[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

Really loving this pack coupled with Tantares. I can't really fault any of the parts. :)

One thing I'd love to see is some kind of partswitching that allows me to get rid of surplus nodes on some of the modules. For instance if I didn't want to use a node or two on the part with the four attach nodes around the outside of it it could be covered over.

Having looked at pictures of the ISS on orbit it seems that the actual airlock points down towards the Earth, this makes the internal on the QU-35T part upside down.USOS_window_identification.png

Is there a way to flip the internal around by modifying the part file at all?

Whenever @benjee10 is ready to update this mod again, there's a couple things I want to see.

• A part to attach the truss to Destiny, like I've mentioned several times before. This is my biggest request.
  • A revamp of Z1 to put the angle of the sides facing the other way, as well as perhaps shaped so that P6 can be docked to the top if it and look nice.
  • An adapter between the diametre of P/S3 size and P/S4 size. Unless the real ISS doesn't have this--though from what I can tell, it does.
  • Some communication dishes and antennae.
  • An exposed facility for Kibō, perhaps with experiments and/or a robotic arm.
  • Canadarm2 and Canadahand if you want to try making IR parts.
  • ESPs with KIS support (Cormorant Aeronology already includes the ExPRESS).
  • Bits to stick on to Columbus and Quest.
  • A built in radiator to P/S4/6 to rotate with the solar panels.
  • BEAM!
  • IDAs, but, I'm not sure how necessary to KSP these would be in KSP. Plus, it seems like it'd be hard to include a part that in two separate docking ports on one part.
  • Any planned ISS parts like Nauka or canceled parts like the CRV.

Sorry for making this so long, I wanted it to be more than like two items at first, but it ended up being long. The ones in Bold are the ones I really want, but, of course this is here to inspire any ideas you want to work on.

Also, if anyone would be so kind as to create a Kerbalism config for these parts (and Tantares assuming those are the parts one would use for Russian modules), please share it here.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have a feedback on C-8M Berthing Connector. After nearly one hour of countless tries to dock laboratory to the station with the help of Docking Alignment Indicator and MechJeb I was forced to remove few lines from the config file of this part, because the connectors refused to dock. There was magnetism present, connectors were attached with the right orientation (that's another story :) ), but no joy. I compared your config with stock ones and leave there only following lines.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleDockingNode
        referenceAttachNode = dockingNode
        nodeType = size1
        stagingEnabled = False
    }

And now my Kerbals are happy again, because they survived my frustration and desire to throw out whole save file :)

If there was problem with rotation of connectors against each other, then it wil be nice to have some visual cue how to orient them when in design mode.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:24 PM, maja said:

If there was problem with rotation of connectors against each other, then it wil be nice to have some visual cue how to orient them when in design mode.

I've never had any problems with this part. Admittedly, it is difficult to tell which side of the port is the docking side (the grey stripe faces toward the ship). As for visual clues to rotation, look at those pedal/leaf things. There's a gap between two where you'd want the other port's to go. I haven't confirmed if these parts do restrict you to rotation like that, because I always do use them like that.

7 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I've never had any problems with this part. Admittedly, it is difficult to tell which side of the port is the docking side (the grey stripe faces toward the ship). As for visual clues to rotation, look at those pedal/leaf things. There's a gap between two where you'd want the other port's to go. I haven't confirmed if these parts do restrict you to rotation like that, because I always do use them like that.

I've had problem nearly with every one until that edit of cfg, but they docked at the end. I'm not sure right now, how the paddles were oriented against each other. I can check that later.

I've had learned about that grey stripe side during a test of undocking on the runway.

EDIT: I checked the position of the paddles and they were mostly against each other and all but one pair of docking ports mated.

Edited by maja

• 4 weeks later...

Happy Panda eager for news on this mod, anything I can do to help @benjee10 ? Glad to do any testing or anything else that might help. This mod was great when I was building the ISS on KSPTV! :D

Please note this is not a request to 'update now!' but more an 'Can I do anything to help' offer. :D

One thing I would like to see (and I find this more an annoyance than a "Grrrrr" issue) is a cfg for the Quest module that adds a stacking node for expendable/non-shuttle launch vehicles.  I know it's supposed to be a re-creation of the actual ISS, but those of us who don't use shuttles have to add one manually, and that can be a pain sometimes...  (Of course, if anyone wants a copy of my edited cfg, I'm happy to share.  It doesn't put the node directly on the module, but it's close.)

Other than that and the docking port issue (both of which I've taken care of on my install), everything seems to work well in 1.2.

I've even gotten used to Nyan cat flying across my screen during loading... though I will still be happy when it disappears next Tuesday.

Edited by AdmiralSirJohn

• 3 weeks later...

Will be taking the mod in a new direction next update, away from the straight ISS-replica and more towards a near-future sci-fi style, inspired by the modules in The Martian and the upcoming film Life. The old parts will still be available as a 'legacy' download and I will endeavour to keep them working as KSP updates but no new things will be added to them. 

No ETA yet but here's a sneak peak at the work I've done on the overhaul (HabTech Revised? HabTech 2? HabTech: Dawn of Justice?):

3ax2cXl.png

Baseline module

Z3DtL2F.pngbvQEOxj.png

Airlock module

The plan is to make each module look very distinctive but maintaining a coherent style and colour scheme. So different panel patterns and window arrangements etc. I'll be keeping a few parts on from the previous version like the Cupola (with some slight modifications) since they pretty much fit the newer art style anyway. 

Let me know what you think!

#ModsNotDed

Edited by benjee10

57 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Will be taking the mod in a new direction next update, away from the straight ISS-replica and more towards a near-future sci-fi style, inspired by the modules in The Martian and the upcoming film Life. The old parts will still be available as a 'legacy' download and I will endeavour to keep them working as KSP updates but no new things will be added to them. 

No ETA yet but here's a sneak peak at the work I've done on the overhaul (HabTech Revised? HabTech 2? HabTech: Dawn of Justice?):

~Pic Snip~

The plan is to make each module look very distinctive but maintaining a coherent style and colour scheme. So different panel patterns and window arrangements etc. I'll be keeping a few parts on from the previous version like the Cupola (with some slight modifications) since they pretty much fit the newer art style anyway. 

#ModsNotDed

I love this idea! There are only so many parts that can be made if you only take inspiration from ISS. With the addition of near-future and sci-fi and dare I say it, alternate history, a great many possibilities open up.

I vote for HabTech 2 :wink:

#ModsNotDed

27 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Oh now that is cool @benjee10. Good to have you back.

It may rival with @cxg2827's station parts.

Though I think we should have node covers as well.

PS: How's direct going?

They're going in separate directions now. @cxg2827 is trying to do BDB/porkalike ISS replica parts, while @benjee10 is going for more kerbal-y porkalike parts.

7 minutes ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

Can someone tell me how to install this fantastic Mod correctly :rolleyes:

I put the _MACOSX and the HabTech_0.1.7.5 Files in my GameData File. Just as i did with previous mods.

But when i start KSP i can't see any new parts added :(

This might be an easy to problem but i can't get it done.

HabTech_0.1.7.5 is the container folder. Inside that is a GameData folder. You want to take the HabTech folder from inside that and place it in your GameData folder.

9 minutes ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

Can someone tell me how to install this fantastic Mod correctly :rolleyes:

I put the _MACOSX and the HabTech_0.1.7.5 Files in my GameData File. Just as i did with previous mods.

But when i start KSP i can't see any new parts added :(

This might be an easy to problem but i can't get it done.

Holy crap how did you have any previous mods work? 0.o I'm surprised that worked at all. Most mods are sensitive to what directory you put them in.

21 minutes ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

Thanks for helping me out.

I tend to be an idiot at times.

i unpacked other mods to, but i somehow thought, that this would be the version i had to put in... Dont really know why.

Sorry for my idiotic question^^

Everything is working now then? :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2016-11-13 at 10:25 AM, benjee10 said:

#ModsNotDed

will this run better or worse than the old one?