[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Things are happening]

Beale

1 hour ago, spacecookie said:

Hello almighty loaf, remember me ? :) 

It's been a while, I did a break with KSP for a while, now I am back ! Your work kept evolving during this time and I feel like discovering a brand new " Tantares " mod.

Tantares was a must-have to me one year ago and so is now, I love the new pieces and the revamp of the old ones, screenshots will follow soon :P

Warm welcome back spacecookie!

I look forward to screenshots! :)

Cargo Bay

It's very different! You have the full diameter of 1.875m to store things, rather than the previous small box!

Of course that means the part no longer carries fuel, but I don't think that's an issue (It is always possible to attach fuel radially inside anyway).

70ba042fbe.jpg
646ed91ae4.jpg

6 hours ago, Beale said:

Oh man! That's beautiful, exactly what I imagined (better, really). :) 
I think the material splitting will be the tricky part, but like you say, we have to unlearn things. 
"Useful" Part
The TKS is nearing completion (modelling and texture), now moving to Unity  and in-game.
Soon! – snip –

I've got some ideas on how to split materials with parts. Wings3D has a someone cumbersome system when it comes to managing materials and textures, but it is doable. I'll PM you about it later today.
As for the monopropellant tanks, I wish I had said something earlier, but is there an easy way to make the curved radiator/solar section cover a larger radius of curvature? (Not sure how best to convey it...) They seem a bit narrow, and don't cover enough of the vessel it feels when working with them in the game. Maybe for another time seeing as you've just gotten them done. :P

5 hours ago, Beale said:

TKS
With very little effort the Unity part is complete! In-game and working well! :) 
1a2351b900.jpg76dec59eca.jpg8a6fa01dde.jpg

Lots of variety of interesting textures when looking at the entire craft assembled! It definitely helps spice up the grey-ness of the parts without adding excessive coloring. I like the tiny grid pattern and the texturing on the MonoProp pressure vessels. Very subtle. :)

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Cargo Bay
It's very different! You have the full diameter of 1.875m to store things, rather than the previous small box!
Of course that means the part no longer carries fuel, but I don't think that's an issue (It is always possible to attach fuel radially inside anyway).
70ba042fbe.jpg646ed91ae4.jpg

Ah! One of my favorite parts! So many uses for it.

A thought: Sometimes, you want to be able to attach a decoupler or mating fixture to the back wall of the thing, so you can jettison your payload directly out the doors, right? Currently, with nodes on the top and bottom, and only surface attach on the back wall, which can be funky sometimes due to collider problems, this can be difficult. You usually end up decoupling your payload inline with the cargo bay, (usually violently), and then you have to either have to back the spacecraft off your payload, or maneuver your payload of of the spacecraft if you can. Very frustrating. When you write up the config for it, could you put a Size_0 or Size_1 node on the back wall with the +Y axis facing out the door opening? Perhaps some visual indicators that you can attach a decoupler there to shoot payloads out the doors?

I have an idea for Cygnus... 

Overview: http://websites.isae.fr/IMG/pdf/20120619-heart_update_v02_fmc.pdf

Video Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7B50CrMb-s

Addition:

2RM97G.pngKosmos_1443_return_capsule.JPG

It seems PBR basically does away with the need for alternate colored textures. As long as the underlying texture isn't already a strong color (gray isn't...) then you just change the albedo to the color you want. Obviously, I'd have to mask of sections of the model material to preserve the colors of certain parts, but when using PBR, you pretty much have to do that anyways. Learning things every time I tweak things. 

Also, the metallic map doesn't have to be created from scratch it looks like. You can just use the texture file's alpha channel, and it'll use that to map what's shiny/metal/specular, and what's not. Makes initially getting things to look decent pretty easy without having to rework a ton of stuff. 

Edited by curtquarquesso

5 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

monopropellant tanks, I wish I had said something earlier, but is there an easy way to make the curved radiator/solar section cover a larger radius of curvature? (Not sure how best to convey it...) They seem a bit narrow, and don't cover enough of the vessel it feels when working with them in the game. Maybe for another time seeing as you've just gotten them done. :P

I have an idea for Cygnus... 

Overview: http://websites.isae.fr/IMG/pdf/20120619-heart_update_v02_fmc.pdf

Video Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7B50CrMb-s

Addition:

It seems PBR basically does away with the need for alternate colored textures. As long as the underlying texture isn't already a strong color (gray isn't...) then you just change the albedo to the color you want. Obviously, I'd have to mask of sections of the model material to preserve the colors of certain parts, but when using PBR, you pretty much have to do that anyways. Learning things every time I tweak things. 

Also, the metallic map doesn't have to be created from scratch it looks like. You can just use the texture file's alpha channel, and it'll use that to map what's shiny/metal/specular, and what's not. Makes initially getting things to look decent pretty easy without having to rework a ton of stuff. 

Many thanks for the kind words :)

Cargo Bay Decoupler

I did notice this when deploying the Prospero, there is a lot more space now, but still issues on separation.

MonoSolarPropellant

This is probably possible, texture space is tight, but if the surface of the radiator is double in width, the current UV map for the solar cell can represent half of the surface (and then mirror). Does that make sense? :confused:

Cygnus

That's really groovy. I think that needs to happen. It seems inflatable heat-shields may be the future, no?
But, I am not sure how to animate anything like that, I guess regular scale transforms could do it.

PBR

Beautiful! Do you have a method for creating the bump maps so quickly? I've been taking a quite painstaking process of:

Panel Layers from base texture -> Build Height Map -> Transfer into normal map.

The Albedo colours is very interesting, nice find!

RGB Gemini

bc1bee2233.jpg
bface7cc5a.jpg
87b36413f8.jpg

NEW TKS Beta

Fixed several small bugs, and changed one of the models, see if you can spot the difference :wink: 

Download

0f57ce1f7f.jpg

Edited by Beale

45 minutes ago, Beale said:

Many thanks for the kind words :)

Cargo Bay Decoupler
I did notice this when deploying the Prospero, there is a lot more space now, but still issues on separation.

MonoSolarPropellant
This is probably possible, texture space is tight, but if the surface of the radiator is double in width, the current UV map for the solar cell can represent half of the surface (and then mirror). Does that make sense? :confused:

Cygnus
That's really groovy. I think that needs to happen. It seems inflatable heat-shields may be the future, no?
But, I am not sure how to animate anything like that, I guess regular scale transforms could do it.

PBR
Beautiful! Do you have a method for creating the bump maps so quickly? I've been taking a quite painstaking process of:
Panel Layers from base texture -> Build Height Map -> Transfer into normal map.

The Albedo colours is very interesting, nice find!
RGB Gemini

bc1bee2233.jpgbface7cc5a.jpg87b36413f8.jpg

Mono/Solar Propellant:
Yep. Perfect sense. One day, just not today. Heh. 

Cygnus HIAD:
Definitely a bit futurey, but not overly so. I mean, it seems Kerbal-kind has mastered high-thrust solar-electric propulsion, and can safely operate nuclear engines, so I'd say inflatable heat shields aren't out of their ability. Plus, I think it was @RoverDude who teased an inflatable heat shield due for 1.1. It's neat, but I'm thinking about something low-profile, and compact. I won't be getting around to it for a little while here, but I'm doing to start mocking up some of the basic shapes in Wings and see how it all works out. 

PBR:
In fact I do! CrazyBumpFor Windows and OS X. Lucky me. It's super quick, but doesn't offer a ton of control, like you'd get with a normal map editing program. Works great on everything but things with caution stripes. For some reason, when it sees a caution stripe, it digs a bottomless trench in the map. It can be compensated for, but I'm not sure how you get it to ignore that stuff. Perhaps just turn off the layer with the caution stripes on it in photoshop, export, normal-map, then revert. Make sure when you choose a file to import as a photo to normal map, (or whatever-else-map) that you choose a .png, not the .psd. If you choose the .psd, it'll read the alpha channel, and you'll get bad results. 

One more. I swear this is the last one, even though this is technically the wrong thread...

3S2mDj.png

I'll have to ask @DangerouslyDave how he did the windows on his capsule revamps. No matter what I do with the sliders, I can't get them to look like glass. I think it's either that they're already diffused mapped with a color, or that when they're opaque, you'll never really make it look like glass.

Edited by curtquarquesso

49 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

In fact I do! CrazyBumpFor Windows and OS X. Lucky me. It's super quick, but doesn't offer a ton of control, like you'd get with a normal map editing program. Works great on everything but things with caution stripes. For some reason, when it sees a caution stripe, it digs a bottomless trench in the map. It can be compensated for, but I'm not sure how you get it to ignore that stuff. Perhaps just turn off the layer with the caution stripes on it in photoshop, export, normal-map, then revert. Make sure when you choose a file to import as a photo to normal map, (or whatever-else-map) that you choose a .png, not the .psd. If you choose the .psd, it'll read the alpha channel, and you'll get bad results. 

One more. I swear this is the last one, even though this is technically the wrong thread...

3S2mDj.png

I'll have to ask @DangerouslyDave how he did the windows on his capsule revamps. No matter what I do with the sliders, I can't get them to look like glass. I think it's either that they're already diffused mapped with a color, or that when they're opaque, you'll never really make it look like glass.

Great tip! Thanks!

The X-1 looks great! Really classic look :)

I think for the windows I am almost certain there is a standard way to do reflections in PBR, let me have a look.
There would be required some kind of generic reflection map, that looks good in all situations (on ground, in space, etc...).

10_irradiance_02a.jpg

I'm not sure I can get enough of the PBR either :wink: 

750d00a6b2.jpg

One more small part.

46a99630b5.jpg

Edited by Beale

23 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@curtquarquesso: Just curious, do you plan on updating the craft files or tweak scale configs?

Craft files are a lost cause for now. I can't even keep myself happy with them. Maybe some day.
TweakScale configs, absolutely. I'll try to push an update, but there shouldn't be much in Tantares that can't be scaled right now. Have any specific requests for things you want to be scaleable?

11 minutes ago, Beale said:

Great tip! Thanks!
The X-1 looks great! Really classic look :)

I think for the windows I am almost certain there is a standard way to do reflections in PBR, let me have a look.
There would be required some kind of generic reflection map, that looks good in all situations (on ground, in space, etc...).

10_irradiance_02a.jpg

One more small part.

46a99630b5.jpg

Hmm. I'll guess we'll just have to wait what the 1.1 Porkjet-styled windows look like.  

9 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

TweakScale configs, absolutely. I'll try to push an update, but there shouldn't be much in Tantares that can't be scaled right now. Have any specific requests for things you want to be scaleable?

Some of the fuel tanks for Progress. and the Soyuz launchers

22 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

I've tried myself, several times, to scale the Soyuz/R7 parts up to 1.875m and failed every time. Some solution to this would be incredible.

Potential to put to you guys!

Gemini remake, I will make the parts for BDB (I.E. remove the parts from Tantares).

BDB is already much better suited to accommodate it (wide selection of 1.5m parts and already existing Titan launch vehicles).

Thoughts?

36 minutes ago, Beale said:

Gemini remake, I will make the parts for BDB (I.E. remove the parts from Tantares).

BDB is already much better suited to accommodate it (wide selection of 1.5m parts and already existing Titan launch vehicles).

Thoughts?

I like the Gemini capsule at 1.875 m.  I think there is enough parts across mods for 1.875 to feel like a common size.  The 1.5 m size feels like a kit since it isn't common. 

I think your Gemini at 1.875 m is perfect, especially since we get the 2.5 m big G. 

1 hour ago, Thraken said:

I like the Gemini capsule at 1.875 m.  I think there is enough parts across mods for 1.875 to feel like a common size.  The 1.5 m size feels like a kit since it isn't common. 

I think your Gemini at 1.875 m is perfect, especially since we get the 2.5 m big G. 

Big G actually still scales to 2.5m, terrifyingly. It's REALLY big compared to the pod.

1.5m is actually very common in BDB, and we have about the same support for the size as 1.875m. It's a very useful size for things like Thor.

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Thoughts?

I don't have a ton of time to embellish, BUT LET ME HELP PLEASE. I've worked a long time on how to do Gemini. I can mockup the appropriate scales, and sizes tonight. Don't set anything in stone just yet. I'll report back in a little while...

Personally i want the Gemini to be 1.875, to .750 at the top, with the docking adapting going from .75 down to .625 and being about 1.5 meter tall. That ends up pretty close to scale. I would also like to see the windows be a bit close to the real thing for better forward visibility. I am very excited to see how this comes out as I have been waiting for the Gemini redo since talk about it started so many months ago. :) Maybe a nice Rpm but preferably aset iva :D 

T A N T A R E S 33
A separate post for the LES was not a very good idea,because the release is ready now on Curse and KerbalStuff.

The two 1.25m ports were removed, as they no longer serve a purpose (The end of the TKS docking and service compartment is now a 0.9375m attachment point).
Similar ports may emerge in the future as CBMs, etc.

• - TKS Overhaul
  • - Removed Alnair_Port_A*
  • - Removed Alnair_Port_B*
  • - Reduced thrust on Alnair_Engine_B

*Craft-Breaking!

Any bugs or feedback, let me know :) 

dancebreak-1452701990.gif

8 minutes ago, Beale said:

T A N T A R E S 33
A separate post for the LES was not a very good idea,because the release is ready now on Curse and KerbalStuff.

The two 1.25m ports were removed, as they no longer serve a purpose (The end of the TKS docking and service compartment is now a 0.9375m attachment point).
Similar ports may emerge in the future as CBMs, etc.

• - TKS Overhaul
  • - Removed Alnair_Port_A*
  • - Removed Alnair_Port_B*
  • - Reduced thrust on Alnair_Engine_B

*Craft-Breaking!

Any bugs or feedback, let me know :) 

dancebreak-1452701990.gif

Perhaps, but they did use bigger docking ports for the coupling between MIR sections and ISS Russian sections...

1 hour ago, MK3424 said:

Perhaps, but they did use bigger docking ports for the coupling between MIR sections and ISS Russian sections...

I'm not sure they did, still sad to see the 1.25m docking ports go. Now if I need to dock at 1.25m I'll have to resort to the awful stock one (they are so ugly). I suppose I will just re add them from an earlier version.

EDIT: I meant to ask this awhile ago but as it is release day there is no better time. I have been wanting to make sure that the RemoteTech config is up to date and as robust as it can be. Anyone who runs Tantares AND RemoteTech please be on the lookout for parts that don't work right, and let me know if you find one so I can fix it.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

4 hours ago, MK3424 said:

2 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I'm not sure they did, still sad to see the 1.25m docking ports go. Now if I need to dock at 1.25m I'll have to resort to the awful stock one (they are so ugly). I suppose I will just re add them from an earlier version.

EDIT: I meant to ask this awhile ago but as it is release day there is no better time. I have been wanting to make sure that the RemoteTech config is up to date and as robust as it can be. Anyone who runs Tantares AND RemoteTech please be on the lookout for parts that don't work right, and let me know if you find one so I can fix it.

I'm not sure on the size used, but I think it is largely similar, no?

@Foxxonius Augustus I think the included config is most recent, any way for me to check? :) 

Proton

So I am revamping this launcher, but I think the current proportions are wrong.

• Maintain compatibility with old saves, keep wrong proportions?
  • Make more accurate proportions?

The Proton is probably one of the few remaining craft that is in the wrong proportions, all others now are very accurate I think.

Misc.

Found a neat little trick to discover all the images of Andegraf in full resolution! So useful! :) 

d423cfadd5.jpg
4852d2fad5.jpg

Edited by Beale