Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

My place is also aside of hills aka mountains, so every second street has visible "up" and "down" directions, while another second has it twice at the ends of the arc.

It's very handy, as needs just one word ("ascend" or "descend") to describe the way.

Edited by kerbiloid

11 hours ago, YNM said:

A truly good person don't drive and rides public transport.

(tell them to get one if there isn't one.)

Even paramedics?

This doesnt quite pan out in the modern world, the distances are too great and the need for long distance, rapid travel is too critical. You know we all starve if we take all the lorries off the road?

At the very least, putting it up as the boundary of "true goodness" is quite harsh.

I drive my commute because its cheaper than public transport, prices are crazy here. 

57 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Even paramedics?

Yeah. They're better off whem the roads are emptier, where people utilize more PT or cycle on a segregated place.

57 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

the distances are too great and the need for long distance, rapid travel is too critical.

That's just US cities being too spread out and lenient to enable automobile greatly. Where I live* the choice is either a 2 hr jam on the road or 1 hr journey on a crammed commuter train - guess which one you choose.

* the nation's capital, which houses 30 million people. I'm originally from one of the suburbs; where I currently live is in another city ~120 km away. Where I actually live has only share taxis which are dreadful.

Edited by YNM

I made a cheap joke in today's music class ("ges" in German sounds like "guess" in English, and we have an American exchange student). One of the other students then shook his head and looked at me as if he was about to kill me. Then he simply whispered "Careful".

I told him that he doesn't have to like my humor, and that I don't like it myself sometimes. I also said that he should pull himself together, to which he responded the same way.

I don't get people sometimes.

34 minutes ago, Delay said:

I don't get people sometimes.

The only people who appreciate puns are the people who make them. By which I mean nobody but you likes the pun you made. Exasperation is the only appropriate response to someone else punning.

Even if they would have made it themselves.

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Yeah. They're better off whem the roads are emptier, where people utilize more PT or cycle on a segregated place.

<snikt>

That's just US cities being too spread out and lenient to enable automobile greatly. Where I live* the choice is either a 2 hr jam on the road or 1 hr journey on a crammed commuter train - guess which one you choose.

* the nation's capital, which houses 30 million people. I'm originally from one of the suburbs; where I currently live is in another city ~120 km away. Where I actually live has only share taxis which are dreadful.

Thats a good point actually about the roads being clearer.

But one thing - Im not in the US, I think that the distances and critical need is a global point.

Who chooses a 2hr commute over 1hr? That is objectively stupid. 

edit: oh actually, *crammed* commuter train? For an hour? Hmmm...perhaps I was hasty... No, maybe not, I would deal with quite a lot to cut my commute in half, even a crammed train - but they are the worst. Its not like you cant handle it, but you have to handle it at your most tiredest, twice a day, 5 days a week...forever.

But 2hrs? No way.

Still, I know Im not "true" good, chaotic good at best, but its not because I drive ;)

PS: I would cycle more, bike was one of the first things I bought when I moved to London. But then it was stolen, no money for new bike and life changing anyway and a car became the best option. It is almost never as simple as "You should cycle/bus/walk so go do".

Tell you what though, Im looking forward to the next generation of electric cars, I will have no problem swapping over. Not that they are a golden bullet until we have clean electricity, but its a step in the right direction. Its hard to believe that combustion engines will be a thing of the past on our roads (here in europe) within the next few decades, thats happening.

Edited by p1t1o

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

Im looking forward to the next generation of electric cars, I will have no problem swapping over.

I'm not saying that cars are entirely a "no" - the Japanese love their scenic driveways (plus cars are the only way for them to 'show off'), and the Netherlanders like road trips (hence their large motorway system, which also has to cope with the continent's truck traffic) - but cars in urban spaces are more than dead to me. If it's possible, I'd avoid driving inside cities.

(Though to be fair we have these, and it seems like we're liking them as much as americans like their cars. (at least they're way smaller ?))

But yeah. I'd argue that the design approach that we take for urban areas should try to curb down the use of motorized vehicles. I don't say that roads and motorways shouldn't exist, but large vehicles are just such a bad fit for urban areas. As long as they're bigger, electric and/or autonomous cars in cities are nothing less than a 'fake stopgap' (and if anything, a new impetus to 'drive').

23 minutes ago, YNM said:

I'm not saying that cars are entirely a "no" - the Japanese love their scenic driveways (plus cars are the only way for them to 'show off'), and the Netherlanders like road trips (hence their large motorway system, which also has to cope with the continent's truck traffic) - but cars in urban spaces are more than dead to me. If it's possible, I'd avoid driving inside cities.

(Though to be fair we have these, and it seems like we're liking them as much as americans like their cars. (at least they're way smaller ?))

But yeah. I'd argue that the design approach that we take for urban areas should try to curb down the use of motorized vehicles. I don't say that roads and motorways shouldn't exist, but large vehicles are just such a bad fit for urban areas. As long as they're bigger, electric and/or autonomous cars in cities are nothing less than a 'fake stopgap' (and if anything, a new impetus to 'drive').

For sure, heavy urban centres. Since they introduced the "congention charge" for traffic in London, I think it has improved a lot, although to be honest you still wouldnt voluntarily drive into central london unless you knew you had an hour to get back out. We have these new "cycle superhighways" too but Im not sure if they are well-loved or if they were just a political thing by the mayor.

When I lived in Los Angeles there were a couple of days where I had to take public transit (the bus) because of car trouble/scheduling problems. It turned my 1-1/4 hour commute (which was bad enough) into a 3-hour ordeal that started at 4:30 in the morning and gave me the option of getting to work either half-an-hour early or 15 minutes late. I didn't arrive home until about 8:30 at night. It was, how shall we say, less than ideal.

Where I live now, the only public transport options are either the little shuttle bus that runs around downtown or taxis. The shuttle bus doesn't come within 15 miles of my house, so that's not really an option. A taxi would do nobody any good: it would burn twice as much gas driving out to my house to pick me up, and it would cost the moon. I could bike, I suppose. But that would convert my 20-minute commute into an hour-and-20-minute commute, and with the way the silver-hairs drive around here I would be taking my life into my own hands.

If big-city politicians were really concerned about the environment/quality-of-life/traffic/etc then what they would do is structure their taxes/urban development packages to push businesses out of the urban centers and into the suburbs so that people could live near where they work. 50 years ago businesses needed to be close together to function, but technology has made that mostly unnecessary. But the reality is that what politicians love more than all of those things they pay lip-service to is the tax money that big companies in giant office towers pay into their coffers. If I 2.2b'd there, apologies in advance.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

push businesses out of the urban centers and into the suburbs so that people could live near where they work.

You just end up with people commuting between suburbs. Plenty of examples.

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

We have these new "cycle superhighways" too but Im not sure if they are well-loved or if they were just a political thing by the mayor.

They're the first step in making the city as a whole less car friendly and more bike friendly.

The capital here now have a very good population density to potentially make a very car-hostile environment (yet is full with PT), however the latest calls have been for urban tollroads so I'm still not sure. We might be yet another L.A. .

7 minutes ago, YNM said:

You just end up with people commuting between suburbs. Plenty of examples.

Fair enough. But at least you break up the massive gridlock of every person in the city trying to get downtown at 8:00am. That has to amount to something.

I can't find the time in the day to practice playing on the piano. Consequentally I can't even play a simple melody (even without chords, just one hand with one note at a time), making me even more demotivated because I can expect better from myself.

Help. I'm stuck.

Oh, and I also absolutely aced an exam in... guess what: music. I wrote it today, but trust me - you don't want to know how many mistakes I probably made in that one.

Edited by Delay

8 minutes ago, Delay said:

I can't find the time in the day to practice playing on the piano. Consequentally I can't even play a simple melody (even without chords, just one hand with one note at a time), making me even more demotivated because I can expect better from myself.

Sure you can, its just "experimental acid jazz" :)

46 minutes ago, Delay said:

Help. I'm stuck.

Do you have a friend who can do them ? Can you learn with them or so ? Not sure.

One thing you need to do with music is to continue doing them - the moment you stop, well it'll take time to go back.

I've lived in my condo for a year, and we're not really supposed to park on the street and instead use our garage to park, or driveway. For this whole year, while renovating several rooms, I've used the garage as a workshop and storage bin for garbage, so have been parking one car in the driveway and one in the street. Until a couple weeks ago, when we finished the last room (yay!) and I can finally organize, trash, or at least shove somewhere all the floatsam of construction.

And I just got a letter from the HOA warning me to stop parking on the street. Now they're going to think I did it because of them.

Edited by 5thHorseman