[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

It was by chance that I ran to find the BDB thread the first time: i was running my (long lost) kerbal-comic and I was trying parts to create an "Explorer 1" spacecraft...
... and I found this thread.

Then problems with my old laptop (at the time, it was running on x32 win system) killed any possibility to add "moar mods" and I dropped both in interest and in possibility to both keep doing the comic, and both follow the "improvement" of a part pack tha, actually, I consider "fundamental" like Beale's Tantares.

As CobaltWolf probably noticed, when I could pass to an x64 system, and started to update to 1.1.3 (the first one stable enough to play tons of mods for me), rather than restarting the comic I started to bug here even more.

I follow it like an "user", start to discuss to "some ideas" and then, basically, going to "bug test" (or, probaly, rather, downloading any that the BDB group put on github to have some preview of it). It was probably more fun than playing itself messing with cfg editing and "resolve" the problems, learning even more for myself from CobaltWolf, JSO and VenomousRequiem than any I could have done for them.

... my little part? Being a well committed fan that wanted so much this whole pack that, for speeding things, started in the last days to even be "recruited" as "Minion" of the "Main Master Minds" behind BDB.

And now: HYPE for KSP 1.2 and BDB more than ever!!!!!!!!

Now should I ... well... restart the comic??? Probably... for once I start a new KSP releas for the first day, rather than picking "the right mod packs" when the next is going to be released :P
But for the trio behind BDB will be difficoult to left me aside, now...
... I will be there, always, saying: "BANANAAAAAAA!" as any Minion should do

2 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Okay listen everyone. @legoclone09 and @Rory Yammomoto gather round. If we're moving to the Add-on Releases we've gotta keep things professional. Keep the memes to a minimum. I'm good friends with a couple moderators. :wink:

seriously tho

OK, will do.

I had one prepared, oh well. Stream is always a thing.

Also yay! Congrats for release!

Edited by legoclone09

5 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Congratulations with 1.0!

Can you please explain in detail what does that means? I've used BDB on stock solar system in 1.1.3, and I've never considered it overpowered when compared to stock.

Bdb rockets while shrunk to kerbal size are still to scale with their real world counterparts but even at kerbal scale a rocket the size of redstone could practically put you in orbit because ksp scales it's solar system even smaller than it's rocket parts so in order for bdb rocket to perform how history buffs expect (atlas-mercury puts you in low orbit, while saturn-v takes you to the moon and no further) you need to scale up the solar system, but this doesn't really matter if you sure just flying rockets for fun.

34 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

O9I73vG.png

Today’s the day! The BDB team is happy to present to you the v1.0 release of Bluedog Design Bureau – “Eagle!”.

– parts for advanced Apollo variants, and parts for the S-1E first stage from Eyes Turned Skywards.

Hooray! ETS! I can finally escape to a world without the terrible space shuttle!

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

1 minute ago, passinglurker said:

Bdb rockets while shrunk to kerbal size are still to scale with their real world counterparts but even at kerbal scale a rocket the size of redstone could practically put you in orbit because ksp scales it's solar system even smaller than it's rocket parts so in order for bdb rocket to perform how history buffs expect (atlas-mercury puts you in low orbit, while saturn-v takes you to the moon and no further) you need to scale up the solar system, but this doesn't really matter if you sure just flying rockets for fun.

Hmm, I was never able to achieve orbit with BDB's Mercury-Redstone. Is there some serious rebalance? Or maybe I'm flying my M-R wrong? :D

13 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Okay listen everyone. @legoclone09 and @Rory Yammomoto gather round. If we're moving to the Add-on Releases we've gotta keep things professional. Keep the memes to a minimum. I'm good friends with a couple moderators. :wink:

seriously tho

NEVER! YOU CAN TAKE MY DAMN MEMES WHEN YOU PRISE THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS! AND EVEN THEN GOOD LUCK, BE CAUSE I WILL HAVE GLUED MY MEMES TO MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

2 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Hmm, I was never able to achieve orbit with BDB's Mercury-Redstone. Is there some serious rebalance? Or maybe I'm flying my M-R wrong? :D

M-R does not go to orbit. M-Atlas does.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

2 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Well it's not like I have a fact sheet on hand :P

point is historical rockets balanced against stock go further than history buffs expect so the answer for history buffs who complain is to use a  x3.2 scale solar system

Just now, biohazard15 said:

maybe the BDB version of the redstone is the only that works like it should (it's surelly only suborbital) but going just a little bigger (a Prometheus II- BDB Titan II ounterpart) in stock enviroment could put a Gemini (the Leo capsule) in Munar orbit (or at least in a free-return trajectory to fly-by the Mun and return to Kerbin safely)...

Not counting BDB's Sarnus V: it basically achieve orbit using just the first 2 stages with fuel spared on the S-II, leaving the S-IV-B basically with enough to reach not the Mun, but basically go interplanetary...

37 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

NEVER! YOU CAN TAKE MY DAMN MEMES WHEN YOU PRISE THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS! AND EVEN THEN GOOD LUCK, BE CAUSE I WILL HAVE GLUED MY MEMES TO MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

delete yourself too plz

@CobaltWolf Also probably will donate sometime.

I might throw $5 at you.

I have $1 in my PayPal account right now.

TO YOU!

Edited by legoclone09

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Here’s to BDB, our players, and the KSP community. We’ll see you on the other side.

Congratulations @CobaltWolf and to all the many contributors that helped out along the way! BDB v1.0 is a big step for kerbal kind but one that I think will bring a great deal of joy to everyone who plays the game. BDB can only get better from here and I hope I can continue to help make it so.

On a more personal note. When I first found BDB I was not doing so well, frankly I was in sort of a dark place. Even so, as the mod grew and I saw that it had slowly but surely turned into a community I found myself getting involved. At first it was just a way to fill up my days but it soon became more. I looked up odd old documents, found interesting pictures of long forgotten probes and I even started making sketches of things BDB could use. When I brought these things to Cobalt I could watch him give form to my imagination and that is a powerful thing. After 'Cargo Gemini', as we had been calling it, was done something happened. Without ever mentioning it, Cobalt quietly named the pod that I had imagined 'Augustus'. I can now tell you that it is a rare and wonderful feeling seeing something you helped to make go out into the world. I can only imagine how Cobalt must feel. It has taken months to realize, but looking back it was the moment that I saw my name on that pod that I started to get my life back on track. Thank you Cobalt.

TLDR: BDB saves lives.

And in conclusion... *ahem*  Hype Is Rewarded!

ulp8Ggl.png

For those interested its a S-IC lifting an S-IE lifting an S-IVB lifting Apollo... Block III... :wink:

2 hours ago, Araym said:

... I will be there, always, saying: "BANANAAAAAAA!" as any Minion should do

... Strangely enough, I can entirely echo this sentiment. Congrats on the release, and to many more in the future. O7

but srsly, go catch a nap or something... You earned/deserve it!

BANANAAAAAAAAAAA....

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

One final note – I’ll be PMing the moderators to move this thread to the Add On Releases board. If you can’t find us in our usual place, look there.

Congratulations on an this as much as everything else; while you've had many polished releases, it's still a big moment to have an official v1.0! 

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

6 minutes ago, viveleroi said:

So far, I'm loving this mod! I hope I haven't missed an answer, but the science devices aren't working for me - so either I'm misunderstanding them or there's an issue?

Some of our experiments rely on a plugin that hasn't been updated for 1.2. I decided to make the initial release without it in order to get an official working Saturn/Apollo released for 1.2. I don't have an ETA on when they'll be working full, since it's an external dependency. Sorry. :)