Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken

I feel I have made a really fun aircraft time trial mission in the 1.4 Mission Builder. I want to share. Now to move 1s and 0s from one computer to another. Oo I have a choice of letterheads. Mmm nice, lots can do it. Oh they are not all compatible. They do the same thing don't they? Oh no the groups of letters in the top left corner on the cover are different. SQUAD will point me in the right direction. Curse letterhead wow. Its difficult to even view the page with the advertising spammed at the screen, chug chug, such warm feeling for the products NOT.  Sign up, ba ha ha ha ha. Oh I can share Missions here. Nope cant do that either cause I'll need another different Letterhead for the 1s and 0s I wish to share to put in this letterhead but this letterhead is not compatible with that letterhead and I need to sign up to that letterhead too? Oh the kerbalX letterhead doesn't need a third party letterhead. Oh they want a photo. So I do need another letterhead to put the only picture of craft 1s and 0s under this letterhead. Score! I don't need to sign up to the picture 1s and 0s sharing letterhead. Sweet again! just copy and the paste a few characters from the only pictures 1s and 0s sharing letterhead to the only KSP 1s and 0s sharing letterhead. Doh nope. The KSP 1s and 0s sharing letterhead isn't compatible with the only picture sharing letterheads pictures 1s and 0s. i did what it said. Three clicks. Click the copy button and two clicks to paste into the box for the Picture 1s and 0s in the KSP 1s and 0s sharing letterhead. Nope. Strike 3.

FLY, Build, Pull out your hair.

Rant over.

We can travel across the Atlantic ocean in two hours, we can get rid of entire cities in the blink of an eye, and I can talk to someone in the opposite time zone instantaneously. Can someone please explain to me why we can't get a WalMart Cashier to scan a gift card?

5 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

We can travel across the Atlantic ocean in two hours, we can get rid of entire cities in the blink of an eye, and I can talk to someone in the opposite time zone instantaneously. Can someone please explain to me why we can't get a WalMart Cashier to scan a gift card?

Because employers skimp on training their staff. They spend money on new features and don't show their employees how to use them, or often do not even tell the employees the new feature exists. As someone who works with the public, I cannot count the number of times I have been left in this position. Please keep in mind that the person you're talking to is almost never the person who actually created the mess you're both stuck dealing with. 

10 minutes ago, razark said:

And increasingly find ways to get rid of staff, like replacing cashiers with self-checkout.

And IF I wanted self-check-out, I'd just order everything from Amazon!

The Wal-mart here seems to put the most incompetent person to oversee the eight self-checkouts. And what's worse, the optical scanners don't work too well and the things are slow. In fact, it reminds me of Tim Conway's character, "the oldest man".

On 3/19/2018 at 12:15 PM, p1t1o said:

The state-of-the-art when I was at uni was to create a document in word, ... snip

A manual typewriter and some whiteout.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:05 PM, adsii1970 said:

My coffee cup is empty, again...

(Legitimate complaint) :D

Personally, I think that's the only legitimate complaint one can have in life.

1 hour ago, razark said:

And increasingly find ways to get rid of staff, like replacing cashiers with self-checkout.

Don't worry, soon enough even self-checkout will be history. Next big wave coming is super teeny-tiny little RFID chips embedded in everything (food included), where you'll just fill your cart/wagon with goods and roll it out the door. Everything will be instantly scanned, including you, as you'll be implanted with RFID as well.

Edited by LordFerret

4 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Because employers skimp on training their staff. They spend money on new features and don't show their employees how to use them, or often do not even tell the employees the new feature exists. As someone who works with the public, I cannot count the number of times I have been left in this position. Please keep in mind that the person you're talking to is almost never the person who actually created the mess you're both stuck dealing with. 

There's that too. I've always wondered... Is the stereotype true that people whose jobs focus on customer service type things are totally incompetent? (Ie... Cashier, Forum Moderator....) Nah, joking. 

I can't stand people who say stuff that trashes people who work in customer service, generally people who like to say go get the manager. Hey little old lady who thought her Subway sandwich was wrong, YOU try taking some impatient obese American old lady's Subway order

Rant over.

That does seem true though. I can see why companies are willing to skip on training costs. That's for that bit of wisdom :)

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

15 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

why we can't get a WalMart Cashier to scan a gift card?

Because cashier doesn't have his/her own gift card?

9 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

And IF I wanted self-check-out, I'd just order everything from Amazon!

Btw a new theme for Amazon: live cashier.

Just pay more and wait a little while a cashier rides to your place to receive the payment.

My Mom replugged the homeplug connected to the modem and now the homeplug, and the rest of my entire ethernet connection is broken. I worked over a year to find a solution to my broken ethernet connection, and now its back to broken again :mad:

What went wrong here? She just pulled it in and out of the socket again, and now the whole thing is not working?

Just now, NSEP said:

My Mom replugged the homeplug connected to the modem and now the homeplug, and the rest of my entire ethernet connection is broken. I worked over a year to find a solution to my broken ethernet connection, and now its back to broken again :mad:

What went wrong here? She just pulled it in and out of the socket again, and now the whole thing is not working?

Are you using one of your computers to act as a gateway server?

9 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Are you using one of your computers to act as a gateway server?

I don't know. I don't think so.

Just another thing to add: I have 1 homeplug connected to the modem downstairs and one to the computer upstars. The one downstairs is the one that stops working all the time.

6 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I don't know. I don't think so.

Just another thing to add: I have 1 homeplug connected to the modem downstairs and one to the computer upstars. The one downstairs is the one that stops working all the time.

That helps some. How old is that modem?

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

That helps some. How old is that modem?

The modem is 1 year old, not that old. One of the homeplugs could be 7 years old however.

3 minutes ago, NSEP said:

The modem is 1 year old, not that old. One of the homeplugs could be 7 years old however.

When you are talking about a home plug, are you referring to a hard-wired Ethernet system within your house? I installed those for a living in the mid 1990s...

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

When you are talking about a home plug, are you referring to a hard-wired Ethernet system within your house? I installed those for a living in the mid 1990s...

Yes. I think so at least.

1 minute ago, NSEP said:

Yes. I think so at least.

Ugh, let me ask you this... do your connectivity issues seem to coincide with changes in humidity or temperature?

(I'm hoping the answer is no).

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ugh, let me ask you this... do your connectivity issues seem to coincide with changes in humidity or temperature?

(I'm hoping the answer is no).

No, not at all.

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

No, not at all.

Good, at least that's that. It could be something as silly as a bad line to the wall, a loose socket plate... Those are pretty easy to fix. Is it just one computer that's having issues or is it every computer hooked to the system?

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Good, at least that's that. It could be something as silly as a bad line to the wall, a loose socket plate... Those are pretty easy to fix. Is it just one computer that's having issues or is it every computer hooked to the system?

There is only one computer hooked to the system, wich is not connected due to the problem downstairs.

Part of me thinks the problem is being caused by the ethernet cable, because the ethernet cable connected to the modem doesn't seem like its being detected by the homeplug.

I have a couple ethernet over power adapters, and I dunno about yours, but mine get HOT.

I also had to replace a bunch of capacitors in half of them.

Crack the problem one open and see if any of the cap vents are bulging.

12 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Look at the plug on the back of the computer where the plug goes. If it is receiving traffic, it should flash either green or orange (or maybe yellow), depending on who made the computer.

I plugged in a new cable, this time the little light actually flashed, and after a while of waiting, it finally fired back on!

Thanks for your help @adsii1970 and thanks Mom for indirectly making me learn new things on accident!

14 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I have a couple ethernet over power adapters, and I dunno about yours, but mine get HOT.

I also had to replace a bunch of capacitors in half of them.

Crack the problem one open and see if any of the cap vents are bulging.

Mine only got somewhat warm, luckily.