Are you a cheater??

Parv Kerman

4 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's not cheating. That's assuming that the actual engineers and construction workers realized what you wanted and put it on that way before even launching.

Well, I actually RP'd that the engineers EVA'd, detached the satellites, unbolted the docking ports and flipped them over, and put the everything back together out in deep space.

Happy landings!

for me using mechjeb isn't cheating. I let it calculate TWR and delta-v, tweak or even create maneuvers with it and use the autopilot for long or boring or sequential burns... 

Alt-f12´ing myself out of a pickle the game served me won't be considered cheating, too. I consider something cheating if what I am doing is "wrong" and I know it. like giving another few m/s to my rocket when I misplanned or mispiloted a vessel. then I just whistle nonchalantly and am happy that I don't have to spend another few hours of my lifetime to rerun the mission or stage an overly complicated rescue.

of course in challenges all of that is a no go and I would consider it foul play.

I use quickloads and reverts to the point that catastrophic failures officially never happen at all (I mess up quite often, I just try everything again and again until it works), if you want to consider this cheating. But since I'm using a stock feature, it technically is no cheating.

I guess in singleplayer games this and the things others have mentioned, like HyperEdit, Alt+F12 or MechJeb, can be best characterised as "decreasing your difficulty setting".

I'm sort of in the middle of the road on this, I suppose.  I don't cheat to advance my game, but I will use alt-F12 and HyperEdit to set up screenshots for my fan-fiction story if there's no other way to do it.  Like in this picture:

EzOGReI.png

I launched and landed the small base on the right without cheating in any way.  But according to my storyline, the little "porch" to the left was built from scrap parts from a nearby wreck.  The only way I could add this section was to use HyperEdit.  In this case, because it's only cosmetic, and doesn't really advance my career in any way, I don't mind using HE to save time.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

That's not cheating. That's assuming that the actual engineers and construction workers realized what you wanted and put it on that way before even launching.

Actually, I recall from Chuck Yeager's autobiography an incident where some assembly line worker was putting a bolt on a plane upside down vs the blueprint's specifications, which was resulting in one of the control surfaces binding during certain maneuvers (I forget which control surface or what maneuver exactly), resulting in crashed planes and dead pilots.

So no, I wouldn't say that workers would necessarily be a guard against derp.  They may even be the SOURCE of the derp - this fellow didn't like putting the bolt in the way the blueprints specified since it was "upside down" to his own personal reckoning (ie he probably put the bolt on the top and the nut on the bottom, as the "the way it ought to be" and the plans called for the opposite, or vice versa).  It wasn't that the plans or directions were unclear..he intentionally reversed the decision.

That being said, of course, the Sr. ports aren't very clear as to which way they go on.. the smaller ones have a skirt that gives them a more directional look that the Sr ports lack.   Thus, if it's a Sr. port, I'd lay the problem on UI/part graphics design and thus on Squad and happily flip the port over in the save file.  I actually had one of those issues myself once.

I think using MechJeb is NOT cheating! All probes in REALITY are remote controlled to complete complex maneuvers. Sometimes I use Vessel Mover for cinematics. HyperEdit and Debug is used for performance tests.

If you think you CAN'T be a cheater, you CAN'T even use maneuver nodes!

8 hours ago, StarStryder said:

I use Hyperedit, but I justify it as simulation.  I use it to send my landers to their target body so I can test it.  IRL they'd do this stuff with computer simulation so it's no different.  Once I think I have a working craft, I launch and fly it properly for the actual mission.

Try using KRASH, which is designed for this purpose.

If you are playing career, it won't let you simulate a body you haven't gotten to yet

Just the other day I found a cool way to field-test a transfer ship without all that pesky waiting around for transfer windows. I mean, sure I'll do it when I play for real, but during testing I ain't time warping to no transfer window.

Do your ejection burn so your Sun orbit goes to the planet you are transferring to, and then time warp out of Kerbin's SOI. Then in Hyperedit's Graphical Orbit mode, change the Argument of Periapsis until you get an encounter with the planet.

As ever, Hyperedit continues to be an amazing tool. That - incidentally - is not cheating. :wink:

The only mods I use are BDArmoury, and I'm trying to get a few other small mods to work (Kerbinside and Adjustable Landing Gear). I use Infinite Fuel when I'm testing planes, I almost always use Unbreakable Joints and No Crash Damage, which only seem to work half the time. When I'm testing a fast reentry or a fast plane, I use No Reentry Heating. I'm thinking of using HyperEdit though. I also use Infinite Fuel if I run out of fuel during a mission, because I'm horrible at selecting a landing point for rescues, or if I'm in the middle of a burn or landing, but then I abort the mission and go straight back to Kerbin. My first Duna landing was done with Infinite Fuel and the Kerbal X.

11 hours ago, p1t1o said:

If MechJeb is cheating, then by extrapolation owning the computer you are using is cheating and you should be playing KSP by making all the computations in your head (no pen+paper, thats cheating) and imagining the outcomes.

Using MechJeb is ok but claiming this is not okay IMO... 

There is stock which is nice because it is same for everyone.

Then there are mods that make the game harder (RSS/RO/DeadlyRe-entry, life support) which are fine for people who want more challenge

Then there are "neutral" mods (mostly visual mods) which are also fine because they don't really alter the actual gameplay

And then there are mods that make the game easier (OP part mods, infinite fuel, autopiloting) which ARE ALSO OKAY TO USE BUT you shouldn't then IMHO compare your achievements with those playing stock. Since some things are significantly harder/impossible to achieve in stock compared to different mods. I mean I could easily (using just my computer which seems to be the point of the poster I quoted, since he/she compares playing without mechjeb to doing all simulations, aka playing the game, purely in your imagination) edit the config files of stock parts to "mod" the game myself to achieve anything imaginable... 

So it is okay to use mods that make the gameplay easier but you should then admit that you have used them and your achievements are not really comparable to those using stock because of using said mods...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.