[DISCONTINUED] Intergalactic Development Thread

EricL

Spoiler

Intergalactic is an upcoming mod that aims to add galaxies to KSP, and also provides a new universe for your brave Kerbals to explore in. This has been in the works for a few months now, but I think it's finally stable enough for a dev thread of its own. Also, suggestions are appreciated :)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

screenshot120.png?dl=1

screenshot245.png

screenshot16.png?dl=1

screenshot187.png

An overview of the Universe:

Spoiler

The Kerbal Galaxy:

Kerbitarius A* - The central black hole of the Kerbal Galaxy. Also the Kraken's home.

--Inner Cluster of Stars--

Kepler-296 - A binary system with 5 planets.

• 296A - primary component of the binary.
    • 296Ac - gas dwarf.
    • 296Ab - a large desert planet, with a very thin atmosphere. Good luck trying to land here!
    • 296Ad - water giant.
    • 296Ae - another large potentially habitable planet. Tidally locked.
    • 296Af - the most promising habitable planet of the system. Has a large ice cap on the night side.
  • 296B - secondary component

Kerbol - the home system of the Kerbals.

• Paramon - hot Jool, with an atmosphere literally evaporating. Has 3 moons.
  • Kerbin - home planet of the Kerbals. The new ravamp makes it a very dry, desert-like world, and the proximity to Kerbol isn't helping much.
  • Duna - a dead world, the result of a collision with its ancient moon Ike.
  • Dres - a rock that looks like a grain of sand. Also a very boring place to visit.
  • Jool - Jupiter analog, with a lot of moons!
  • Minmus - a small comet, just drifting through the Kerbol system.
  • Kronos - Saturn analog
  • Kitanis - Uranus analog, and also the most complete planetary system in the Kerbol system.
  • Poseidon - Neptune analog
  • Eeloo - a frozen dwarf planet

Kernis - a protostar near Kerbol. Has a few planets orbiting it, and hosts a large accretion disk.

Kreln - a quaternary star system, WIP

Trinus - A trinary system (:P) containing a few planets.

• Trinus AA-AB - binary system of orange dwarfs, with a few planets around it
    • Heta - A circumbinary planet orbiting extremely close to the Trinus AA-AB binary, so that it's starting to boil away.
    • Meare - a hot desert world with a poisonous atmosphere.
    • Arkon - a habitable Super-Kerbin with some life on it, but that life is limited due to the high temperatures. Has a large amount of moons, most of which are asteroids.
    • Stom - a large gas giant that offers a place to aerobrake into the system from a long interstellar journey. Has moons, but otherwise a pretty boring place.
  • Trinus B - a small red dwarf in the trinary system.
    • Carbix - a desert planet with a toxic atmosphere.
    • Toz - A dwarf planet that has picked up an accretion disk from the other objects in the asteroid belt
    • Tidor - As the name implies, a tidally locked habitable(?) planet

Kapteyn's Star - discovered by the legendary Kapteyn Kerman, this star contains some of the first exoplanets to be discovered by Kerbalkind.

Kepler-62 - Famously known for its amount of desert planets, this system also contains a potentially habitable planet, which makes this an interesting destination for scientists and astronomers.

Glacien - A mysterious white dwarf.

Unum Massa - a brown dwarf on the very edges of the galaxy. Not much is known about it except that it has an exoplanet orbiting it.

--Other random stars of varying spectral classes to fill the empty space, which can be identified by the prefix KS. The user has an option to remove these from the game--

The Kandromeda Galaxy:

Kandromeda - The central black hole of the closest galaxy to the Kerbal Galaxy.

Ogol - A star orbiting inside the galactic bulge of Kandromeda, contains a single icy world.

Please note that this list is in no way complete and will likely be updated in the future as I keep adding more celestial bodies to the mod.

Progress Chart:

Features Status
The Kernis System Almost finished
The Kreln System In development
Visuals In development

Also, please check out my youtube channel for occasional videos on the progress of this mod!

Thanks to:

@Thomas P. for maintaining and updating Kopernicus

@The White Guardian for his Kopernicus tutorials

@Gameslinx for his support and helping me debug a few issues

@ProtoJeb21, @Artyomka15, @StarCrusher96 and others who have inspired me to create this mod

And finally, please show some support for the mod by posting in the comments section below! At the moment, I really need some more motivation on developing this mod.

Edited by EricL
discontinued mod :(

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Let me get this clear, you will add multiple galaxies, each with multiple stars, each with their own planets , each possibly having moons?

Yes, that is what this mod will do. But I'm going to start off with adding just one galaxy for now. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I added the development playlist for Intergalactic, for those who want to see the mod in action. NOTE: These videos are outdated (back in the days of Kopernicus release 4) so it is in no way like how the mod is now!

Anyone have any ideas on what real-life systems I can put in here? Currently I have Kepler-62 and Kapteyn's star. (Tagging @ProtoJeb21)

----------------------------------------

In other news, I have decided to start doing a weekly progress report, so people can see how the mod is progressing! So...

screenshot21.png?dl=1

The Kerbol system revamp is going quite well, I hit a few snags early on but it's good now! Currently 2 out of 3 gas giants have been added, and all planets in the Kerbol system has at least 1 moon orbiting. There's also the lore, but I'm not going into that just yet. :wink:

The Kerbal Galaxy itself can be described as barebones, at the most. Currently only 5 systems are orbiting the central black hole (because there was a huge lighting issue when I added an inner cluster of stars) but I plan to add more after I finish with the Kerbol system. Kandromeda, the other galaxy, will be just another boring old black hole until I have the time to add some systems around it.

Stay tuned! :)

@EricL I think Kepler-296 would be a cool choice. It's a five-planet system around one member of a pair of binary red dwarfs, two in the habitable zone. Plus, I once used this system for IA-Revived, so it would be cool for it to once again be used in a Kopernicus planet pack. 

Other multi-planet systems you may want to use are HIP 41378, Kepler-55, Kepler-62,  HD 133131, and/or Gliese 3138.

On 9/20/2017 at 4:54 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

@EricL I think Kepler-296 would be a cool choice. It's a five-planet system around one member of a pair of binary red dwarfs, two in the habitable zone. Plus, I once used this system for IA-Revived, so it would be cool for it to once again be used in a Kopernicus planet pack.

I was just wondering... is it okay if I use the system from IA-Revived as a sort of base to develop the system from? It's understandable if you decline. :wink:

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@EricL  Instead of showing screenshots, could you make an overview of the universe. Showing Galaxies and Stars

I'm making a video of that right now, actually... I'll add it to the OP as soon as it's finished.

9 minutes ago, EricL said:

I was just wondering... is it okay if I use the system from IA-Revived as a sort of base to develop the system from? It's understandable if you decline. :wink:

No...because there's not much TO use as a base system :P. Seriously, it was just the two stars and one planet. That's it. You can use my artistic rendition of the system on the Whole Solar System thread for inspiration, however. It contains all the five planets and is a lot better than what I was originally going for with planet designs for IA-Revived. 

WEEKLY UPDATE

Progress on the mod has been a bit slow, what with school and everything, so... here's the scoop.

The Kerbol system is almost finished! All I need to add is Poseidon (Neptune analog) and its moon Krion (Triton analog) and the main bodies of the system should all be complete! I'll still need to alter the remaining stock bodies, which are Moho, Eve, Gilly, Kerbin, Mun, and the moons of Jool.

The Kepler-296 system has been added, with 2 planets - 296Ab and 296Ad (thank you to @ProtoJeb21 for his post in the Whole Solar System thread :wink:). Nothing much more to be said here, apart from the fact that I'm in the progress of creating the other 3 planets in the system (and giving 296Ab a makeover :P).

And that's about it! Small update today, but it's good progress!

screenshot22.png?dl=1

Paramon (the hot Jool) and all its moons.

Stay tuned!

I know it's a little early for this, but... I'm very slowly starting to add the visuals into the mod! :D

Currently, many bodies in the Kerbol system, as well as Kepler-296Ad, has scatterer support. I'm also planning on adding some clouds to 296Ad, after I complete the graphic overhaul of 296Ab.

Here's a screenshot!

screenshot23.png?dl=1

Kerbin and its moons

• 2 weeks later...

WEEKLY UPDATE

Been working a lot on the mod lately, and also I almost finished the Kerbol system, just need to add a few...minor...moons to the gas giants. I have also been experimenting with axially tilting planets using EVE clouds and using Blackrack's ring shaders which are built in to Kopernicus. Also trying out different combinations of PQS mods to generate planets so I wouldn't have to hand-make the textures myself. :P

In other news, I added a few sunflares to some of the different stars (still very WIP for now, so no screenshots :/) and clouds to the gas giant exoplanets (also WIP).

screenshot0.png?dl=1

Stay tuned!

WEEKLY UPDATE

I'm very very close to finishing up the Kerbol system! Although, I'm thinking of a very large overhaul to Kerbin itself, changing it so there's some more variety (as in starting out on a completely different world like in the Suthe mod). Additionally, I'm working on EVE + scatterer configs for the various atmospheric bodies in the system.

And with Kerbol almost complete, I've started moving on to different star systems and also worked on other things - particularly the lore. So the development of various "lore systems" is another main part of mod development. These lore systems will focus on providing a few planets to explore while also telling a backstory of the mod (which is still very WIP). I also plan for these planets to be very packed with easter eggs and a few other goodies. :wink:

Anyway, that's it for now! Please leave a comment down below for any suggestions or feedback for how I'm doing for this mod!

screenshot3.png?dl=1

Stay tuned!

• 4 weeks later...

WEEKLY UPDATE

So for the past few weeks, I've been wrapping up the Kerbol system and starting work on the Trinus system, Kerbol's second-closest neighbor (because trinary systems are always the best :P). Not much else to be said here, so...

screenshot70.png?dl=1

Very glitchy at the moment, but I'll try to fix it.

Additionally, I have been working on a complete overhaul of Kerbin. This new world features a large supercontinent and a vast ocean. I would describe it as... a very cool desert world, with some vegetation near the northern and southern ice caps.

screenshot135.png?dl=1

And as you can see, a skybox has also been implemented. Visuals optimization will come next after I've completed the Kerbol and Trinus systems.

Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...