[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

A Google search for Ovok revealed this:

http://oddfauna.storenvy.com/products/411617-ovok-eats-you-ovok-eats-you-not-8-5x11-print

A "Woodland Ovok." A creature that seems to have the "soft fur and razor-sharp claws" mentioned in the Tracking Center. I was wondering if this may have been what inspired the name 'Ovok', or if it is just a coincidence.

Also, my first Plockan Moon, Chirkin, has been going well, the the terrain was originally a wee bit too rough compared to the rather smooth Plock, but then I thought it would be great to have a terrain contrast between Plock and Chirkin. I also need to finish my Science Definitions.

Finally, something about the mod even feels better to me now that I know how to pronounce Neidon. Now if I can just get myself to stop saying Laythe as "Lay the"...

just a glitch, all the new bodies (wal,tal) are all missing and sarnus, hale, ovok, urlum, and nedion are all white and have no texture including the rings, is it broke or did i install it wrong?

It works for me, so you have certainly done something wrong; either a misinstall or a conflict with another addon.

Thanks for your welcome everyone. I got a question about Urlum, could there be a way to change its axis of rotation by 90 degrees or simply put its rings to a fictitious north-south axis by CFG edits, making it appears as Uranus ?

I got a question about Urlum, could there be a way to change its axis of rotation by 90 degrees or simply put its rings to a fictitious north-south axis by CFG edits, making it appears as Uranus ?

While it is possible to tilt the rings, axial tilt it is not possible yet. However, Sigma88 has a mod for Urlum that uses texture trickery and stops its rotation to make Urlum seem like it has an axial tilt, as well as putting the moons into polar orbits. It can be found here.

As well as that, Eleusis La Arwall has cloud configurations for Sigma's mod that have clouds on Urlum that move in such a way that Urlum appears to be rotating on a 90 degree axis. Those can be found here.

Hope this helps.

A Google search for Ovok revealed this:

http://oddfauna.storenvy.com/products/411617-ovok-eats-you-ovok-eats-you-not-8-5x11-print

A "Woodland Ovok." A creature that seems to have the "soft fur and razor-sharp claws" mentioned in the Tracking Center. I was wondering if this may have been what inspired the name 'Ovok', or if it is just a coincidence.

Also, my first Plockan Moon, Chirkin, has been going well, the the terrain was originally a wee bit too rough compared to the rather smooth Plock, but then I thought it would be great to have a terrain contrast between Plock and Chirkin. I also need to finish my Science Definitions.

Finally, something about the mod even feels better to me now that I know how to pronounce Neidon. Now if I can just get myself to stop saying Laythe as "Lay the"...

Wow, that's a pretty cool coincidence. Ovok was derived from the Latin word Ovum, which means egg (aka its shape). The K was added because that letter was pretty rare in the actual game, especially at the end of names. There's a lot of fan stuff about Keptune, Kethane, Kopernicus, etc. but in the actual game that letter is pretty much limited to Kerbin and Kerbal. The soft fur, etc. description was based on the inspiration Methone. It's supposed to be made of a fluffy, icy material. There's nothing like a twist, so naturally the mythological being it was based on would look cuddly, but would actually be ferocious.

- - - Updated - - -

just a glitch, all the new bodies (wal,tal) are all missing and sarnus, hale, ovok, urlum, and nedion are all white and have no texture including the rings, is it broke or did i install it wrong?

Try a clean install. Something like that is probably a faulty download or installation.

- - - Updated - - -

While it is possible to tilt the rings, axial tilt it is not possible yet. However, Sigma88 has a mod for Urlum that uses texture trickery and stops its rotation to make Urlum seem like it has an axial tilt, as well as putting the moons into polar orbits. It can be found here.

As well as that, Eleusis La Arwall has cloud configurations for Sigma's mod that have clouds on Urlum that move in such a way that Urlum appears to be rotating on a 90 degree axis. Those can be found here.

Hope this helps.

For those who might be wondering why I didn't adopt this for the actual Urlum, it's because it wasn't realistic enough to my liking. It allows Urlum to be at a 90 degree angle, close to Uranus' real angle, but it wouldn't allow Urlum's moons to be aligned to its equatorial plane. Instead they'd be graphically aligned to the same 0 degree equatorial plane of the other bodies in the Kerbol system. That'd be very unrealistic and would feel too fake for my liking, especially because of Wal's equatorial ridge. It would also have gameplay implications, since achieving a equatorial orbit in reference to Urlum's 90 degree angle would require you to go into an orbit that the game would recognize as polar. That would have issues with mapping or for example getting the boost from launching into an equatorial prograde orbit, like you're used to on Kerbin, the Mun and all the other bodies in stock KSP. If we ever get true axial tilt, this mod will be the first to implement it. According to Squad that might be a tall order, since Unity is not set up for something like that.

For those who might be wondering why I didn't adopt this for the actual Urlum, it's because it wasn't realistic enough to my liking. It allows Urlum to be at a 90 degree angle, close to Uranus' real angle, but it wouldn't allow Urlum's moons to be aligned to its equatorial plane. Instead they'd be graphically aligned to the same 0 degree equatorial plane of the other bodies in the Kerbol system. That'd be very unrealistic and would feel too fake for my liking, especially because of Wal's equatorial ridge. It would also have gameplay implications, since achieving a equatorial orbit in reference to Urlum's 90 degree angle would require you to go into an orbit that the game would recognize as polar. That would have issues with mapping or for example getting the boost from launching into an equatorial prograde orbit, like you're used to on Kerbin, the Mun and all the other bodies in stock KSP. If we ever get true axial tilt, this mod will be the first to implement it. According to Squad that might be a tall order, since Unity is not set up for something like that.

After looking at the files, it seems Sigma made a texture for a tilted Wal (which learning the pronunciation of Neidon has made me paranoid as to whether it and little brother Tal sound like 'wall' and 'tall' or not), however I see your point about the core mechanics of the tilt.

Speaking of Wal, I went against the update's changelog and made a CustomAsteroids config that spawns asteroid around Wal, just for fun. And as a little bit a joke, also made ones where they will spawn in orbits around TAL. That and along with making irregular Sarnian (we established Plockan, so why not Sarnian, shall we?) asteroids able to spawn closer and impact the Sarnian moons, resulted in too much fun.

Also, an image of Plockan moon and Charon analogue Chirkin.

"The largest moon of Plock and first discovered, Chirkin is a wonder to kerbalkind. It is speculated that the view of Plock above is the best in the Kerbol System. Well, second best. The view of Sarnus from Hale will always hold a special place in the hearts of Kerbals."

- The Tracking Center

I usually avoid talking of my stuff here because I don't like to spam it on this thread but I would like make clear a couple of things:

my stuff is not intended in any way as an "improvement" of OPM. this mod is awesome and I would never dare saying something like that :D

honestly, I was curious how much the tilt could have been "simulated" and up untill the moons were released I was pretty happy with the result.

The main issue with the moons is the fact that I cannot change the rotation, so it looks like all the moon rotate retrograde compared to their orbit around urlum.

this said, achieving orbit isn't really much different from normal Urlum, you just need to do the aerobrake manouvre in the right place (I've achieved polar orbits in standard OPM easily, that's the same of an equatorial orbit around tilted_urlum. and vice versa)

As for scanning there shouldn't be any problems for the moons once you get a scanner in a polar orbit (aligned with the ecliptic)

Edited by Sigma88

Here's how I pronounce the names of the OPM bodies, as requested by Akinesis. You can pronounce it any which you want, but this is how I do it:

• Sarnus [the end is pronounced like Terminus], adjective: Sarnusian [like Venusian]
  • Hale [like hail], adjective: Halean
  • Ovok [the end is pronounced like Tuvok], adjective: Ovokian
  • Slate [like slate], adjective: Slatean
  • Tekto [tech + toe], adjective: Tektoan
  • Urlum [the end is pronounced like loom], adjective: Urlumian
  • Polta [like the Polter in Poltergeist, but without an emphasis on the R sound so that it's more of an A sound], adjective: Poltan
  • Priax [the end is pronounced like axe], adjective: Priaxan
  • Wal [like wall, but with the long L sound], adjective: Walian
  • Tal [like tall, but with the long L sound], adjective: Talian
  • Neidon [nigh + don], adjective: Neidonean
  • Plock [the end is like block], adjective: Plockan

Edited by CaptRobau

Hello there! Quick question for a slight hiccup

I've just installed the cloud package for Outer planets for Astronomer's visual pack, and the rings of Sarnus have turned bright white. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks for the awesome stuff!

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answers and explanations Trinzilla and CaptRobau. I thought at first take care of this in "manual" to make some experiments, my only experiences were simple modding of FS9 and SFPs cfg long ago. But the shortcut offered by the "Cloud configurations for Outer Planets Mod" is tempting. I'll try it but probably will return to the original Urlum given that its satellites remain at 90 degrees on its axis.

Thank you for your answers and explanations Trinzilla and CaptRobau. I thought at first take care of this in "manual" to make some experiments, my only experiences were simple modding of FS9 and SFPs cfg long ago. But the shortcut offered by the "Cloud configurations for Outer Planets Mod" is tempting. I'll try it but probably will return to the original Urlum given that its satellites remain at 90 degrees on its axis.

Actually if you use my expansion to OPM it will move the satellites on the right orbit (~90° compared to the ecliptic)

other than the orbits it will change Wal's model to put the ridge on the right plane and change some of the biomes/science defs of priax in order to make them consistent with the new orbit.

what my expansion cannot do is:

- change the navball: coordinates system will not be tilted but this will not affect navigation around the planet

- rotation of Urlum and it's moons: rotation speed (not revolution) are set to zero, because ksp can do "East-West" rotation but not "North-South"

Edited by Sigma88

Hello there! Quick question for a slight hiccup

I've just installed the cloud package for Outer planets for Astronomer's visual pack, and the rings of Sarnus have turned bright white. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks for the awesome stuff!

I think it's best if you ask that in the forum thread of that mod (I assume you got it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/113866-Cloud-configurations-for-Outer-Planets-Mod). It's a separate mod from OPM, not run by me and its dev probably knows how to solve your problem.

Here's how I pronounce the names of the OPM bodies, as requested by Akinesis. You can pronounce it any which you want, but this is how I do it:

• Sarnus [the end is pronounced like Terminus], adjective: Sarnusian [like Venusian]
  • Polta [like the Polter in Poltergeist, but without an emphasis on the R sound so that it's more of an A sound], adjective: Poltan

Lol you've spent so much time and effort in the "Contents" of the OP, you totally should find a place there to post this :)

Ah, so I've only been saying Urlum 'wrong'. I always said Ur-Luhm. I suppose for reference I might add that my Plockan moon Chirkin is pronounced [chur-kin] and my Joolian moon Cotilla as [koe-tilla].

Now if only I could figure out how many syllables are in Laythe...

I always pronounced Neidon "nee-oh-den" XD

Ah, so I've only been saying Urlum 'wrong'. I always said Ur-Luhm. I suppose for reference I might add that my Plockan moon Chirkin is pronounced [chur-kin] and my Joolian moon Cotilla as [koe-tilla].

Now if only I could figure out how many syllables are in Laythe...

Urlum is a bit weird to put into words, how I pronounce it. It's not a long UrLOOOOOM like my pronunciation key might indicate with Urloom, but it's not a short Urlum either. It's right in the middle of that, but I have no idea how to explain that , especially since half of the time I don't know how to pronounce it like that outside of my mind :D

Also I always thought that Laythe was just one, and sounded similar to lathe, but with more a lay sound in there.

This mod previously did, but I recently removed support for it since the CustomAsteroids mod is unsupported by a dev (last version is 0.25). The mod still sort of works, but it has problems that will only grow larger with each new KSP update since there's no dev to update it to modern standards. Problems at the moment include the possibility of asteroids not despawning, resulting in hundreds of asteroids being simulated (bye bye performance) and killing the stock asteroid belt around Dres. If the dev ever returns to update it, or someone else makes something like it I'll support it again, but until then...

Can anyone help me with installation. I have been dragging the file into my game data folder in KSP but i get texture errors and sometimes the mod just doesn't even work. If anyone can help that would be amazing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.