[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

18 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Here you go, the link. I don't make a new folder every time I put in craft files, so I don't know if that changes the link or not. Craft Files and Sub-Assemblies for all that wanted them. I will be gone from tomorrow til at the least Tuesday, so you could keep these on the front page, and I don't know what other rockets I'm making yet. 

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can someone confirm that the links for @Sgt.Shutesie's craft files work? I'll link them in the OP in big bold letters.

The Craft Files link works but the Sub-Assemblies link does not. I says something to the effect of 'folder does not exist'.

All right I'll link the craft files in the OP then.

Streaming again tonight, going to try and actually get the textures done on the engines and the fuel tanks now that everything is UV unwrapped.. Starting somewhere between 6-7 EST.

lol nope I feel like poop

Edited by CobaltWolf

I don't know where else to put this but I need to get it off my chest and after all, it's @CobaltWolf's fault for making such excellent parts. I hate Delta. There I said it. For one thing it was THOR! Delta was just an upper stage that wasn't really at all different from Able. Same tank, same engine the AJ10. So why isn't the whole family called Able? Also don't give me that 'It's a different version of the AJ10' garbage, if that mattered at all then why did Delta A use the AJ10-118 and the Delta E use the AJ10-118E coupled to a tank that wasn't even remotely the same diameter! If it mattered Delta E would have been called Thor Echo/Easy, not Delta. Not to mention there were versions of 'Delta' than didn't even have an AJ10 of any variety! That's all without getting into the first stage. DM-18, DM-19 and DM-21 are very poorly documented, or if they were, than that documentation is no where near as easy to find as it should be. Don't get me started on the solids. Long Tank, Extended Long Tank, Thrust Augmented... I hate Delta, I really do. But... these parts are soooo fun... I need more... I have a problem... *sob* must *sob* stack *sob* more *sob* DELLTAAAAAHAHAAAS

1 minute ago, Jso said:

Lol. You forgot Thorad :)

*Growls*

2 minutes ago, Jso said:

Ablestar is looking like a nice standin for the pre delta k upper stages.

yeah ablestar is an almost perfect stand in for the Delta E upper stage... that flew on Delta E... and Delta F and Delta G and Delta J and Delta N..M...L.... Wernher why have you forsaken me!

Don't forget, more than anything else the Early Thor/Deltas were the original cut'n'shunt rocket design

Need a heavier satellite in GEO?...yeah we'll just add some castors

Not enough burn time?..Lets make a long tank Thor, or how about a bigger upper stage

Early Deltas are one of my favourite rockets, mainly because you don't see that kind of "make it work" stuff since Saturns came on the scene and they were the original lego rocket, and what could be more KSP than that :)

30 minutes ago, Revenant503 said:

Don't forget, more than anything else the Early Thor/Deltas were the original cut'n'shunt rocket design

Need a heavier satellite in GEO?...yeah we'll just add some castors

Not enough burn time?..Lets make a long tank Thor, or how about a bigger upper stage

Early Deltas are one of my favourite rockets, mainly because you don't see that kind of "make it work" stuff since Saturns came on the scene and they were the original lego rocket, and what could be more KSP than that :)

Yeah, that's probably why I can't stop making 'em...

@Foxxonius Augustus my understanding is that the Delta upper stage was more or less a parallel development of Able, then Ablestar, before taking on a life of its own. I also believe that Delta was more or less the NASA variants of the military's Able/Ablestar stages before the military switched to primarily Agena stages. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry about bailing on the stream last night guys. I whacked my head at the gym right before I was going to start. I would up laying in bed for two hours before launching Fallout 4, getting to the title screen, and then rolling over into my bed and falling back asleep. I'll try and stream tonight to make up for it.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Foxxonius Augustus my understanding is that the Delta upper stage was more or less a parallel development of Able, then Ablestar, before taking on a life of its own. I also believe that Delta was more or less the NASA variants of the military's Able/Ablestar stages before the military switched to primarily Agena stages. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong. It's just that the specifics of all the multitude of variants are hard to come by. As an example, did Delta E use DM-18, DM-19 or DM-21 as the basis of its first stage? You can find the answer, it's harder to find than some but you can find it. That's just one question and every single one of those Deltas has 1-4 that have different questions like that, it's a nightmare to sort through. I'll get it though, and then I will have constructed ALL THE DELTAS IN THE WORLD MWAHAHAHA!!!

I like the upper stages but I'm not a huge fan of the 3x symmetry on the first stage. But that's a personal thing - I don't particularly like clusters. Cool video!

EDIT: Also my head is killing me today.

EDIT2: Homework with a headache is hard. So while @Beale is working on the Gemini pod, I took a few minutes to start working on a revamp for the other 2-man pod. Just wanted to see how it would start to look. Back to this paper though!

ktVjW03.png

EDIT3: One more quick edit - just wanted to give a quick plug to @akron over at Coatl Aerospace. I told y'all to keep an eye on him!

Edited by CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, Jso said:

Any chance we can get the tankage removed from the structural adapters and leave them hollow? I'm trying to use the offset tool to make a poor man's interstage adapter but clipping is preventing it.

the other option would be to add fuel to them and move them to fuel tanks... or why not both? Same model and same texture, maybe higher dry mass on the tanks than the structural adapters for balance?

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

1 hour ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

the other option would be to add fuel to them and move them to fuel tanks... or why not both? Same model and same texture, maybe higher dry mass on the tanks than the structural adapters for balance?

The adapters used to all be fuel tanks (which is why they have the tank tops) but the rockets in the mod are already borderline OP as it is.

@Jso just use a procedural fairing. I can repost the configs when I get a chance. Or rather, I should link them in the OP as a separate download.

EDIT: Also for those of you that missed the stream we're taking a short detour to do Castor 120, Castor 30, HAPS and Super HAPS. Because reasons. I'm not sure why. Ben modeled it. Just let it happen. But real talk, once we have those you'll be able to make:

Athena I/II

800px-Athena_2_-_Lunar_Prospector.jpg

The Carrack from Eyes Turned Skywards.

carrack-family.jpg?cache=

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ben modeled it.

I still don't get the joke... You're going to confuse people who don't attend the stream by calling me that. :P

Update: 

Yeah, speaking of Athena, I roughed in the Castor 30 model. 

jgo7Yyz.png

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Obviously I'm not done, but as I just started with this new program, I like to know how I'm doing. :)

Edited by VenomousRequiem

17 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Is the heat-shield integrated into the capsule?

Yup!

24f0fbc004.jpg 1359baf1d0.jpg
68d8c697fc.jpg 00dfe26483.jpg

Looking great so far! Also, how the heck are you inserting pictures? I killed the quote trying to remove them...

Thanks!

And, I just place them inside a table for layout :) 

Edited by Beale

@VenomousRequiem Looks fine. As always, try and find some more details to sneak in.

@Beale I'm hesitant about having a build in heatshield, since then you're carrying ablator etc even in a big G configuration. Would it be possible to cut it off, and have it be modeled like the Mercury/Hermes heatshield in BDB? Where essentially your decoupler acts as a fairing for it due to the node placement.

@fs10inator Looking good! Again, H1 always looks so fragile to me. I might try and sneak the cryogenic upper stage into the Centaur revamp next update, see if anyone notices. (0_0)

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

@fs10inator Looking good! Again, H1 always looks so fragile to me. I might try and sneak the cryogenic upper stage into the Centaur revamp next update, see if anyone notices. (0_0)

Oh, it gets even better: having all 9 Castor-2 strap-on boosters separate in unison with a little help from your mod's Promtheus sep motors, which in turn, made the effect look 9 times better!
NF0nNrQ.jpg?1