpgff29722c61.jpg53352c534d.png65ba1248a8.jpg

Fuji Docking Port: 

• Needs some detail. The parachute port needs something to mark it as a parachute. Stock convention is blue or orange stripes.
  • It would make more sense to make the cover that jettisons be the entire inside area of the docking port within the collar, instead of just the tiny little circle in the center. Seems unlikely you could stuff and deploy an entire parachute through a hole that small.
  • The standard docking port needs a hatch or detail in the center. It doesn't look like a traversable port. Why not try the texture from the fuel tanks there, and make a small window in the center? You could make the window a weak light probe to assist in docking.

IVAs: 

• Make a list of all the IVAs you need to create, and prioritize their creation based on how many parts can share the same IVA models, layouts, and textures. 
  • Soyuz and Progress descent/control blocks can all share the same assets and layout, just sans chairs and some props for Progress. You may not even really need to worry about the neck size.
  • Soyuz and Progress orbital blocks can share the same assets. Less sure if neck-size will be a factor. At most, you'll only need to actual models. Window, chair, and props won't be effected by neck size. 
  • TKS and MAPC capsules can share an IVA I think, but I know MAPC is an unfinished WIP.
  • Cygnus and ATV can share most assets and prop placements. I would make them share textures. Both pressure vessels are manufactured by Thales and look pretty similar except for interior volume. 
  • DOS/FGB station parts can share a lot of textures amongst itself, but because it's such an important set of parts, those IVAs should be really robust and well developed. 
  • Fuji OM/s can all share assets and textures depending on if you make the cupola OM, or the 1.875m parts.

1 hour ago, Beale said:

IVA work.

SNIP

This looks awesome!

10 minutes ago, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Idea: The LK lander! This was the Russian alternitive to the Eagle lander that landed on the moon. Would love to see it in KSP!

Plus the Eagle was just the Apollo 11 LEM name. Also,

>>Trying to pass decadent capitalist mun lander off as glorious people's lunar landing complex.

latest?cb=20120725003904

2 hours ago, Beale said:

IVA work.

753850f5f8.jpg
ceeca845b9.jpg
ff29722c61.jpg
53352c534d.png

Bonus placeholder.

65ba1248a8.jpg

Make IVAs for station parts :D