[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

6 minutes ago, Berlin said:

He has a 1.1 prerelease version out currently if you scroll up a little. It's actually right above your last post on this page. How you missed it,  I'll never know

Yeah thanks I've seen it earlier. But magico13 said it was not meant for normal playing and could potentially break savegames. So...

oh come on, don't make me feel guilty because of checking! lol

7 minutes ago, atomontage said:

Yeah thanks I've seen it earlier. But magico13 said it was not meant for normal playing and could potentially break savegames. So...

oh come on, don't make me feel guilty because of checking! lol

It has been working fine for me.  If you don't trust it make a backup of you save and test it out. 

1 hour ago, Berlin said:

It has been working fine for me.  If you don't trust it make a backup of you save and test it out. 

I've also been waiting for an official update release, don't want to risk getting invested in a career game and having breaking bugs, but I've played with this mod so long, I literally can't play without it. Game just feels broken and cheaty. instant build ships? pffft what's up with that? ;P

I think at this point all the upgrade to 1.1 bugs have been worked out, but there are still old bugs present. The pre-release should be pretty safe to use. I might try to get some more bug fixes in before I do the official release.

7 hours ago, magico13 said:

I think at this point all the upgrade to 1.1 bugs have been worked out, but there are still old bugs present. The pre-release should be pretty safe to use. I might try to get some more bug fixes in before I do the official release.

::grins manically::  yay

11 hours ago, vardicd said:

I've also been waiting for an official update release, don't want to risk getting invested in a career game and having breaking bugs, but I've played with this mod so long, I literally can't play without it. Game just feels broken and cheaty. instant build ships? pffft what's up with that? ;P

I started a few career games but actually had to impose an artificial limit on myself.  After making it to the mun I look at my clock and it's Day 15.  I'm like..  WTF.  So I started time warping after each launch to keep sane.  Yea instant build feels weird.  Plus I lose my only reason to build SSTOs eventually and that's as quick launch rescue ships.

hello magico13
ive downloaded the KerbalConstructionTime_1.3.3-pre2 tried it, but i think the research time and building time is not working..
ive checked if the buttons are enabled, they are.

but somehow, when i research or upgrade a building, they finish after i press the button..

edit,made a clean install, it somehow is working with no problems, maybe a conflict with other mod..
ill investigate more.. :)

yep, its the stagerecovery, was not able to update it.. now its all working fine together.. :)

Edited by yanzco

KCT is working very well so far.  So should I be using KRASH for sims or is it ok to use the built-in sim?  I know it's going to be integrated later on.  Do they behave together?  I haven't run a sim yet (I'm going for a hardcore playthrough and forcing my Kerbals to test rockets, but plan on running sims later for planetary landings)

Just now, autumnalequinox said:

KCT is working very well so far.  So should I be using KRASH for sims or is it ok to use the built-in sim?  I know it's going to be integrated later on.  Do they behave together?  I haven't run a sim yet (I'm going for a hardcore playthrough and forcing my Kerbals to test rockets, but plan on running sims later for planetary landings)

If possible use KRASH so it can get more testing and we can figure out if anything really needs changed in either mod to make them play nicely together. Using the KCT simulations is fine as well, but they might not be around in future updates so don't rely on them too much. Honestly I haven't really gotten to play much since 1.0.4 so I haven't tested KRASH myself, so I'm not sure how well they work together. Nobody has said anything that makes me think they don't play nicely together though, in fact most comments I've seen seem to like the split.

3 hours ago, autumnalequinox said:

I haven't used the KCT simulations, but KRASH works more or less ok. But they do have some issues with simulation start and termination (e.g., sometimes you think it's stopped while the sim is in fact going on).

34 minutes ago, garwel said:

I haven't used the KCT simulations, but KRASH works more or less ok. But they do have some issues with simulation start and termination (e.g., sometimes you think it's stopped while the sim is in fact going on).

Yes, I've noticed similar. Although I click the terminate button and exit to KSC, I find at some point later that I am still in the simulation. Seems the only way to completely stop the simulation is to recover the vessel, but even then I'm not sure. Not sure if this just a KRASH issue or the interaction with KCT as well.

I installed the pre-release version of this MOD for 1.1.  Everything seems to work until I try to launch a rocket.  It will not assign any kerbals to the rocket.  I tried several rockets and made sure that Kerbals were assigned in the VAB (which I know should not matter)  and when I use KCT to launch, I use the MOD's pop up dialog to assign a pilot, and when the launchpad scene loads... there is my rocket... but no Kerbals on board.  I tried unassigning and reassigning.  I tried auto assign.  Nothing seems to work.  Starting a new game from scratch doesn't help either.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I know it is likely a bug with another MOD, but thought I would see if this might have been detected before. 

7 hours ago, Benno said:

Yes, I've noticed similar. Although I click the terminate button and exit to KSC, I find at some point later that I am still in the simulation. Seems the only way to completely stop the simulation is to recover the vessel, but even then I'm not sure. Not sure if this just a KRASH issue or the interaction with KCT as well.

To me it doesn't seem that it's actually running the sim though, it's just showing the sim interface?

This happens to me occasionally when I terminate a sim, then build the ship and launch it with KCT. It will then show a cost in the upper right, and also when I press escape it will show the KRASH buttons. If I then just press "Terminate" again it will remove all KRASH UI's though, and keep on playing as normal. Also, I don't think i've lost any money doing this.

Anyway, it doesn't appear to affect actual gameplay.

I have also not tried this without KCT, so not sure if it's just a KRASH bug or if it's in the interaction between the mods.

@magico13 As for replacing the built in sim with KRASH, I think this would be good. I quite like the dynamic costs of the simulations, where it just keeps ticking up. Means I only "pay for what I get" so to speak.

Only things I don't like with KRASH is their UI. It's not very nice looking to be completely honest, but that is a discussion for the KRASH thread.

One interaction I would like to see would be if KRASH is installed, your "Simulate" button was removed, or instead opened the KRASH UI. I keep pressing the wrong thing :)

6 hours ago, NyxKordel said:

I installed the pre-release version of this MOD for 1.1.  Everything seems to work until I try to launch a rocket.  It will not assign any kerbals to the rocket.  I tried several rockets and made sure that Kerbals were assigned in the VAB (which I know should not matter)  and when I use KCT to launch, I use the MOD's pop up dialog to assign a pilot, and when the launchpad scene loads... there is my rocket... but no Kerbals on board.  I tried unassigning and reassigning.  I tried auto assign.  Nothing seems to work.  Starting a new game from scratch doesn't help either.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I know it is likely a bug with another MOD, but thought I would see if this might have been detected before. 

If you are using StageRecovery as well, make sure you are on the latest pre-release. Some people reported the same issue but updating to the latest versions of the pre-releases fixed it.

1 hour ago, nosscire said:

I have also not tried this without KCT, so not sure if it's just a KRASH bug or if it's in the interaction between the mods.

@magico13 As for replacing the built in sim with KRASH, I think this would be good. I quite like the dynamic costs of the simulations, where it just keeps ticking up. Means I only "pay for what I get" so to speak.

One interaction I would like to see would be if KRASH is installed, your "Simulate" button was removed, or instead opened the KRASH UI. I keep pressing the wrong thing :)

KCT and KRASH don't actually talk to each other, so what you're seeing is probably a KRASH bug. KCT does do weird things though, so there's a chance it's KCT induced.

I'm still on the fence about whether I like pay as you go more than pay upfront. I actually run simulations (of polymers) as my research for graduate school (master's thesis submitted and accepted for those of you following along :D), and while I haven't had to use time on a supercomputer (thankfully, it's a bit of a PITA) I do have some idea of how that process works. Essentially you buy time up-front and then submit your jobs which uses up x amount of time (if you submit 1000 [single threaded] jobs and they take 24 hours to run, you use up 24000 core hours of time). I know of people who ran a simulation using up millions of core hours of time only to find out afterward that they messed up their initial conditions and simulated absolutely nothing of interest (I believe they were simulating something travelling through a carbon nanotube, but the thing fell out of the end of the tube right away and just floated around outside of it). So in some sense I like the idea of "I pay for this much time and if I mess up it's my fault" because that's closer to how it actually works. You often can check after some time to make sure things are making sense and cancel them early if they aren't, which is partly accounted for by letting you revert to launch as many times as you want.

It doesn't really matter that much though, cause I don't control how KRASH's simulations work :P

To remove the "simulate" button just go into the KCT settings and disable simulations. That'll be the default when I get around to updating the Presets. That's the next thing on my list.

10 minutes ago, autumnalequinox said:

Wow magico you are in materials science?!  I would so love to pick your brain some day. :)  That stuff facinates me.  

And you really know your sim stuff.  It makes sense.  I like the "mess up and it's my fault" system.

My bachelor's is in physics and my master's is in materials science. But the job I have lined up is in software development. Who knows what will happen in 5-10 years :rolleyes: I enjoy the development side of simulations more than the actual physics side of it, but the physics is still interesting. My knowledge is rather specific to my projects, so if you did have questions I'm not sure I could answer them, but feel free to ask them anyway. I might be able to answer or point you towards some other resources.

Haha sounds familiar.  I was heading for a geology major (had recommendations lined up, a professor at ODU ready to take me under his wing, etc) and then at last second went into IT/networking and now have shifted to software dev (C++).  I still haven't even finished my degree and I'm getting a bit too old for the college scene.  

Software dev is where it's at though and it's awesome you have a job lined up.  

In the medium term I'll probably end up designing computer networks for a colleague's start-up (not my first choice) and hopefully do some software contract work on the side.  

I have some weird ideas about layered composites and smart materials I've been kicking around.  Likely impossible.  I'd be embarrassed to ask you anything until I do some more research myself. :)  But thanks!  Good to know I can bug somebody with real knowledge and maybe get an answer or directed to one.

Is anyone else getting a situation where the vessels are appearing on the Launchpad but without any crew? I tried the 1.2.2-pre2 version and haven't been able to get a manned ship to actually be manned when it appears on the pad.

Edited by EatVacuum

Just now, EatVacuum said:

Is anyone else getting a situation where the vessels are appearing on the Launchpad but without any crew? I tried the 1.2.2-pre2 version and haven't been able to get a manned ship to actually be manned.

I did have it, when I was using the community update of StageRecovery. Once I updated to magico13's official pre-release that fixed it.

Hi all.  Just a quick bug report.  I am having difficulty selecting nodes on the tech tree.  When I am researching a particular node and it is not yet unlocked and I want to select the next node to begin research I am unable to click research.  I can select the node but not select the research button.  I haven't definitively pinned this down to KCT, but this is one of the few mods I have affecting the tech tree.  The community tech tree is the only other mod that I know is affecting the tech tree.

I am using the 1.3.3 pre 2 KCT release.  If anyone else has experienced it or has any suggestions let me know.