What makes you feel old?

crasher925

11 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Simply knowing (or using!) the name @Rosco P. Coltrane and growing up on the original should help you feel old!

Well, yes and no. Yes because they are all old or passed away... Wait, that's Bo Duke? Holly! I guess the good ol' boy is now a good ol' f**rt. :D  Somebody call Willy Nelson and have him change those lyrics.

But at the same time, no, because I was born in '81, so the show has always felt like the past to me... which it technically was as it ended in '77, '78?

14 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I first played Super Mario 64 at a store called Hill's on a N64 display*. This makes me feel old.

* I can't tell you how awesome it was to have both an analogue controller and complete freedom of movement in a game, what a massive leap that was.

ahh the N64 i spent countless hours playing zelda on that thing i still play OoT and Majora's Mask!

On 11/19/2016 at 9:59 AM, Rosco P. Coltrane said:

Well, yes and no. Yes because they are all old or passed away... Wait, that's Bo Duke? Holly! I guess the good ol' boy is now a good ol' f**rt. :D  Somebody call Willy Nelson and have him change those lyrics.

But at the same time, no, because I was born in '81, so the show has always felt like the past to me... which it technically was as it ended in '77, '78?

That was Waylon, not Wille.  I couldn't wait for The Dukes to come on every week.

We never owned a Pong system, but I remember playing one in the electronics department at JCPenny. The first video game system we owned was an Atari VCS (pre-2600-branding). A while later we bought an Atari 5200. When that got old it was all computer games all the time, the next console I bought was a Wii on about 2007.

The funny thing is I wasn't much of one to watch TV when I was a kid. There were some shows I really liked, like Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers, but if there wasn't anything on that I really wanted to watch I would usually find something else to do, like read or write. I was really into wargaming from about the age of 9, so I was usually in my room writing up scenarios or playing out games solitaire, or even writing entire games whole cloth. I actually remember my mom coming into my room at one point and asking, "So, don't you want to come out and watch TV with us?" And I was all, "No, I'm busy, thanks." I'm pretty sure I'd be diagnosed with something these days. My dad, however, loved Dukes of Hazzard, A-Team, Knight Rider, Six-Million-Dollar Man, all the shows in that vein. So I wound up seeing a lot of those anyway.

On 11/16/2016 at 11:27 AM, NSEP said:

Most TV shows for kids are now 3D animated, back in my day, that was rare back in my day.

And they're incredibly stupid and badly done. When animation became easy to produce, overproduction started and the average quality of it fell down tremendously.

I'm an 80s child and I can't stand watching that crap. It's not inventive, it's inane, badly animated, with grotesque, bad art.

One more thing that really makes me sad - the quality of music nowdays, and I'm not talking about the art, but the actual sound.

Most younger people nowdays don't even know the sound of proper high fidelity music. They mainly use YouTube playing stuff at 360p which usually has even less than 128 kbps, highly compressed audio. Whole generations oblivious of what good sound sounds like. How tragic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a nutty audiophile, but the quality of sound raising the appreciation of music for new generations is appaling.

What makes me feel old is to watch all the old things about KSP, This community, And life in general change, And for some reason not being able to keep up. I still remember when i started playing KSP: The mods were on spaceport. Planet packs didnt exist yet, And the dev team was intact. Not to mention the game was still in alpha. Now the mods are spread between a phenomenal fan site (spacedock.info) and an atrocious official site (curseforge). The game is long past official release. Most of the devs i came to know and love are gone, Replaced by people i cant even memorize the names of. I remember the very first popular planet packs: Sentar by @Kragrathea, And Urania by @Sido, Both practically forgotten now, Despite the impact they originally had. Every day i log onto the forum and it feels like the party is over and the lights are going out. Now you might think that based on these ramblings i'm actually old. But in fact i'm only sixteen.

20 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

I'm an 80s child and I can't stand watching that crap. It's not inventive, it's inane, badly animated, with grotesque, bad art.

Do yourself a favor and never, ever go back and watch those great Saturday Morning cartoons you're remembering right now.

They were just as bad as the stuff today. Sometimes worse.

*sniff* Star Blazers *sniff*

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Do yourself a favor and never, ever go back and watch those great Saturday Morning cartoons you're remembering right now.

I agree here. Not everything is as good as you remember it. But should you see them again you might not like them as much, It may even spoil the good memories.

That said... Modern cartoons are utter crap, Especially the Japanese animé. Poor animation (Do you ever even see their mouths moving? They don't! One second they are closed, And the next: INHUMANLY WIDE OPEN!), Poor standards, and senseless amounts of sex and violence for little reason other than to titillate the hormonally unstable adolescent. Honestly my favourite cartoon show would have to be Scooby-doo where are you, Its positively ancient but at least the story was good, fun, and ageless, Not to mention well designed.

12 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Simpsons ages like wine. Beavis and Butt-head aged like... milk.

Realizing that I've lived more than half my life in the previous century.

Realizing that people born this century are getting to driver's license age.

Being an age that is more than half the life expectancy here.

Hearing the music I loved in high school and university on "classic rock" radio stations.

Still listening to radio stations.

Being born before any of the Star Wars movies.

Knowing how save those 10 more kB of memory you need to launch Wing Commander 2.

Edit : or was it WC1 ? Soooo long ago...

Edited by sarbian

16 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Knowing how save those 10 more kB of memory you need to launch Wing Commander 2.

Proving you were way smarter than me, even way back then. I am guessing something like load high in the autoexec.bat? 

Of course if you ever tinkered with an autoexec file you might be old.

On 11/19/2016 at 11:23 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

wow%20pong%20sdfsdfsd.jpg

I was just reading some of the thread to my wife. Got to pong and she added, "Remember if you left it on too long it would burn the image into your screen?" 

I was always more of an asteroids player myself.

6 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Of course if you ever tinkered with an autoexec file you might be old.

Different boot disks, depending on which game you were loading.

Or playing Sierra games on a computer with no hard drive.  (Insert disk 3 of 10 to continue.)

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Most younger people nowdays don't even know the sound of proper high fidelity music. They mainly use YouTube playing stuff at 360p which usually has even less than 128 kbps, highly compressed audio. Whole generations oblivious of what good sound sounds like. How tragic.

Are they really missing much, though?  It's not like they're listening on quality stereo equipment.  Earbuds plugged into a smartphone or through the car speakers doesn't really help with the quality, either.

4 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

Proving you were way smarter than me, even way back then. I am guessing something like load high in the autoexec.bat? 

It was a little more involved than that because WC(2?) required more memory than most games. If I remember I had to install DR-DOS 5 and play with its new memory option to get something like 604Kb of free memory.

6 minutes ago, razark said:

Earbuds plugged into a smartphone or through the car speakers doesn't really help with the quality, either.

Yeah, we (slightly) old people had such high quality car stereo ! Tape players and bargains speaker could reproduce the high fidelity of our best of Queen tape mix we copied on our best friend boombox.

40 minutes ago, sarbian said:

It was a little more involved than that because WC(2?) required more memory than most games. If I remember I had to install DR-DOS 5 and play with its new memory option to get something like 604Kb of free memory.

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

Often followed by manual configuration of the sound card's IRQs...

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Being born before any of the Star Wars movies.

Went to see Star Wars 3-1/2 times in the theaters. Without my parents. (The 1/2 time my brother and I showed up to buy our tickets half way through the previous show and the theater owner, who also happened to be running the box office, let us sit through the half show before the next show began.) I've had an unbroken streak of seeing every Star Wars movie in the theater on opening weekend.

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Yeah, we (slightly) old people had such high quality car stereo ! Tape players and bargains speaker could reproduce the high fidelity of our best of Queen tape mix we copied on our best friend boombox.

Eight-track! Hearing that cluck-clunk of the tape switching directions right in the middle of your song.

35 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

Often followed by manual configuration of the sound card's IRQs...

Setting IRQs and memory ranges on your cards with DIP switches or even <gasp> jumpers. And therefore having to plan out your IRQ and memory configuration on paper while you were setting up the computer. Then booting the computer up and having it error out because of an IRQ or memory conflict and having to shut it down and take it all apart and look at every card's settings to figure out what you screwed up. Good times! LOL

But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to show me up as the young whippersnapper I am. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.